Recommend .28/.30 Engine and Pipe

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
OK fellas, this time I'm lookin into a large big block for my Maxx. I'm seeing quite a variety out there in my price range, from Axials to Dynamites, Wasps and LRPs.

I would also like suggestions on a pipe to go with it. I have a JP-1 on my buggy so if I could get a pipe for the larger engine that would also allow me some tuning flexibility for my RB S3 .21 that would be a bonus.

I'm looking to be under/around $300 for the engine, pipe, header combo.

I can't say for the picco's, but I have an axial .28 in my savage, and it runs and tunes fine. Great even. There are a few people that have had trouble with this engine not sealing, just to be aware, but I have had no trouble with mine. I would reccomend it, but I don't think anybody else would. I would ask around if you are seriously considering this engine.

Does that $300 include the cost of the conversion chassis?

oh no. My maxx is completely ready for a standard big block engine.

I can't say for the picco's, but I have an axial .28 in my savage, and it runs and tunes fine. Great even. There are a few people that have had trouble with this engine not sealing, just to be aware, but I have had no trouble with mine. I would reccomend it, but I don't think anybody else would. I would ask around if you are seriously considering this engine.

I've read quite a bit of "here and there" on the Axials so I'm not very impressed. The price is great but I can spend a little more for higher quality.

I've always been under the impression that LRP's are good engines as well.

Anybody else? c'mon Truggy guys!

I've had good success with the Axial .28rr but if the LRP is in the price range over there I dont think you can get better for that price. (LRP is expensive here in Aus.)
I also have a Picco P3 in an MBX5R and it is far and away the hardest running .28 I've ever had or seen. It sounds like it's running to about 45000.

Picco .28,Dynamite 086 pipe and a short header. You might need a box for the drivetrain parts.

Is this the correct combo you speak of Neobart?

p3-4935.jpg

dynp5005.jpg

Yup that looks about right. The Picco loves that combination.

Picco carbs have a tendency to leak around the body. But easily fixed with some sealant.

Roar_Sizzler_build_0087_zoomed.jpg

Hmmm. I really don't like the idea of spending $200 on an engine that may need to be jerry rigged right out of the box.

Yeah well it might not leak. But 5 minutes of work is still worth it. Except this little hiccup, it's all Italian quality from there. It should outlast any Axial or LRP you might consider.

Well... I'm not sure what you have for diffs/trans, but going with a high output BB will roast most 1/10 scale parts. I know I had a tough time just coping with an OS21RG in my 21 maxx back in the day. In the end, it was the diffs and center axles that made me give up. That was after rebuilding the trans entirely with RRP steel, running an RCS 1/8 scale spur and an 1/8 scale flywheel/clutch. I just didn't feel like dropping more $ (like for 1/8 diff conversion $300+) into the thing and got a savage.

Anyway, that said, I've run the OS21RG in my aftershock (winter engine) and it does not hold a candle to the LRP28 I run in the summer. I have about 4 gallons through the LRP so far and it still had great compression and runs like an animal all day long.

I run the OS21 in the winter so I don't prematurely wear out my LRP in the freezing temps.

I ran an axial 28 (the older one) and it hasn't run right since I cracked my second gallon. Tons of compression, mechanical pinch is still heavy, but runs hot, will not tune and no power at all. It wasn't bad for about the last 1/2 of the first gallon, but it's been a paperweight since then.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Axial is pretty much out of the running right now. I've been reading that the Picco is badA powerful and everybody seems to love it. Then there is the LRP which you seem to be happy with. There is also the Dynamite Platinum 28 which is supposed to be nearly identical to the LRP. I think the LRP is supposed to be superior slightly though. AMain also has a Novarossi in my price range, I haven't heard too much about that though. I had a Picco .26 back in the day but I was a nitronewb at the time so I can't really say much about it. So far it seems like the Picco is the frontrunner

as far as my maxx.. Fioroni Turboslide clutch, RC Solutions 1/8 spur, RRP Trans/FOC, Hardcore alum trans case, RC Alloys front center drive, FLM rear center drive, FLM 1/8 bulkless w/Hot Bodies Lightning 1/8 diffs, MIP CVD's. Most of this stuff I've had for a few years with the exception of the 1/8 diff upgrade which is brand new. With a drivetrain like this it seems silly to run a 3.3. Not that it's a bad engine... I love it, good power, reliable, runs good temps especially with the Nova head. However, I've been wanting to take advantage of my drivetrain so a nice big block is in order. I just don't want to spend $500 to power a 1/8 scale Maxx. It sounds like the Picco is a good value and even with that pipe I'm well under $300. I think I'll spend the extra $40 of my budget on the only thing I don't have yet.. Proline steering.

I'd still like to hear a little more about that LRP/Dynamite or maybe even that Rossi if anybody has seen one.

So right now it's..

Picco .28
ofn51232.jpg

Dynamite Platinum .28
dynp5232.jpg

Novarossi Plus .28
fmsplus28-3ps.jpg

LRP Z.28 spec 3
engine-1493.jpg

The LRP and the Platinum are identical except for the LRP has 2 extra bypass ports. I have ran both. They performed so similar I could not say which was better. The LRP is cheaper though. You can find a SH .28 Pro 6 port on E-Bay even cheaper which is also the same as the Platinum.
The Platinum died at 3 gallons, a warranty issue.
The LRP is still going strong 4+ gallons.
No coments on the Nova, never touched one.

The LRP is still going strong 4+ gallons.
So, I take it you have not been plagued with the bearings going out on the LRP either? I've read many threads about the LRP that say you should replace the main bearings at 1 gallon. But that was the only flaw I've read about the LRP.

That being said, I'm also around/over 4 gallons and the bearings still seem fine.

Does anybody have any input on the O.S. 30VG? I was thinking of going with the roto-start version.

or the Sirio 30?

Last edited:
THe O.S. 30 is slow compared to the the above mentioned mills.

It is a square bore engine that is happy pushing pretty much any gearing you put on it.
I've seen a 13 lb. Savage wheelie 19/47 gearing easily with the O.S.
It's not a bad engine, just overpriced compared to the competition.

I've been looking at the RB ST28 as well. I've been rather pleased with the consistancy of my RB .21 during break-in and I was thinking of sticking with the brand. It's a 3 port instead of a 5 port (picco 28) and it also is roto start which is what I've deided I will convert to anyways.

Bang for the buck I don't think you can beat the mach 427 and the losi HT pipe. and here's the kicker for $130 you can get the motor and pipe brand new from fine design. They are the guys that do the elecric conversion packages and these are the nitros they pull out before installing brushless systems and they sell them off CHEAP!

Wow, that is a good deal. I've sort of settled on the RB ST28 but that's certainly a great deal. I imagine you can pick that up at their website?

Back