Real Fire (How To)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys should see these bodies in person, they look great!:D

man thats tight..still dont think i could do it..

How do you do the green or the purple flames like on some of your newer lids?

How do you do the green or the purple flames like on some of your newer lids?

I do it exactly the same, but instead of using yellow first then orange, I just use the same color anno twice. One layer of whatever color anno I'm using, then the first layer of flames, then another coat of the same color anno over the first layer of flames, then another layer of flames, then it all gets backed with black.

aws job hey.i just got a new body for my xl and I'm goin to try to do this paint job.do u have any more true flame jobs pics i could look at?i gather the purple flamed truck ur work to?I've got the techinque down on a coke bottle,just need to get the flames rite.any more tips would be great.

That was actually my very first one. I thought it looked more lava like than fire, but looking at it again I like it too. I painted over that body with flat black.

that rubicon body looks sweet joe. . .thats the most realistic looking one of all of them. . .in my opinion that is

You guys should really try it, if you don t feel comfident doing it on lids, try your hands on scrap 1st. Lexan is everywhere from Barbie packaging to bed sheet large boxes and all sorts of packaging really !
it s a great way to get comfident.

You can also use thick vinyl wallpaper or flooring material for your shields. I find it to be hand because they re flexible enough .

I d do a carbon fiber tutorial if no one does befor i get back home in Nov.

It s pretty easy, I use shelf lining as a mask .
Basically spray a couple of black streaks, put the lining down, spray black , lift up and spray silver or chrome . Play around with that until you get the desired result. You can start with a transparent coat of any color if you want to tint it blue or purple or whatever else
Feel free to make the paint A to Z a sticky also if you wish to.

I m 200% for sharing knowledge and tecniques and I strongly think it s a great way to inspire people. Airbrushing is fun and rewarding and cheaper than most think .

quick question, on the purple flame body that you posted, did you only use that one color of purple? So basically all I would need is the dynamite purple white and black? That looks sick and I really want to try the same color scheme that you did. If you could let me know exactly what colors I need that would be awesome! Thanks:D

Yep, just the one purple. Start with about 2-3 light coats, do the flames, then do another 2-3 coats of purple, then the next layer of flames, then just back it all with black.

Yep, just the one purple. Start with about 2-3 light coats, do the flames, then do another 2-3 coats of purple, then the next layer of flames, then just back it all with black.

so when you're saying do the flames, that is when I apply the white like in your tutorial, and then after I do the second set of flames "in white", do I spray it with purple again before I back it with black? Or do I spray it with black immediately after the second set of white flames?:\ By the way I appreciate all your help.

After the second set of white flames just back it with black, no need for any more purple at that point.

Thanks for the info. Also just to give ya a heads up, I was on RCBoyz.com ordering the purple Dynamite and it looks like they now have two different hard anodized purples the dynamite, and the flourescent hard anodized. I'll post when I try this out. This will be my first real paint job other than just spraycanning a single color. I will practice a bit first but I'll post pics when I'm done. Thanks:D

After the second set of white flames just back it with black, no need for any more purple at that point.

Oh yeah, and if I decide to try that new purple along with the dynamite purple should I spray that second purple over the second set of white flames and then immediately back it with black? And also does it matter which type of black? Sorry for all the questions I will leave you alone after this but I'm just excited and inspired by how cool your boddies turn out. Thanks in advance:)

I know this is old but could this technique be used for ghost flames as well?

Wish I had the talent to do something like that. I was wondering after you finish the first coat of white, do you cover the whole body with the orange and then black? Sorry for all the questions, I am a little confused