Redcat volcano randomly cuts out...why?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken08

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks in advance;
I have a second hand volcano epx with a brushless kv3970 motor and a WP-10BL50-RTR esc. I run 6200 2s 50c. When it runs right, it's fast and great, but... at random the motor will cut out. Steering still works. I can cycle the power off and on and it comes back. It also seems like sometimes I can just jiggle the three motor wires and it will come back.

I don't know much about modern RC, and I'm certain the previous owner was an idiot, so it's highly possible the parts aren't right together.
Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

is it solid wire to esc? Id check wires might have a broken wire or a bad solder joint.. if you have any type of connector in-between esc n motor check those..a covered wire multi strand can break under insulation and seem fine till it flops n its not.heck if this was mine Id cut wires after I unsoldered them and re-also slide on heat tin and solder back on heat shrink tube then slide them on

is it solid wire to esc? Id check wires might have a broken wire or a bad solder joint.. if you have any type of connector in-between esc n motor check those..a covered wire multi strand can break under insulation and seem fine till it flops n its not.heck if this was mine Id cut wires after I unsoldered them and re-also slide on heat tin and solder back on heat shrink tube then slide them on

They are banana style connectors, but they do appear poorly soldered. Should I replace them? They do seem a little loose and won't stay together except that I taped them together. So a bad connection could cause the motor to just cut out?

yes.. Got a x-acto knife blade .. you can slide tip of blade into spread out contacts and open the up so slightly

I cleaned them all up but no change. I'm noticing it has a problem accelerating from a stop uphill. It just beeps unless I give it a push, then it goes like crazy as long as it's going. If I hold the throttle while it's stopped and trying to go, the same cutoff thing happens and I have to reset it. The batteries charge fine and read good voltage before and after. I use a fancy touchscreen charger so I think they are good, but they may be old.

I cleaned them all up but no change. I'm noticing it has a problem accelerating from a stop uphill. It just beeps unless I give it a push, then it goes like crazy as long as it's going. If I hold the throttle while it's stopped and trying to go, the same cutoff thing happens and I have to reset it. The batteries charge fine and read good voltage before and after. I use a fancy touchscreen charger so I think they are good, but they may be old.

What connector does the battery and ESC have?
Battery is T and esc to motor is banana

I'd guess being a super cheap made Redcat RC and sounds like you picked it up used, it's time to upgrade to something worth while(no offense). The ESC is probably garbage and who knows what the motor has been through as it is probably on its last leg as well. I'd suggest buying a new brushless ESC and motor but that would cost what the cheap rig is even worth, so unless you really like it or has sentimental value I'd look at buying a new rig. I highly suggest Arrma rigs, the 3s(BLX) lineup is great to start with and run about $320 and another $50-$100 for a decent 3s battery and charger. Arrma warrantees their product for 2 yrs and covers just about everything for replacing parts. Just my opinion, but that Redcat even with some love won't last long.

Battery is T and esc to motor is banana
T (Dean's) connectors are known to wear out over time. The heat from a BL set up seems to make it worse. I originally had T connectors on all my stuff, and when i went all BL, i had nothing but issues with them. If you are good at soldering, i would suggest switching them to EC5 or XT90. If you arent good at soldering, and decent hobby shop, or even a friend might be able to do it for you.

As for the vehicle itself, alot of people dont like Redcat, so the, buy a better/newer vehicle is to be expected. I however do like Redcat. I currently have a Blackout XTE, and, what i call a frankenstein Volcano EXP. What i like most about Redcat's EXP lineup is how versatile they are, as well as how many parts sources there are for them. With the Volcano, except for the shocks, since there are 8, and the shock towers, almost any part from any of the HSP branded cars will work with it (HSP, Redcat, Exceed RC). I started with a Volcano, changed a few parts and turned it into an Exceed Rally Monster, then turned it into a Tornado buggy (in my avatar pic, the blue/black buggy started as a red Volcano EXP), and all told spent maybe $100, and, three years later, it still runs good. The one downside is that it can only be made to go just so fast. Past a certain point, it wont stay on its wheels at all. I also have an Exceed Mad Speed (basically the same as the HSP Flying Fish and the Redcat Lightning) that has stood up well to massive abuse. I did end up giving my frankensteined Tornado/Vol;cano hybrid to the kids, and then bought a pair of used Blackout XTE's that i proceeded to beat on, and have barely spent anything replacing parts. The HW 10-BL-50 (i have 3 of them), is also a bit of a limiting factor with the motor you have. Just swapping to a 10-BL-60 makes a difference, although not much of a difference, but, they are more durable, so the cost (around $40-$45), is more than worth it. I have slowly replaced all my ESC's with the 10-BL-60, and have buried them under water, in mud and snow, and they still all work.

Maybe I'll look at a new esc. Somehow I'm pretty sure that's where the problem lies. If I pick one up, is it a big deal to connect it to my redcat radio? Am i better getting some better brand esc, or esc radio combo? Are there any compatibility issues?

Does the Redcat have an actual reciever or is it one of the ESC/reciever combos? If there's an actual reciever separate from the ESC I'd just buy a new ESC. You can find some decent cheaper ESC's on Amazon or eBay, I'd look for something that is about 100A and 2-3s Lipo compatible ?

Does the Redcat have an actual reciever or is it one of the ESC/reciever combos? If there's an actual reciever separate from the ESC I'd just buy a new ESC. You can find some decent cheaper ESC's on Amazon or eBay, I'd look for something that is about 100A and 2-3s Lipo compatible ?
I have never seen a Redcat/Exceed 1/10TH with a ESC/receiver combo, but, the OP said his had a HW 10-BL-50, so it has to have a separate receiver.

Back