Real Fire (How To)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCNitro

Fist of Goodness
In Memoriam
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Materials needed:

Paints -

Spaz Stix Hard Annodized yellow and orange
Pactra Acryl basic white and basic black

IMG_4298.jpg

Paint Shields -

I made my own freehand shields from scrap lexan

IMG_4302.jpg

Lets Begin -

The first thing I did was trim and wash the body. Then using the Spaz Stix Hard Metal anno, I shot the majority of the inside of the body, covering everywhere I wanted the flames, then let it dry completely.

IMG_4526.jpg

Next, using the freehand shield, and acrylic white paint I laid out the first layer of flames. Shooting around the outside of the shield. The heavier the white the brighter the yellow will be on the finished product.

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4905.jpg

Next, after letting the white dry completely I shot the inside of the body with the Spaz Stix Hard anno orange and let it dry completely. Once dried I again used the shields and laid down the next layer of flames using the Pactra acryl basic white.

IMG_4911.jpg

After letting it dry completely again, I then backed the entire inside of the body with the Pactra Acryl basic black.

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

Then for the finishing touches I cut a thin strip of the window masks to make a border around the windows, painted the rivets on using a toothpick and some silver paint, backing that with Pactra acrylic charcoal, and then painted the bed using the carbon fiber technique.

IMG_5343.jpg

After peeling off the protective film this is what I had...

IMG_5349-1.jpg

IMG_5351-1.jpg

That's basically all there is to it.

That is the best paint how too I have seen. I LOVE the big font....I am going to try this. Could you perhaps do a similiar short how to on the carbon fiber technique?

Oh and BTW that body turned out Sweet!!! Great Work.

TalonOne

So you covered the entire inside of the body with the annodized yellow, and the annodized red? Or just where you want the flames to go? I was wondering because if you backed it with the black, wouldnt you be able to see the red and yellow where there wasn't flames? Get what I'm saying?

So you covered the entire inside of the body with the annodized yellow, and the annodized red? Or just where you want the flames to go? I was wondering because if you backed it with the black, wouldnt you be able to see the red and yellow where there wasn't flames? Get what I'm saying?

You'd think so, but you dont... The black will cover all the anno paint, except where the anno ws backed with white..

You'd think so, but you dont... The black will cover all the anno paint, except where the anno ws backed with white..
Sweet! Thanks for the tips! I got another body I gotta paint here maybe Ill try it out! Very nice write up!

I could use a good carbon fiber write up as well. Mine always comes out really foggy looking, I dunno why.. I see yours with the nice sharp edges, I gotta be doing something wrong.

That's all there is, huh? Even a caveman could do it? lol
Great job on the tutorial bro... :cheers:

Don't you mean even a monkey could do it? Just kidding, MW. Super job. May have to try this on a new lid later on.

Thanks for another good how-to NC. I read the one at CFX, too and you guys make it look simple. I have my test panel set up in the paint room. Looks like it's time to practice!

Holy crap man.... you are one talented man. I am with Monkey man.... I can't get over how cool that looks! Great job! How long have you been painting lids?

Tom

Holy crap man.... you are one talented man. I am with Monkey man.... I can't get over how cool that looks! Great job! How long have you been painting lids?

Tom

Thanks Tom, I starting painting lids about 6-7 years ago. But back then it was rattle cans and pre cut paint masks. I just really enjoy this part of the hobby, painting and wrenching are a great part of this hobby for me.

Looks good dude! I'm gonna do a marble tutorial in a couple weeks =)

Dang, NC. That kicks so much azz. I might have to try that on my next 5b body :D