Revo Spur gear melting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SABRE FRENZY

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a 2004 Revo 2.5R with a 3.3 engine upgrade. For the first few months the 3.3 has been great. Wheeling and great power. Then all of a sudden I melted the spur gear running in longish grass. I then replaced the spur gear with another 38T gear and set-up as per the manual.

On the first run out it ran well for about a tank and then power started to drop off then it wouldn't move. On inspection I found I had completely stripped and melted all of the teeth on the spur gear. The engine was hot and I had a new shell without any vents.

I then installed a new spur gear and cut holes in the windshield and directly over the head. I took it out again it did the same thing this time even quicker.

This morning I installed my last spare and took it out on the road. This time I ran it without the shell so no air flow issues. After less than 1/4 of a tank I had melted the spur gear as per the picture below. I checked the engine temp and it was not that hot- I could keep my finger on the heat sink for about 30 seconds.

If anyone has any ideas before I melt more it would be great.... One thought is the alignment of the spur gear- does this look correct?

2013_08_25_16_33_57.jpg

2013_08_25_16_34_05.jpg

2013_08_25_16_46_33.jpg

2013_08_25_16_50_32.jpg

2013_08_25_16_52_51.jpg

That alignment looks off to me, has it always been this way? Also, did you set the gear mesh properly? Too tight a gear mesh will definitely generate heat. Doesn't sound like a loose slipper since it will still wheely.

as with all things like this is don't knew if it was out of alignment before.... I have just put a ruler across the chassis and it's like a banana... that could be a problem

That might do it.

Sent from my *PiMP Boy-3000*

Looks to me like you have the spur installed backwards. The holes with the X slots should be facing away from the slipper (Lettering on the spur should be visible).
This will allow the spur to sit closer to the slipper and align better/not rub the clutch bell.

If the airfilter neck is rubbing the spur, thats when you know you have a bent chasis.

Back