Repair's with "HobbyShop Tech's"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's crazy that you let this bother you so much lol. If he wants to spend the money to have someone do the work let him, you still have a bashing buddy, and the shop makes money. Some guys prefer to just get their trucks and go, the only part of our hobby that they like is the driving part. Some guys like to build bashers that are ugly as hell but can take a beating, while others build shelf queens that will never be driven. Why do guys by a MT just to put street treads on and stay on the pavement, because they can. People have all kinds of reasons and ways to enjoy our hobby, if you like working on them, great, you'll save some money in the long run. It's the people who don't want to learn how to fix their trucks, but they complain about shops charging to work on them that need to make a decision. We had a guy come into our shop with a busted T-Maxx, we gave him prices for what needed to be replaced and he kept telling us that he had them at home, after that he asked a buddy of mine if he could have some of his spare parts, and also asked if he would do the repairs for him...for free.

I do all my own repairs and have never taken and r/c vehicle to a hs since they suggested i could do a nitro engine run in, in flight....i was like '' your kidding right?? '' they replied '' its perfectly fine to do it that way '' i chuckled at him and left.

Totally! Some F. F. D. P. playing in the background and a bit of captain morgans to assist with the builds. It is therapy for my damaged mind.

Killswitch engage for me 'bro and i couldn't agree more, defo good therapy.

i ran my eb4 s2 pro for 3 runs without cleaning it, i stripped it right down to every last nut and bolt, cleaned everything and rebuilt it....looks good as new and thats all part of the fun for me!

i probably spend more wrench time on my vehicles than actually using them!

Hi Everyone & thanks for the reply's: OK I am not against taking any Rig to the HS & agree some little kid's may not have the skill set to do the work & understanable why parent's suggest thay take it in for "work"..... My problem with my Friend " Jeff " is WE live litterly a block away from each other & he's got 4 TRAXXAS Rig's "I have 4 myself" & after he get's home from work " I get done an HR before him with my job " & he will alway's walk up to my garage "my dad gave me some space in there"... I am always bashing or wrenching with my Rig's every day just about & this is what gets to me with Jeff he will Always start a Talk with me what him & the R/C guys where talking about Jeff will make 3-5 trips to our HS daily "Even if he doesent need anything" & even brings "SETH Coffee every SUNDAY morning because he open's the HS on sunday's & it's open from 9am to 1pm".... & Jeff I consider 1 of my good friends & bashing buddy BUT this is what I dont like... He is always Checking my Rig's out what I did to them what upgrades I am working on & 1 day I was cutting grass & my dad was helping out a neighbor & Jeff walks right into our garage he goes over to my R/C bench & pick's up my T-Maxx "I just got done upgrading my MAXX with everything RPM I could get for the RIG front to back" & I had NO idiea of this happing So my dad had to tell Jeff not to touch my R/Cs without my knowing & he tell's my dad he just wanted to see something because he had the same Rig only his is electric... So a few day's later he brings his Rig to me & says look what I had the R/C guys do His E-Maxx was totaly decked out with the same exact part's AS MINE... HE COPIED my upgrades. Jeff will always say to me he want's me to work on his stuff "because his wife is getting on his case about the constant repairs he's spending @ HS" I tell em No problem I'll help you out & he still goes to the HS for work " Now another thing I dont like Jeff will seek INTEL from the R/C guys on what I am buying for my Rig's & I know SETH gives up the info because Ben has over heard talks between Jeff & Seth on what I am buying & 1 time I got a Fuze Brushless system for my losi XX SCT & dident say a WORD to Jeff & he got mad because I was beating his stock brushless slash 4x4... litterly 3 day's after that day Jeff come's to my garage again & say's look @ what the R/C guys did for me.. A Momba master brushless system was installed & say's to me NOW I CAN SMOKE YOUR FUZE SYSTEM.... FUNNY how he "jeff" had no clue what I was running only the R/C guys knew what I bought & he show's up with a mamba master..... Jeff got the info outta the guys..... I have told the R/C guys keep it quiet but do thay probley not do I care probly not but Jeff will almost have the R/C guys put in the same parts I have on my Rig's.... So now I keep my Rig's coverd when Jeff is in my presence or we are out bashing together.. I had my aunt make me custom covers she nitted up for me outta spare yard she had laying around. & jeff now ask's me why I keep truck covers on my Rigs I tell him 1 reason keeps dust & dirt from garage off my Rig's & 2 So you can't see my upgrades for you to copy off of anylonger... You guys see where I am coming from with this now Dont get me wrong I love bashing with Jeff it's awesome but I hate the fact he COPY's off me THAT NOT Cool..

You got a couple things goin on here:

1) You can't let him get to you like that. I've had plenty of times where friends would do the same to me and it got to the point where I told them to piss off and wouldnt let them touch or even see my rigs anymore. Its hard to have a good time when your "friend" is always trying to 1 up you. Its a "measuring" contest and right now I think your winning cause he is constantly getting the same upgrades as you.

2) If you have told your guy at the lhs to keep quiet and he is still telling your buddy about your purchases - heres something I have done - Go thru the LHS and pick out any and every upgrade you would ever want to put on youir rig. I mean $500-$700 worth of stuff here. Take up a ton of his time and ask any and every possible question about everything you are "buying". Get it all to the register and right before they check you out look right at him and just "You know nevermind. I dont really need all this stuff from here anyway. Besides I'm pretty sure I can find it cheaper on Ebay anyway (which you can!!) and walk out. Just leave. Give it a couple days/weeks and go back in and talk to him and let him know that if they want your business to keep your purchases to themselves. You will get their attention!! If not screw em and buy from Ebay anyway!!

It sucks when you have people pestering you all the time as it takes away from the enjoyment that made you want to get invovved in the first place. Take a step back (or step away from your "friend") for a bit and I bet they will all get your point after a bit. Good luck!!

seems like jeff is a moron to me.

buy something totally messed up LOL something that will slow your rig up / handle like crap and i bet he ends up with it....except don't install yours mwahaha i know its a waste of money but if the part/s are cheap it would be worth it to see his face/reaction......i would comment by saying to him directly......LESSON LEARNED!

Why care that he copies you? Seems a bit petty to me.

Now that i think about it, isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

Ya get some integy shows shocks, tell him there better than big bores, and prolines suck. I had a set of integy shocks, came on my used slash, hated those and bought big bores.

Last edited:
Why care that he copies you? Seems a bit petty to me.

It is a bit petty but at the same time I've had people pester me and while its nice to have those friends to bash with it does suck when all you wanna do is run your rig and all you get is "Why'd you buy those shocks? I wouldnt have bought those, I would have bought blah blah blah". Or "My guy at the LHS says the motor you picked for your truck sucks and that I should buy this other blah blah blah motor for $100 more than yours". "Why do you run the suspension so soft? you're gonna screw up the shocks running it like that."

My point bieng is the "measuring contest" gets old after a while. Especially when all you want to do is drive your rig and have fun. Instead you gotta listen to Cletus and his backing of every Integy product ever made cause " they shur r purdy!!"

My point bieng is the "measuring contest" gets old after a while. Especially when all you want to do is drive your rig and have fun. Instead you gotta listen to Cletus and his backing of every Integy product ever made cause " they shur r purdy!!"

Yeah, but beer cans are cheaper and stronger than the Integy aluminum......

What I can't figure out is. If your buddy copies everything you do then why doesn't he join the forum? I'm sure there are lots of us on here with more combined experience and knowledge then his heros at the hobby shop. Oh wait now that I think about it. May not be such a good idea.:D

My girlfriend says man up and quit acting like a girl! I agree with ROBMOB and think this is petty, I've seen better sportsmanship at the track. If the fool wants to spend $200+ on a motor ESC combo just to beat his bashing buddy let the fool part ways with his money. One thing I agree with though is the shop guys should not be telling what other people bought, it's one thing to say " yeah this is a popular seller" but to say " this person bought that" is wrong.

I think the hobby shop is playing devils advocate here in my opinion. They want to tell your business to your "competition" so that they get another sale out of your buddy. Then on top of that, they get the extra sale on the repair as well. If I were you I would upgrade your rigs to your satisfaction and only buy fuel and miscellaneous stuff from the hobby shop. If they're going to break your confidentiality then they don't care about you but they want your cash. Time to start buying online for parts and if your buying an upgrade your not sure of, then go to the lhs for advice.

lol....he probably goes to the shop to have his manifold bearings greased to :D..

sounds like the kind of guy that you could send to the hardware store to buy a bucket of steam to clean your rigs :D ..lol

Last edited:
sounds like the kind of guy that you could send to the hardware store to buy a bucket of steam to clean your rigs :D ..lol

The thing about a bucket of steam is that by the time you get home its turned into water so in effect, he can clean his rig with a bucket of steam :hehe::p:

its a bucket of helium he should be buying to sit his tires in.....gives you more grip ;)

Did this just turn into a "sounds like the type of guy" thread? If not maybe we should start one! Lol it could be pretty funny...

Back