Radio system thoughts.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooky78

RCNT Window Licker
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So, I read a lot about computer radios, newfangled this and that, telemetry... you know the drill. I'm a simple guy, I don't think I really need to know whether I'm running just shy of Mach 1 or 28 MPH. That being said, I have a mess of RTR radios with my stuff. I dig 2.4, and I REALLY like my kids not poking each others eyes out with 27/75 mhz tune in Tokyo antennas. Now...
My radio to my favorite truck, my Savage, somehow got shut in the garage door. It's the HPI TF40. My Appalachian engineering kicked in and I scabbed the wheel off the JR that was collecting dust, and it kinda works. But I'm looking for a new one. HPI shows a "waterproof" reciever on thier site, but I can't find it for sale. I know Spektrum has thier "reliakote" but I don't want a huge screen on my radio. What are you all using? I really don't have a need for 4 channels, not really even 3. I've thought of adding reverse, but I have have kids to marshal for me. And being seasonal, I'm laid off right now so my budget is slim.
Don't flame on me too awful hard, but I'd just as soon do business with someone stateside, so in my opinion Hobby King is out.
Flame on!

Look at the FlySky radio I have one but it's still sitting in the box waiting on my old JR to go south. You can find them on Ebay in the states.

Thanks. Griff, I'll check them out. Friend of mine had a Spektrum DX2E that died on home and my 18 month old plays with it, I kind of dig the grips but that's about it. Lol

I never had any experience with the spektrum I have used airtronics, futaba and JR. I liked the feel of the JR best but alas it is outdated now. I bought the flysky because I was looking for something pretty cheap that people seemed to like, hopefully I will one day get off my butt and get it installed in something.

I hear ya. I have a JR magnum I loved, but the reciever crapped out and now I pirated the wheel. Lol. I'm getting to the point I have stuff I'm trying to figure out what to do with it!

Well, take into account receiver cost as well if you have a lot of vehicles. Also if you have a lot, make sure to get one that can handle all of them.

Now that I found some aftermarket receivers, I really like my spektrum radio. The thread about that is here:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/if-you-have-spektrum-range-issues-try-one-of-these.112035/

Waterproof or not, it's pretty easy to just drop them in a balloon and ziptie them. In all my years of bashing in the snow, wet grass, hitting it with a hose at the end of a bash session, I have yet to fry a receiver. Servo yes... receiver, no. I do the same with my battery packs. I usually drop them in a balloon, double the neck over itself, then use a small ziptie to squeeze it shut. Then I wrap a bit of electrical tape around it the entire thing (two layers on the corners) so the tape can wear vs the balloon due to vibrations. Also, the tape keeps the ballon from being all floppy and irritating to pack into the receiver box. Usually best to apply the tape, then the ziptie. Or then your fighting trapped air in the balloon.

cool Thanks Olds! That's another arguement, there... I have 7 (or8) trucks, but i dont cross radios, cause a lot of times we have 4 or 5 out at a time.

Yeah, I have 5 trucks and I'm the only one that drives them. I used to use an old spektrum DX3.0 which only had 4 model memory. When I added a truck to my fleet, I tried buying a DX3R on ebay for cheap. I think I ended up getting it on the forums. As that thread states, my range didn't get any better even though the transmitter cost 2-3 times more than the one it replaced. Nor did replacing it with a brand new late model transmitter. Seems to me spektrum really dropped the ball on the antenna they use in the receivers or something as those $8 receivers just plain work better.

Any thoughts on the Futaba 3PRKA?

Hobby King has US locations. The cheaper radio's like the flysky's and so on are cool and work very well for what they are. If you plan on being in the hobby along time with many different rigs, you will be doing yourself a favor if you buy a nice Futaba or Spektrum. A higher dollar radio will feel like a higher dollar radio. Main things to look for in any of them, in my opinion, is multiple model memory and epa (end point adjustments) on more than one channel. I had a 4pk for a while, kick myself all the time for selling it, they are SO nice.

I agree, I'd rather have a nice radio, as this one is in fact MINE, not for the kids. But multi model memory is way low on the list. I did some work on a friend's son's Ruckus a couple weeks ago, we replaced his DX2E with a Tatic something, I hated that thing. That's one of the scary things about buying a radio online. I guess IMHO I'd liken it to buying a handgun. I'd rather be able to hold the thing in my hand before I cut the check, ya know?

The Futaba radios are great radios, but are a bit too expensive for me. I've been using a 2nd gen DX3r and have no problems with it. I am thinking of upgrading to a DX4r or DX6r but that's way down the pike. I've been using Spectrum radios since I got back into the hobby. I haven't been disappointed.

Thanks for the thoughts @Rolex, but thats a bit rich for my blood. lol:woot:

@NCNitro recommended an inexpensive system about 6 months ago. Wait for him to stop by with some info, but I bought it instantly just to have a transmitter and receiver for testing things during the build. I was incredibly impressed with it at a price of less than $40.
TrackSTAR D-SPEC 4 channel 2.4 GHz. I was paying close to $90 for receivers, and this one has them for about $10.
NCNitro will give you the link and more info.

I was looking for an inexpensive 2.4 ghz radio to use on my Jeep tuber. I first came across the flysky radios, and while researching them was lead to the Radiolink RC3 and RC4g, which in turn led me to the Turnigy TS4G 4ch radio. I figured at around $40 with extra receivers available for around $10 it was worth a look. I ordered one from Hobby King, and got it in about 4 days. Right off I was pretty impressed , with all the programming options, and 10 model memory at this price point exceeded my expectations. I hooked it all up in my tuber, binding was simple, and it worked great. Once I was sure it was all working I took mine completely apart, removed the potentiometer for the third channel and replaced it with a mini toggle that I could use to operate my winch on my Jeep from the radio, it worked great. I have not tried it on a nitro rig yet, but I am about to. I am completely rebuilding my Savage SS for the first time since the original build, and I purchased another receiver for it to replace the old JR XS3 900mhz radio I had in it. BTW, If you do decide to try one, let it sit on the screen for a few minutes before adding it to your cart and a screen will pop up offering you a lower price. Here is a link to the radio...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dio_System_Gyro_Integrated_AR_Warehouse_.html

Flysky GT3B or GT3C can be had for about $50 and the receivers are about $7/ea. For my non bashing kits I use an airtronics MT-4s but since i have a lot of kits and i dont want to pay $50-$130 per airtronics receiver I also have a Flysky GT3B for the $7 receivers. Theres also quite a few mods out there for the Flysky GT3B ranging from simple to hardcore reprogramming. I've had one for about 5 years or so now and outside of having to replace the occasional receiver the transmitter is still going strong and I've done just about every mod I know of to it except one or two.