Rebuilding My Old Savage 21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzyotes88

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
So I have a build posted over in the builds thread. I just thought that I would put a thread up in here for more direct questions and issues I run across.

First issue, fuel tank ideas? Mine crumbled, and I'm not buying one for 50 dollars on ebay. So yeah, that's the first thing.

Other stuff, making the transmission stronger. I was already told I can't upgrade to the 3 speed by someone that works for a hobby shop. Other than that, I've been thinking about getting the 4.6 motor. So, until I get a fuel tank I'm at a stand still on anything.

per the HPI website, the 3 speed does fir the HPI Savage 21, 25, and the newer ones, he might have said that because its not as available anymore until HPI can catch up with orders. might be able to find some NOS online somewhere or ebay.
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/87218?show_disc=true
(click on the "show discontinued models" on the drop down.)
the F4.6 definitely is a good engine, i have one in my LST, they are a bit spendier than some other more options currently available, but definitely from my experience a solid choice.

Well that brings into question as it if he meant because of the actual truck I have? It's not a Flux, it's not an X. It's just a simple HPI savage 21 with the 3.5 motor. No special name along with it.

Without the 3 speed, I'm not able to upgrade to add the reverse module. However perhaps I should just get it running first before going farther. Ha ha

So here are pictures. We just got the motor to run today. Got a generic fuel tank before I was sent info on the actual tank that's available and in stock. Anyways. My question is, what motor mounts up to this truck that I can possibly get? I only know HPI and Traxxas. I'm not familiar with any other brands that are able to bolt onto my truck.

Yes mine goes, however it needs a new carb. Ordered one. Looks like it will fit. Just wanting a second option on a motor.

Attachments

• 20210211_154844.jpg
    20210211_154844.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210211_154848.jpg
    20210211_154848.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20210211_154855.jpg
    20210211_154855.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210211_154901.jpg
    20210211_154901.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 123
Any .21- .32 nitro engine with a pullstart/rotostart should fit. Unfortunately, options are limited in the pullstart/rotostart engines that are still available, as the heyday of monster trucks has long passed. Some options still available are dynamite .28 big red, .21-.28 SH branded engines with pullstarts, and novarossi pullstart big block engines which have become extremely difficult to find as they have since gone out of business it seems. Also, LRP has a .32 pullstart engine that will bolt in. Sometimes on eBay, you can find older used big block pullstart engines .21 and up, but being that they are used you are rolling the dice.

So what do those translate over to as far as size? Perhaps in confused, I have a 21 but it's a 3.5 motor. I took the 3.5 as the size. If I do the .28 dynamite what does that equal in the other size?

So what do those translate over to as far as size? Perhaps in confused, I have a 21 but it's a 3.5 motor. I took the 3.5 as the size. If I do the .28 dynamite what does that equal in the other size?
.21 is the Cubic inch measurement, 3.5 is the Cubic centimeter measurement
.21CI=-3.5CC
.28CI=4.6CC
mostly any current big block (.21/3.5- .32/5.3) will fit.
i would suggest exhausting all options before buying used, unless there is something about that engine that you want or need.

Sorry there, I was indeed referring to cubic inches rather than cubic centimeters. Hope d3mon cleared up the confusion for you. Either way, all the engines I listed should fit your Hpi Savage.

A 4.6 engine is around $250. This truck was a beast and any smaller motor wouldn't be the same. You can find used trucks with a 4.6 for the same price and still get parts for the engine.

So, I have a carb coming today for my stock motor. The one on it even after cleaning it up with it being taken all apart it won't move. However, I've got a dynamite big red in my Amazon cart that after the help you just gave I might go ahead and get it. Reviews are good. It's got plenty of power. It bolts up. I'll just have to buy some more fuel for break in.

As luck would have it, my buddy was looking on Facebook marketplace and found a full hpi savage for 100 dollars. Going to get it later today. ??

And you thought $250 was too much? I new you could find cheaper than $200,
craigslist or Facebook market place is better than Ebay.

Well yeah. I was being patient. But also excited and just not accepting that parts are hard to find. Been out of the game for too long I guess.

I too was that way. Before the pandemic prices on ebay were cheap! They just kept going up and up. So I am glad I stocked up. Now I don't buy much rc parts. They are just too high! I don't find much in my area on Craigslist or fakebook. So Ebay is what I have to work with. I have switched my buying to mountain bike parts as I can get them cheap now.

Yeah years ago ebay was the way to go with rc parts. And then life got in the way. Got a family and all that. Now I'm without that part and got bored and said why not get back into it?

Ok well, I got a surprise when I just picked this savage up. It's the 4.6!! Has everything included. Even the manual. The guy didn't know for sure but it might have the 3 speed transmission. So I think I might change the title of this thread and just include it rather than making a new one. Same with my build thread.

I'm beyond excited right now. Just have to do 3 things and it's up and running.

It would seem I spoke to soon. Got home and the heat fins are loose. As is the back plate where the roto start is a part of. When both of those are made tight the motor only cranks once and won't crank again. Loosen them and it turns just fine.

Any ideas?

Well it's time to see what the problem is? Good find with a little work you should be able to get it running again. The 3 speed is a bonus!!!!