RC Equipment for a Gaff Rigged Sailing Scow / Need Advice

• Thread starter Susquehanna River Rat
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build update. Making some progress but at this stage, the fine detailing is very time consuming.

Attachments

• 30 Aug 2021 Side.jpg
    30 Aug 2021 Side.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 30 Aug 2021 Pic 3.jpg
    30 Aug 2021 Pic 3.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 30 Aug 2021 Pic 4.jpg
    30 Aug 2021 Pic 4.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 70
Build update. Making some progress but at this stage, the fine detailing is very time consuming.
Looking great! That looks like so much fun to build. Are you working from a blueprint or just drawings or what?

Oh! Don't I know it!
I cut every strip out of larger wood on my Proxxon table saw and glued the on piece by piece. Took about a week working about 3 hrs a day to do what you see. Still has a ways to go. Building up the cabin right now. It has even smaller strips on the sides ........

Oh! Don't I know it!
I cut every strip out of larger wood on my Proxxon table saw and glued the on piece by piece. Took about a week working about 3 hrs a day to do what you see. Still has a ways to go. Building up the cabin right now. It has even smaller strips on the sides ........
When I was into N-Scale railroading I setup a fence on a bandsaw and ripped train loads of scale lumber out of Basswood for building a trestle bridge. Lots of fun.

Oh! Don't I know it!

The curse of being a creative person. ;)

When I was into N-Scale railroading I setup a fence on a bandsaw and ripped train loads of scale lumber out of Basswood for building a trestle bridge. Lots of fun.

The curse of being a creative person. ;)
The curse of being a perfectionist. This is the second hull and third or fourth deck attempt. Now, I saw that the angles of the bow and Stern - are just slightly off. Having - anxiety - attacks!
Aaaaaahhhhhhh

The curse of being a perfectionist. This is the second hull and third or fourth deck attempt. Now, I saw that the angles of the bow and Stern - are just slightly off. Having - anxiety - attacks!
Aaaaaahhhhhhh
You'll never see it from the Farmer City race track on a galloping mule 😉

I am currently working on a 1/18 scale, scratch built, wooden model of The Chesapeake Bay Sailing Scow "Elsie of Havre de Grace" and want to install RC equipment in the boat to operate everything. I have little experience with RC but with a little help, I am sure I can make this work........can't I ? :oops:
So here goes...
Servo 1. Rudder (easy)
Servo 2. Main Boom (Winder type) The main boom will be free floating and operate like the real one. The servo line will let out and bring in the boom to trim the main sail.
Servo 3. Main Sail (Winder type) Raising and lowering the main sail. This line will be attached to the Gaff to raise and lower the main sail. This could also be used to trim the sails. Not sure if it will work or not but it should.
Servo 4. Jib Boom (Winder type) Like Servo 2 but but for the Jib Sail Boom.
Servo 5. Jib Sail (Winder type) Like Servo 3 but for the Jib Sail
Servo 6. Starboard Lee Board. Because the boat is flat bottomed and does not have a keel like normal sail boats, it utilized what are called "Lee Boards". These are mounted on the sides of the boat and only one of them (the "Leeward" or downwind side Lee Board is in the water. The upwind lee board is raised.) I am not sure how to attach them to the servo.
A direct attachment or probably better a belt or chain drive. The just need to go up and down a short way.
Servo 7. Same as Servo 6 but Port side.
Servo 8. Gaff Boom (Winder type) This Servo operates to make adjustments lifting the outer end of the Gaff Boom. This will tighten or loosen the outer edge of the main sail.

Again, this is what I would like to put in the boat. My question is, what do I need to make all of this work. There is enough room in the boat, about 3 1/2 ft long, for the equipment but still, if there are small servos out there, I would prefer installing them. I have added a few photos of the original "Elsie" so you can see what I mean from the description above.
Thanks in advance for the help.
The absolute best place to look for parts, equipment, and sometimes advice, is sailboat RC: https://www.sailboatrc.com/ That will give you an idea of what parts you will need to run the sails, rigging, Lee Boards, Rudder, and anything else you may need to do with it. They are in Croatia, but, will give you a good starting point. Are you trying to make the booms raise and lower, or just have the sails raise and lower, as well as be able to set trim? An RMG Winch is perfect for that, since that is what it was designed for. This is what i mean: https://www.sailboatrc.com/product/rmg-winch-285ef1/ They are a bit pricey though. Here are some from RC Yachts: https://rcyachts.com/RMG.htm I havent built a sailboat of any type in more than 10 years, but, i used to get all my stuff from here: https://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/

Sorry for letting the thread go for so long. Been very busy with other things. Haven't made much progress on the scow since then. Had to make a few minor adjustments to make the deck fit right with the hull.
I decided to just go ahead and make her ready for a test run without adding all the detailing I want to put on her. I also decided to only operate the 2 booms, rudder and lee boards first off (5 servos) just to see how she runs and what needs to be adjusted. Still need to get 2 servos for that. Main sail is pretty much finished. Jib is in planning. Hope I can at least get her in the water before it gets too cold here in Germany.

This is an awesome build. I haven't seen anyone mention any radios / receivers yet - I'd recommend Radiolink, they've got great bang for their buck for large channel counts and customization. Their "AT-10-II" offers 12 channels for under $200.

Crawler winches are a perfect choice for RC sailing. Standard size servos will probably cover your needs for a 3' long boat.

I'd recommend nimh batteries since this'll be on the water, and since weight won't be much of an issue, you could fit sub-C 6V pack or even two in parallel and run all day.

This is an awesome build. I haven't seen anyone mention any radios / receivers yet - I'd recommend Radiolink, they've got great bang for their buck for large channel counts and customization. Their "AT-10-II" offers 12 channels for under $200.

Crawler winches are a perfect choice for RC sailing. Standard size servos will probably cover your needs for a 3' long boat.

I'd recommend nimh batteries since this'll be on the water, and since weight won't be much of an issue, you could fit sub-C 6V pack or even two in parallel and run all day.
I just recently started to run Radiolink and love it. That 600m range is rad!!!