Tmaxx Conversion Questions.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araider4life

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening! First thread on any RC forum. Before asking these questions I did a good amount of research and still not 100% on the conversion so please don't fillet me!
My R/C history starts out in 84 with a Tamiya Grasshopper. In 87 I got a Midnight Pumkin then started to race an RC10 then a Turbo Ultima. In 89 I got a JRX2 then monster truck conversion for said jrx2 5 link. In 90 I was one of the first sponcered drivers for Traxxas racing the Blue Eagle and TRX1. After winning some ROAR regional and placing decent at some national events I quit and played college baseball.
Fast forward to 2021 and 6 kids later I have collected about 50 RC cars and trucks of all makes and scales.
Now to my question. I just acquired a tmaxx 2.5 with short chassis, 3.3 engine, gray transmission, (3.3). I have been buying a boatload of parts for the conversion without really finding accurate info. I used youtube and Google for references.....still not confident? I have all the electrics, castle esc, 2200 motor......6s capable. I know I need the motor bracket...see that on ebay. I got all metal driveshafts x 4.....transmission metal driveshafts x2. Finally the Question.....Can I use this 3.3 transmission by installing forward only and or single speed gears? Some say yes, others no? If not do I buy the 2.5 black transmission cases and mount that with the new gears as listed above? Plan is to drive top speed on old runway using metal Robinson Racing 52t spur 30t Pinon. Any info or thoughts would be greatly appriciated! I also bought the 3.3 long chassis, how does this affect deive shaft length! Pics to come!

Thanks, Judd in Alameda, CA

Welcome to the site.
The foc is more durable then the reverse tranny. I would look into Robinson racing hardened gears for it. That or mod a brushless tranny in. The plastic will last...... It may last 2 minutes, or several months or years. It just has alot of variables to say which one.

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/tmaxx33.html

I converted both of my T-Maxx's over to brushless. The axle shafts have held up so far, but I have steel ones if I turn them into pretzels. I'm running the transmissions that they came with that had no reverse. So I bought the reverse kit and steel gears and rebuilt them. I did that because I fried the plastic gears about the 3rd trip out. I didn't strip the teeth off, I fried the plastic gears. Plus I hate not having reverse. One of my T-Maxx's has a 6s brushless, which even smoking down the road, I can bury the throttle and still lift the front wheels. The other one has a 3s brushless. Still fast, just not as fast as the other one. I've got 2 T-Maxx's and 8 E-Maxx's that are for bashing. Converted all the E-Maxx's over to a single brushless motor over the twin motors they come with. One battery is better than two and the brushless runs circles around any of the brushed that I had. So as I smoked the brushed motors, I replaced them with brushless.

Back