How to break in a brushed motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my 12-year old son participate and make a motor break in table using a DC motor speed controller with potentiometer we had in the parts bin and 12 volt power supply. I lent him a shunt to track the amperage and we used a volt meter to set the voltage at 3 volts. It worked out great! We broke in a new Holms Hobbies 12 turn 5-slot motor for the recently built Traxxas Big foot we put together from mostly spare Traxxas 2WD parts and some extra help from Jenny’s and Amain. Thank you Greywolf74 for sharing that video which was the inspiration for this. We used whatever parts we had in the house and spent no money. I observed the brushes before and after we did this and it really does work. Those brushes were perfectly coped to that comm after 20 minutes running under water and that water was full of carbon.

View attachment 161236

View attachment 161237

View attachment 161238

View attachment 161239

View attachment 161240

View attachment 161241

View attachment 161242

View attachment 161243
Thats awesome brutha! I love stuff like this!

One common method for breaking in a new brushed motor is to run it at about half speed for a few minutes, then let it cool down for a few minutes, and repeat that process a few times. This helps the brushes and commutator to wear in evenly and can improve the motor's overall performance

One common method for breaking in a new brushed motor is to run it at about half speed for a few minutes, then let it cool down for a few minutes, and repeat that process a few times. This helps the brushes and commutator to wear in evenly and can improve the motor's overall performance
This process would put a lot more stress on the brushes than a more traditional low RPM water break-in