Rebuilding My Old Savage 21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are running thru glow plugs at the moment.... I've always just bought whatever glow plug. Well the ones that the hobby bench guy gave me to buy. Never noticed what they were.

I owe you a great deal my friend. I called Duncan's RC and they have nitro stuff. They don't have hpi. But they are happy to help get us set up with what we have. Get it tuned and all that. I will pick up that oil. I'll pick up a gallon of fuel. And I'll get glow plugs. That'll be like 100 bucks. Easy. Lol. But man, as much as I looked online I didn't find these places you showed me. And I really did look.

I guess I was just looking in general and didn't look for local since I thought I was out of luck by the other place. I am just so thankful for your help. I owe you big time!

I only run 15% nitro with Os #8 plugs. Cheaper than running high nitro with cold plugs.

both engines recommend R5
I-1403-1 Pg01 (hpiracing.com)
Carb settings are the same for both.
20% nitro and what oil lube content? What brand? Most 20% nitro fuel is 14% or less oil lube. All the 20% nitro fuel on Amazon is car fuel.

Last edited:
I don't recommend any fuel with less than 14% oil lube. Car fuel is crap. The stores push it So you will buy more and your engines don't last as long. Fuel is fuel air or land. All that is different is the oil lube content. I tried car fuel once and my Os engines ran like crap. 1/2 tank and they shut off. Switched back to air fuel with 18% oil lube and they ran fine. More oil lube protects the engine better and you're not racing.

I'll pay better attention to what I buy from now on. We had another successful test run. Getting the tuning down a bit closer to good. The manual says the wheels shouldn't turn at idle. We can't get it to do that and stay running.

Any advice on that?

High setting start 2-1/2 turn in no more than 1/4 turn stay on rich side. Max speed.
low should be flush 1/8 turn in or out. Usually the low is the problem
Idle 1 mm open.
Other problem may be the wrong plug using?

So a few things. We've gotten the motor to run as far as the old 3.5 goes. Went to an rc store yesterday and they put a known good working tune on the motor. And it ran in the store. Talked to them about fuel. Was talked very seriously to about not running any fuel with more than 9% oil in it. I am in Arizona. It's very dry here. Was told higher oil content is bad for the motor here. So I bought fuel there with the right everything.

The other thing, that 4.6 motor will run once I get the shims, but it's got something scored inside it and won't last long. So this morning I ordered the dynamite motor. Not the big red version. But the one just below it. I'll buy the big red version next week. Now we are just trying to get this stupid thing to run here at home like it did in the store yesterday. We even changed it back over to roto start.

I'm keep going with updates.

Might as well run lower % oil.. There is nothing wrong with more oil. It isn't bad for the motor. That's the same old story I have heard over and over. I ran Sig fuel in Az when I lived there along time ago. Never had problems. All it dose is decrease the runtime a little. All the store wanted to do was sell you car fuel $$$. less oil lube and you have to run richer. Your tuning window is smaller now. I would never take my engines to a store and have them tune it. Fact: 3 quarts of car fuel = 1 gallon of the same fuel.

Last edited:
So a few things. We've gotten the motor to run as far as the old 3.5 goes. Went to an rc store yesterday and they put a known good working tune on the motor. And it ran in the store. Talked to them about fuel. Was talked very seriously to about not running any fuel with more than 9% oil in it. I am in Arizona. It's very dry here. Was told higher oil content is bad for the motor here. So I bought fuel there with the right everything.

The other thing, that 4.6 motor will run once I get the shims, but it's got something scored inside it and won't last long. So this morning I ordered the dynamite motor. Not the big red version. But the one just below it. I'll buy the big red version next week. Now we are just trying to get this stupid thing to run here at home like it did in the store yesterday. We even changed it back over to roto start.

I'm keep going with updates.
run between 20-30% nitro content, and 9-12% oil, too much oil is not good, all it will do is cause headaches with tuning, and run hotter when you get to the tuning window. 14% is on the higher side, but still reasonable, but i would not recommend going any higher.
that Sidewinder Race blend 20/12 you got is some great fuel, sidewinder/morgan fuels has been in the hobby for a long, long time, they know what they are doing.
its also pretty inexpensive comparatively, its all i have been using past year or so, comparing to some basher blends i had been running, definitely can tell the difference in power and ease of tuning. even if it wasn't spot on, was still making good power.
i used to think more oil was better as well, but after running more sport or race blends and looking into the science and research side of it, kind of learned better. if its an ABN engine (some old O.S. engines, and most of the cheaper engines), they do prefer and you will get more life out of a bit higher oil content.

Engine manual says R5 for high nitro
You need R5 cold for high nitro. O.S. OS Engine R5 Glow Plugs (OS R 5 #R5 plug )12 pcs FREE SHIPPING | eBay
NO! dont mix up O.S. R5 with HPI R5! O.S. plugs are SHORT plugs, HPI Plugs are long/standard!
So number 8's? Got it. Thank you.
find a standard length medium plug, Dynamite makes good ones, or get an O.S. LC4.
most O.S. plugs are Short length except the LC3, and LC4 which are long/standard.
short plugs will "work" in place of standard plugs, but they wont work as well as they are not actually correct for the application.

Nevermind. It won't load
for uploading videos if you dont have a youtube or something, I've found "streamable.com" works well, just drag the vid to the browser, let it do its uploading then post a link. they arent permanent links though so after a few months they do expire unless you do the paid version. in those cases definitely helps to use YT or something

Thanks. Yeah I thought just throwing it on here like a picture would work. Guess not.