Replacement Glow Plug.. What should I get?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreams3577

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm completely new to Nitro RC (Got a number of electric cars) and I am in need of some advice...

I have just purchased a secondhand Caster Racing ZX-1.5R Buggy
http://www.hobbyfabriken.se/en/caster-racing/587-caster-zx-15.html

and it has a Go Tech 28 Engine in it
http://www.hobbyism.co.nz/hl-nitro-car-parts/nitro-engines/go-tech-28-nitro-engine.html

The engine has a glow plug in it and the only markings on it is Q-9, I need a replacement, But I just don't know what buy..

Please can someone post a link to what I should replace the glow plug with

many thanks
Steve

What percentage of nitro are using in your fuel?

Hi.. I need to get fuel, I know it's nitro fuel, but again what should I get? Links please..

Q9 is a megatech Cold plug. I don't think it's a turbo plug. I run 20% Byron Original in all my engines. I would get a medium plug myself, but... that's me.

Q9 is a megatech Cold plug. I don't think it's a turbo plug. I run 20% Byron Original in all my engines. I would get a medium plug myself, but... that's me.

Thanks.. My local RC shop only sells 5%, 12%, 18% or 30%
http://alshobbies.com/shop/cat.php?id=825
is 18% close enough or should I get 30%? and would the plug need to change based on the % ?? if so what plugs for which?

Thanks for the help...

Personally if those were the options I'd either deal with 18 or get 18 and 30 and mix it half and half. Again with a medium plug.

Best bet is to take your ride into the hobby shop and see what they recommend. I don't know where you are or what your climate is like.

Personally if those were the options I'd either deal with 18 or get 18 and 30 and mix it half and half. Again with a medium plug.

Best bet is to take your ride into the hobby shop and see what they recommend. I don't know where you are or what your climate is like.

Like @Rooky78 said, 18% or mix 18/30 1:1 and you will end up with around 24%. That would be what I'd do. I mix mine usually now, 20% and 30% because I can never find 25%, but it runs so well that I do my best mixing the gallon jugs in spare empty jugs.

As for the plug, typical for a big block is a medium temp. I like the odonnel purple plugs for my big blocks.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars...ple-sport-glow-plug-2530-nitro-1-odo002/p6961

If you ran 30%, you would probably want to run a cold plug. With 15-25%, a medium would probably work fine.

I'd have a shop around for the fuel, it'd be best and easiest to just get 20% or 25%- choosing a glow plug depends on what your climate is like. Ideally you need a set for running during different times of the year.

I run an N3 plug with 33% fuel, it's amazing the power output it gained

Be very careful with any fuel under 20%. It may not be designed for surface run motors/use. It may lack the lubrication properties required by our motors and could quickly cost you an engine. Speaking with the shop directly will help you to determine what to run.

How do pick a glow plug when it comes to Climate?

I have an old HPI Nitro MT1 which I'm currently having the sleeve repinched but that was my rig that is take out in the winter.

So what temperatures do you need different plugs at? Also fuel is there certain fuels that are better for colder climates?

I just use the cheapest one sold and buy a bulk, in my case it's an N3 and N4 which are hot plugs. I do not try to get scientific about it. If the plug I choose runs to my satisfaction and temps stay below 210 I run it. Also the manufacturer of the engine will give you a baseline of which plug to use and you just go from there. Don't try to over think it. JMO and in no means the correct way to go but it's my way and works for me.

I always run a medium plug with Byron's race blend 30/8 I don't care what the outside temp is never had an issue. Cold plugs produce more power than a hotter plug and a hotter plug will idle better.

I just use the cheapest one sold and buy a bulk, in my case it's an N3 and N4 which are hot plugs. I do not try to get scientific about it. If the plug I choose runs to my satisfaction and temps stay below 210 I run it. Also the manufacturer of the engine will give you a baseline of which plug to use and you just go from there. Don't try to over think it. JMO and in no means the correct way to go but it's my way and works for me.
Running it at 210 seems kinda low? I try to run at 230-240 isn't that generally safe not too hot?

why "good info" because you authored it??

:D

jk, as stated "good info" thanks

Running it at 210 seems kinda low? I try to run at 230-240 isn't that generally safe not too hot?
yes 230-40 is good but it depends on many factors. I have just had good luck with lasting glow plugs when my temps stay below water boiling temps (212*) It seems that when I run above that my GP's burn out and those things get expensive when you add up all the GP's you've bought in the past year.

Last edited:
That temp is a generality. My Picco .26 Maxx likes about 230° but the Traxxas 3.3 that it replaced liked 270°.