rebuild and break-in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blckrevo33

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everyone,finally sat down to rebuild my 3.3 and i was wondering if i use the same break-in method as a brand new engine or is there a different method i should use? The only thing that i used from old engine was the crankshaft,as the engine wasn't quite blown but well under way to being tired.the original engine lasted 9 or 10 gallons and i broke that in the traxxas way,so it has been a very good engine for me.thanks in advance for any tips or hints and especially any advise.

You should follow the Traxxas break-in procedure as if the mill is brand new.

What worked for you before will work for you again.

You should follow the Traxxas break-in procedure as if the mill is brand new.

What worked for you before will work for you again.

ok thats what i was thinking myself,but i see and read a lot on here about the heat cycle method and wasn't sure if that would be better.thanks for the advise. Now that it is supposed to be better weather i am gonna start breaking it in tonight.:D

Traxxas's break-in method is very close to the heat cycle method. Not quite as drawn out, but relatively close if I remember correctly. The only thing I'd change really about their break-in for their engines is to make sure to put the piston at bottom dead center when you shut it down.

Traxxas's break-in method is very close to the heat cycle method. Not quite as drawn out, but relatively close if I remember correctly. The only thing I'd change really about their break-in for their engines is to make sure to put the piston at bottom dead center when you shut it down.

thanks olds,3 years ago when i bought this truck someone told me that if i put it on bdc after everytime i shut it off that the engine would last a lot longer. needless to say i developed that habit imediately and i will say it definately helps the engine last a lot longer.since i never got to put it back together last night i was wondering if it is smart to seal the carb and backplate right from the beginning? and should i set the needles to factory for break in?

There is definitely no harm in sealing it up prior to running it the first time. I generally do just to avoid issues. Rarely do I get a new engine, install and run in the same day, so usually, I bust it down, rinse the inside out with fuel to get any milling debris out, then seal it up with RTV like I would any other engine.

Saves you headaches later on usually.

thank you for the advise, i just got done putting it back on the truck and will be breaking it in tomorrow. i didnt think of using feul to flush it all out but i did use the compressor to blow it all out good before i started. i will have to remember the feul trick though.thanks again and will let you guys know how the break-in goes. hopefully there will be no issues.

You will want to start at factory settings and then do a few passes. You will need to lean out a little to get your temps to about 200 to 220. Traxxas suggests that the temps be around the 220 mark, However if it is in the 200 to 220 range you should be fine.

You will want to start at factory settings and then do a few passes. You will need to lean out a little to get your temps to about 200 to 220. Traxxas suggests that the temps be around the 220 mark, However if it is in the 200 to 220 range you should be fine.

you are dead on jnjritz,thats exactly how it went.it fired right up at factory settings, ran the first half tank and leaned it a little and temps ran 210-215 through the rest of the first tank and all of the second. thats as far as i got tonight and will finish break-in first thing in the morning. thanks for all the tips guys it is appreciated.

Back