Resurrection of the Nitro Crusher

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nedly

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
This is the build thread for the resurrection of the Nitro Crusher by Kyosho. Picked it up today as one of my winter projects. Pictures show it is pretty dirty.

Back story: sat since the 90's, last owner claimed "over 500 invested, clocked at 70mph".

Has a OS Max .21 engine. So far, it seems it needs a cleaning, bearings replaced, few other msc parts like the adapter for the exhaust, battery hold down plate, ect..

I am starting on the clean up right now, will have newer pics to post. Also got fuel, I believe I have enough off hand to have it running with in a couple days. I have also worked on ordering bearings and some other smaller parts, also found a roll cage. Will post all as it rolls through!

I have decided if it makes it to a race track or tug-of-war event it shall be dubbed "retro deli".

DSC04615.JPG
DSC04616.JPG
DSC04617.JPG
DSC04619.JPG
DSC04620.JPG
DSC04621.JPG

This is the Crusher compared side by side to the old Kyosho Tracker. I am actually restoring both of these this winter...

DSC04622.JPG
DSC04624.JPG

Last edited:
Zip Tie good for holding a fuel tank I guess..
DSC04625.JPG

Access to the center gears! Can you believe it!?
DSC04626.JPG

Vintage dirt and pine..Free w/ Free Shipping!
DSC04627.JPG

Half way there...
DSC04628.JPG

And....Stripped. Dirty beast needs a cleaning : D
DSC04630.JPG

Here is a clean chassis! Just about wrapping it up for the night......
DSC04632.JPG
DSC04633.JPG

Great thread so far, I'll be following this one for sure. Are you going to restore it to factory original or resto-mod it with some aftermarket goodies?
The owner claims 500.00 invested but it looks bone stock to me except for the body.. I wonder if these things sold new for 500.00 some 25yrs ago. That's a pretty hefty price tag for back in the day.:eek: Keep up the good work and two thumbs up for keeping classic nitros alive and racing.:thumbs-up::thumbs-up:

Last edited:
I remember my old Nitro crusher I got it second hand from my uncle back in 2003 I sold it later and got back what I had into it. Fun truck just couldn't get it to go as fast as I wanted.

Griff did you run the original .21 engine in yours? That OS .21 looks tiny in that big beast. Looks like a .12 at first glance, LOL I bet this baby would get up and scoot with a big block.

it had the .21 RG I believe in it, I had the old grave digger body on I can honestly say it is the truck that got me started in the rc monster truck world. I got an Ofna Monster Blazer and then a Monster Pirate from there. I eventually sold those and now have my savages, revo and LST.

The only thing I did as a test and regretted it was removed the gear in between the spur and clutchbell so I could mesh the spur and clutchbell to each other took away all my low end, didn't leave it like that long. Part of my issue then was I was running a RC10GT and a HPI RS4 and they would flat out scoot.

I would like to get some after market parts into this. I had the same thought, a bigger engine would be great. I have a hard time believing this did "70mph" in its day. My plan is to clean it all up and get it back together so I can start at ground 0, then I will start putting in after market parts! : D

I was checking out the engine last night too, it seems to be in pretty decent condition. A little stiff, but I think it was put away with some oil in it! Good signs for the seals!

Secondary springs on the shafts? -interesting.
DSC04634.JPG

Shocks all oiled up, cleaned up, buffed up, look brand new! Seals are still good too!
DSC04635.JPG

Griff, I actually had the same curious thought regarding that center gear, I wondered if a direct drive between the engine and main gear would make for a good difference. From what you have to say, I would think not!

Last edited:
Once I did it the truck would take forever to get going and there was no hill climbing afterwards LOL. Maybe with some of todays bigger engines it is possible.

So maybe if a larger main gear was installed it would change the ratio? Maybe when I get it up and going I will experiment!

I looked at it and it looks like if a larger gear could be put on the engine that it may have near the same ratio as it does with the middle gear. The middle gear just seems to play the part of enlarging the engine gear system...

DSC04637.JPG
DSC04638.JPG

Last edited:
Nice looks like it would work.

WOW, looks like the dug a hole, threw the truck in and then buried it. It's going to be cool seeing this thing come back to life!

I have seen listings for the truck for around 300$, even slightly less. Would you like me to post links? LOL. Also, I can't believe you guys found that diagram to ditch the middle man, I am totally pursuing that! Consider it DUN!

Still just dabbing with cleaning at the moment, it is ridiculously filthy, and a lot of the crud is caked on, so I have to poke it off, then brush it off, then wash it off..LOL

Update: Wow, I am having a hard time finding ads for this truck I saw just the other day, I swear I seen some right on Ebay for far less than that one, they must sell right off when they come in...

However it is tempting I have had a Savage 5.9 XL sitting on my work bench in pieces for the past couple of months, I don't see me getting it completed before Jan. as of right now. Deer season is right around the corner and I haven't even walked the woods yet to check my stands or sight i any of my equipment.

Might be worth getting a ultra sonic cleaner and putting any part that will fit, in it to as everything looks like it could go for a good bath.

However it is tempting I have had a Savage 5.9 XL sitting on my work bench in pieces for the past couple of months, I don't see me getting it completed before Jan. as of right now. Deer season is right around the corner and I haven't even walked the woods yet to check my stands or sight i any of my equipment.
Which is all the more reason to skip dear season and start on the savage. :D

Might be worth getting a ultra sonic cleaner and putting any part that will fit, in it to as everything looks like it could go for a good bath.

Which is all the more reason to skip dear season and start on the savage. :D

True an not to jack the thread but I got 5 kids and a wife to feed so the Savage will have to wait until later. My kids can get up from a full meal ans still claim to be starving. :D I need a minimum of 6 deer to last us a year not to count the fish I catch. LOL

You know I did not think about an ultra sonic cleaner, I am pretty sure the wife has one around here in a closet or something, I am going to give that a try I think. I ended up resorting to the dremel today, luckily I found some old plastic brushes and boy did that help! I have about half a dozen brushes out from cosmetic stuff, old tooth brushes ha..

My wife is always ranting on me for jacking her brushes and cleaning tools : D

@Nedly if you do have the ultra sonic cleaner make a solution of Simple Green HD (non-corrosive to metal) and water mixture and let the cleaner do it's work for 10-15 minutes and you'll be golden!

C-Clamps are the new norm...

DSC04640.JPG

Thats one way to use them I guess....LOL, I keep finding little things like this, someone definitely went into this machine in the past..
DSC04645.JPG