Repair's with "HobbyShop Tech's"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grave

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi Guy's : I am just putting this out there How many of you guy's take your car's or rig's in for service work @ your local HS for the r/c tech's to work on...

Yesterday I got into a very involved talk with my bashing buddy on this issue he has 4 Rigs all Traxxas.. rustler / e-maxx / 4x4 slash / summit & he has from day 1 always taken his rig's in for service @ our HS witch is Hobbytown USA... & he's always bragging about what " BEN & SETH " 2 of the r/c techs @ our HS suggest what upgrades or parts he put's into his rig's... I told him WHY are you paying $15.00 for them to look @ Rig & tell you what you broke & what parts are need'ed to fix the rig... Than pay a $ FEE based upon how involved the repair is & how much time it's going to take R/C tech & pluss $ cost of part's...

I have told my Buddy that's 1 reason how the HS makes money on reapirs with guy's like you & will always suggest you should get something else repaired or upgreaded wile it's in for service so the HS & tech's make money... I have also told him the R/C guys already get paid buy the HS an Hourly rate & doing repairs is just a perk to the job.... He also VALUES there suggestions over mine & I have been in the R/C Hobby alot longer than he is.... I have also told him I would show him how to do reapirs himself on his RIG's to save him money & REFUSES my every offer & he say's it's easer for him to let the R/C guys work on his RIG's... "& the next comment ticked me off a bit because he told me THAT WAY IT's DONE RIGHT" I said to him are you serious I have replaced complete nitro engines in my T-Maxx / rebuilt my diff's / replaced tranny gears & or tranny / & ton's of upgrades to all of my RIG's & my Rig's perform without a problem or issue... I said to him WHY are you in our HOBBY & part of the FUN is WRENCHING on your OWN RIG's.. HE stated to me he get's too STRESSED OUT when he work's on his Rig's HE's TRIED & get's ticked off when the parts dont fit in right away... & he like's the R/C Guy's work.. I told him he's CRAZY for letting R/C tech's work on his Rig's all the time...Even my other bashing buddy said he's NUT's & not to offer my help or suggestions anylonger because he's just going to take THERE " R/C guys " advice & 1 of the reason's my other buddy won't help him out...

Let him, a fool and his money will easily part ways, keeps the shop in business too, he's not ruining the hobby for anyone except you, he decided that running them is a lot more fun then repairing them. I know lots of people that do that with there vehicles, do you repair your car/truck or take it to the shop? Same idea basically.

Jeez what a first world problem

Sent from my smartass phone

Theres 2 sides to this. 1 - You have people in the hobby who either dont have the time or practical knowledge to repair the rig themselves. Taking it to a reputable place like hobbytown, you know the work will be of a high quality and you will get your rig back running the proper way.

On the B side of this theres MANY MANY MANY of us who truly enjoy the personal wrenching time in our rigs as we take pride in the fact that we did our own repairs and have a rig that runs just as good as the rig repaired by the "pros". I wont lie and will say I probably wrench more than bash (I have several rigs) and truly enjoy the experiences I get from doing it myself.

I wouldnt necessarily crusify your buddy but just appreciate his choices. The money he wastes on paying someone to repair his rig is well his choice. Meanwhile you will be able to upgrade yours faster due to the extra cash you will save from doing your own wrenching.

Yeah look at the upside of it being that its guys like him that keep lhs in business. I'm the tech for my lhs and i try to be as honest with people as possible and tell them whats wrong and suggest that they attempt to repair it themselves in order to learn more about it. Most of the ones that bring trucks and cars in to be worked on either have no time to fix it them-self or are new to the hobby and really have no clue where to start. We have a few that are kids and the parents tell them you break it you pay to have it fixed from allowance because they are so rough on the trucks it isnt funny. All reasons aside it just helps to keep the shop in business and most everything i do can be done within the first $15 hour rate. Your case with your buddy is he just seems to be one who has more money than sense and is too stubborn and set in his ways to listen to reason from you even though you probably know more than the techs at hobbytown do. Me personally i just love working on nitro stuff as much as running them. But if someone chooses for me to work on theres for whatever reason they get charged for it. If not people start taking advantage and you end up wrenching on everyones rig for free and never get to run yours. Dont let him get to you like you seem to be just do your thing my friend and let him spend his money to keep the shop open.

I agree with helping keep the LHS in business. However if you take your rig to the shop for every little issue then you're only getting half of the enjoyment out of this hobby. I do all my repairs myself since the closest HS is 60 miles away. I pretty much only go there for fuel and glowplugs. I wouldn't worry to much about your buddy. It may just be that it's more convenient for him to have them do the work. 4 rigs is a lot to keep up with.

I've doing my own repairs almost since day 1 in the hobby. I usually try to buy my parts locally when I can so I can help keep my lhs in business. That being said, there are times when I just can't get something I've tried to repair but for some reason can't quite get it to work, that I will go in to my lhs and will get help from the techs in the back.

To me it sounds like your friend just does not have the patience or the mechanical ability to work on his own rigs. It's a win win for your friend: he gets his stuff worked on the right way and then does not have to worry about messing up his rigs. For you its just frustrating because you want to help him and save him some cash. To each their own and its kinda like how people like going to the dealers for auto repairs because of the above reasons.

i don't have a choice! my nearest HS is over 2 hours away, so i use ebay and do all repairs myself! i enjoy the wrenching aspect, and knowing that i can repair anything on my trucks with out any help. when i get stuck.....i come on here and ask! some people would rather just pay and play, while others like to get their hands dirty !!!!!

Anybody who can't fix his own rig probably can't even wipe his own......:hehe:

Last edited:
Like stated above, part of the enjoyment is running the rig and then maintaining and fixing what needs to be fixed. I fixed my stuff from day one cause I want to learn everything about that truck or whatever and I can't afford to take it to the lhs and there expensive rates. Basically I run it I break it I fix it. I teach my sons the same thing.

Like stated above, part of the enjoyment is running the rig and then maintaining and fixing what needs to be fixed. I fixed my stuff from day one cause I want to learn everything about that truck or whatever and I can't afford to take it to the lhs and there expensive rates. Basically I run it I break it I fix it. I teach my sons the same thing.

Its a good thought process to run it, break it, repair it, but I think his point is his buddy doesn't want to be bothered with it and has the disposable income to throw at the RC Techs. By all means I agree with you and teach my kids the wrenching aspects or at least help them. I wont do thier repairs but I will help them. How else are they supposed to learn??

Before I learned to drive, my dad showed me the basics of car maintenance such as how to tune up a car including setting the dwell and the points as well as how to do other things such as change oil, replace a generator (yes a generator not an alternator), replace brake linings and adjust the shoes and how to check the air and change the oil.

Can I still do these things? Yes.

Do I really want to? No.

It's the same thing with RCs. I can do just about everything. I actually enjoy wrenching on them more than i enjoy running them.

He said the guy gets stressed out when he tries to do his own repairs. I find that wrenching and tinkering on my stuff is actually a good stress reliever.

Totally! Some F. F. D. P. playing in the background and a bit of captain morgans to assist with the builds. It is therapy for my damaged mind. Everytime i bash i actually try to break it so i can sit down that evening and have a few drinks and enjoy fixing what i broke just so i can repeat the process.

Hi Everyone & thanks for the reply's: OK I am not against taking any Rig to the HS & agree some little kid's may not have the skill set to do the work & understanable why parent's suggest thay take it in for "work"..... My problem with my Friend " Jeff " is WE live litterly a block away from each other & he's got 4 TRAXXAS Rig's "I have 4 myself" & after he get's home from work " I get done an HR before him with my job " & he will alway's walk up to my garage "my dad gave me some space in there"... I am always bashing or wrenching with my Rig's every day just about & this is what gets to me with Jeff he will Always start a Talk with me what him & the R/C guys where talking about Jeff will make 3-5 trips to our HS daily "Even if he doesent need anything" & even brings "SETH Coffee every SUNDAY morning because he open's the HS on sunday's & it's open from 9am to 1pm".... & Jeff I consider 1 of my good friends & bashing buddy BUT this is what I dont like... He is always Checking my Rig's out what I did to them what upgrades I am working on & 1 day I was cutting grass & my dad was helping out a neighbor & Jeff walks right into our garage he goes over to my R/C bench & pick's up my T-Maxx "I just got done upgrading my MAXX with everything RPM I could get for the RIG front to back" & I had NO idiea of this happing So my dad had to tell Jeff not to touch my R/Cs without my knowing & he tell's my dad he just wanted to see something because he had the same Rig only his is electric... So a few day's later he brings his Rig to me & says look what I had the R/C guys do His E-Maxx was totaly decked out with the same exact part's AS MINE... HE COPIED my upgrades. Jeff will always say to me he want's me to work on his stuff "because his wife is getting on his case about the constant repairs he's spending @ HS" I tell em No problem I'll help you out & he still goes to the HS for work " Now another thing I dont like Jeff will seek INTEL from the R/C guys on what I am buying for my Rig's & I know SETH gives up the info because Ben has over heard talks between Jeff & Seth on what I am buying & 1 time I got a Fuze Brushless system for my losi XX SCT & dident say a WORD to Jeff & he got mad because I was beating his stock brushless slash 4x4... litterly 3 day's after that day Jeff come's to my garage again & say's look @ what the R/C guys did for me.. A Momba master brushless system was installed & say's to me NOW I CAN SMOKE YOUR FUZE SYSTEM.... FUNNY how he "jeff" had no clue what I was running only the R/C guys knew what I bought & he show's up with a mamba master..... Jeff got the info outta the guys..... I have told the R/C guys keep it quiet but do thay probley not do I care probly not but Jeff will almost have the R/C guys put in the same parts I have on my Rig's.... So now I keep my Rig's coverd when Jeff is in my presence or we are out bashing together.. I had my aunt make me custom covers she nitted up for me outta spare yard she had laying around. & jeff now ask's me why I keep truck covers on my Rigs I tell him 1 reason keeps dust & dirt from garage off my Rig's & 2 So you can't see my upgrades for you to copy off of anylonger... You guys see where I am coming from with this now Dont get me wrong I love bashing with Jeff it's awesome but I hate the fact he COPY's off me THAT NOT Cool..

Too bad i can't drink alcohol at the hobby shop while I'm working. I would get a hell of alot more done! Lol

Man all i can say is just dont let him even see your rigs anymore. Keep them away from him being able too see what you have and go tell the Seth guy to keep his mouth shut about what you have in your parts bins. Sorry your friend has you all stressed and yes i understand! I would get pissed too. I also would confront him about copying or doing everything he does to rub poop in your face. He clearly doesn't think he is offending you in any way and alot of guys would not be bothered by the things you are being bothered by. I would. But I'm Bipolar! I think thing through a bit more than others and the smallest and most simple things bother me that wouldnt bother a normal guy. Maybe this is your issue as well maybe not. Until you let him know that what he does bothers you this bad it will never change. If he is a true friend he will try to do better by you and maybe even start letting you do all the work on his rigs and taking all your advice instead. Good luck with it and try not letting it bother you so bad. Stress can screw you up more than you think and stressing over other peoples crap is just something you yourself have to stop doing or it will affect you in the end and not the ones your stressing over. This is my opinion and i hope you dont take it the wrong way. If anything i really do understand your situation and i know why i do and I've learned to control alot of my stress from others in my own ways. Mostly by confronting any one or anything that bothers me. If it doesn't work i simply cut my losses and stay away from them or whatever it is that does bother me. Good luck my friend i hope you find a way to ease your mind with your friend.

if i were you , i would upgrade my rigs and try to get stickers/labels from a much inferior product and replace the ones on the parts ...then i would make sure to tell him an show him ....just to play with his head a bit .. he would upgrade his rigs to beat the labeled product ....then he would go back to the shop the complain that he still can't beat your ''inferior '' product :hehe: .....and you could always order online ..that way the HS wont know what you have ;)

Thanks for the truth, you omitted all this info and should of said it in your FIRST posting, because you looked like a tard complaining about him going to the LHS to get work done all the time,

Your doing the right thing covering the rigs up, maybe the next step is a cabinet to put them in after, is there not another HS around you or is that the only one?

Do as above order online and keep the body on them.

Sent from my smartass phone

Back