Rebuilding My Old Savage 21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the first 2 pictures are the 49T spur gear. The third picture is my current 52T spur gear. And the last 2 pictures are of my original 47T spur gear.

Is there a way to get that 49T gear on my truck? We had tried that one first but it wouldn't go as far as setting it right to tighten it down.
just clarifying, with the bigger spur gear you do not have room to install the engine/clutchbell because the engine mount slots are not adjustable that far? or am i misunderstanding?

The bigger 52T spur gear is toast. Plastic crap against a metal clutch bell gear. It ate it up. But the 49T gear won't go on securely. It doesn't have that cone shape on the side facing the motor. The 47T is toast as well. I don't want to lose my fun right now until the metal 47T spur gear gets here. With the winter weather going on I don't know when my parts will get here at this point.

is the slipper nut bottoming out before its tightening down? or is it wobbly and loose on there even when tightened down ? like the inner bore is too big on the spur?
if not maybe try posting a quick vid of what the issue is, having a hard time picturing it.

Slides on fine. But there's too much space after putting the washer and spring on before tightening the nut. So yeah, the nut will go on but not tighten all the way so it's wobbly.

Slides on fine. But there's too much space after putting the washer and spring on before tightening the nut. So yeah, the nut will go on but not tighten all the way so it's wobbly.
might try installing a washer or shim between the spring and the nut to take up some of the extra slack and see if that works? remember to loosen the slipped as spec'd in the manual, too tight and it will tear up spur gears right and left. if i remember correctly it was 1/4 turn from tight, but i could be remembering another truck.

So, by not loosening that clutch bell is why we tore up 2 spur gears?

So, by not loosening that clutch bell is why we tore up 2 spur gears?
if you had not loosened the slipper adjustment nut, yes most likely.
just for FYI
1613604485789.png

the clutchbell is the gear/clutch drum that mounts on the engine itself, the screw holding the clutchbell on at the end of the crank should be tight.
the adjustment they give you in the manual is from a nut tight/spring compressed position (do not overtighten, you will feel it when the spring is compressed fully), then you back out however far the manual says.
the manual gives a good base all around setting, if you are on high grip surfaces, you may need to loosen it slightly more, if its looser surfaces, may need to tighten it a bit, but for standard bashing, base settings are where you want to be at.

Been running it on my street in front of my house. So yeah we burnt up both gears because we had it more than snug. Oops. ?‍♂️

Been running it on my street in front of my house. So yeah we burnt up both gears because we had it more than snug. Oops. ?‍♂️
yeah that will do it, hey no time like the present to learn though. i have never had a problem with plastic spur gears, typically the only time they go out when adjusted correctly is when it just saved the rest of your drivetrain from failing, cheap and easy to replace 5$ part vs 30$ parts or tearing into the transmission. there are a few rigs that i would recommend steel spur gears, but mostly because of vehicle design "flaws" or better setup, like the T-maxx, the RRP slipper and steel spur assembly is so much better than the stock pegs that go into the spur gear, also with the T-Maxx the chassis likes to flex which will strip spur gears unless you have the metal chassis braces to hold it stiffer.

Well this is on my savage. I'm about to go to the rc store for stuff for the Traxxas ones. Kind of bummed I can't run any of them right now.

So what does that do? I read the description. It doesn't say what it does. I get the concept. Just want to understand better.
The fail safe will stop the truck from a run away if signal lost or low voltage is lost. It will put the brakes on preventing you to drive it until you fix the problem. It sets up easy.

Last edited:
Have not. I'm about to go to the RC store. See if they have anything that will work. But that spur gear is flat. It doesn't have that cone like the other one. I did just order the steel version of the 52T spur gear. I like the torque with that gear. Thinking of that 49T will work I'll put the 17T bell gear on it. See what that does. I know I can go faster. But it's a monster truck. It should have a crawl gear to it I think.

It's all personal preference. I get that. But that torque is just sick to me.

So the first 2 pictures are the 49T spur gear. The third picture is my current 52T spur gear. And the last 2 pictures are of my original 47T spur gear.

Is there a way to get that 49T gear on my truck? We had tried that one first but it wouldn't go as far as setting it right to tighten it down.
Pic 2 shows a gap? it is not on correct. gear is on backwards. When you put the slipper clutch back together stand the truck up so gravity is you friend and stack it back together. Ditch the the cheap bushing for a bearing on the gear.

Last edited:
Yeah it's got a gap because I didn't want to loose it so I put it on my old hpi so it's not lost or mixed with other parts.

Have not. I'm about to go to the RC store. See if they have anything that will work. But that spur gear is flat. It doesn't have that cone like the other one. I did just order the steel version of the 52T spur gear. I like the torque with that gear. Thinking of that 49T will work I'll put the 17T bell gear on it. See what that does. I know I can go faster. But it's a monster truck. It should have a crawl gear to it I think.

It's all personal preference. I get that. But that torque is just sick to me.
definitely, we all like different parts about the hobby, and thats what makes it great, we all want out of it what we want out of it.
i am definitely not a "speed is better" person personally, i like them just fast enough for what i want it to do, going too much over just breaks more parts.
but the next guy may want to go for "top speed" and that is cool too.

Yeah I like the speed where it's at. I know it's enough to make it do flips of I take it off a jump. I mean right now I can break at full speed and do an endo. And that's cool to me.

Last edited:
I put it on a non working truck so it doesn't get lost. I'll look at the manual to see if it will work like you say on the running truck.

As for parts for your t maxx Make a list and then buy online. The store is going to be retail. Order from the west coast.