RS4 3 EVO pulls to the left under acceleration..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlado13

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello, I have an HPI RS4 3 Evo RTR. I drove the car around a bit and realized the chassis was scraping, so I inserted a 4mm C spacer onto each shock to raise the ride height up a little bit. After doing this, my car pulls hard to the left under acceleration, and to the right under decceleration.. I removed the spacers, bringing the ride height back down, and the left/right pulls goes away..

My question is, does anyone know how I can raise the ride height, while still being able to keep the car driving in a straight line? I don't want the chassis to continue scraping to where it starts to damage the hardware underneath..

Thank your for your time.

Over time the deck is going to get scraped up, it's a sure thing with on road cars on unprepared surfaces like a city street...

As for the issue of turning while accelerating/decelerating, it's related to your front suspension setup. When you raise the ride height you are changing the camber angle. The Evo comes with different c-hubs IIRC to change the camber front and rear. You'll have to swap these out to change the camber. The toe links are fixed on the Evo as well, but you can get adjustable ones to change that as well...

I would get a camber gauge and check them at stock ride height and then mimic that setting with the new ride height...

I'm not a racer, just a basher, so someone might have some more exacting advice, but this is a start (and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!) :yes:

:p

Mark

Thanks for the reply! I'll have to get a camber gauge... I found out that my chassis was a little tweaked. I took the car apart and tweaked it back and it helped immensely, however the pulling is still a little present when I lift the height. I'm also wondering if one sides tires are breaking traction before the other. Still investigating that. Any thoughts?

I got the same problem with my RS4. When i put the spacers into shocks it was pulling left while accelarating. When it was at stock settings it was going straight. Additionally it is obvious that at reach HSN it pulls much more than at lean. Unfortunately when I was running it air temperatrure was 6 celsius degree so I was not able to check it at lean HSN.

My guess is that with the spacers, you're getting the shocks out very close to full extension, since there isn't a ton of travel on a TC anway. Under hard acceleration, the shocks extend all they can, and the contact patch is reduced enough that it pulls the car to the natural side the engine is torquing to. Only way to eliminate it, is too run the arms level or slightly below level, and deal with the bottoming (besides, sparks at night are cool :D); or you can try the shafty crawler method of putting more preload on the opposite corners to counteract it. I would think that would make for a very unbalanced setup in a TC though. And again, this is just my SWAG theory on this, nothing more.

I have an RS4 Evo 3 Also, here is what I noticed.

On the Passanger side rear (right, rear) the suspention doesn't fully extend as far as the driver side (left, rear) I have adjustable ride height shocks, and had to lower the left rear so it would match the full extension of the right side.

If your using spacers check if your suspension is extended more on the left rear then the right side (left side higher the right side). If so remove the spacer from the left rear only & check your rear suspension again. Try it out, don't forget to adjust your trim.

I've also adjusted my front Toe & Camber, getting the adjustable toe links is a bonus, tune to stabilize her at speeds real easy.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back