Question about switching out an ESC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godfella691981

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Redcat Shredder, it came stock with an 80amp ESC. I have a Hobbywing Max10 SCT would it make any difference putting the Max10 in the Shredder with the stock motor on 4s? Or would it fry the ESC? Would it make it any faster or have more torque?

Is it this shredder?
https://www.redcatracing.com/Shredder-V2

That lists a 120A esc, but looking at tower and others, it does show it with an 80A. Just seems odd to have such a small esc in a 1/6 scale truck. In theory, the max10 sct can handle 120A. I can't for the life of me find what size the 1300kv motor in it is. The max10 sct is intended for 36mm motors. I run one in my stampede with a hobbystar 3665 3100kv motor and it does ok on 3S. Guessing if I wanted to try 4S, I should get s 2400kv or less motor.

Odds are, you'd be better off with a max8 in that size of truck.

Is it this shredder?
https://www.redcatracing.com/Shredder-V2

That lists a 120A esc, but looking at tower and others, it does show it with an 80A. Just seems odd to have such a small esc in a 1/6 scale truck. In theory, the max10 sct can handle 120A. I can't for the life of me find what size the 1300kv motor in it is. The max10 sct is intended for 36mm motors. I run one in my stampede with a hobbystar 3665 3100kv motor and it does ok on 3S. Guessing if I wanted to try 4S, I should get s 2400kv or less motor.

Odds are, you'd be better off with a max8 in that size of truck.
It is odd. I have seen the V2 advertised as coming with an 80amp and 120amp ESC. MY ESC says WP-SC8-RTR the manual says that it is 120amp but if you do a Google search it says its 80amp some places and 120 others. I have also heard that the stock ESC and motor can handle 6s as well.

The Shredder v2 stock motor is 3670 1300kv but you can put the Earthquake 8e Motor mount in it which allows you to use a 40 size motor, most guys will use an Arrma 6s motor and ESC when they upgrade the motor mount.

I have been unable to find ANY upgrade parts for the Shredder other then the motor mount.

Any idea what the axle stub inner diameter is? I was wanting to get a set of the splined stubs from JustBashIt to run XMAXX wheels and tires but I do not know if the stubs are the same size as the Arrma 6s ones. From what I have read the axles on the Shredder are 10mm

It is odd. I have seen the V2 advertised as coming with an 80amp and 120amp ESC. MY ESC says WP-SC8-RTR the manual says that it is 120amp but if you do a Google search it says its 80amp some places and 120 others. I have also heard that the stock ESC and motor can handle 6s as well.

The Shredder v2 stock motor is 3670 1300kv but you can put the Earthquake 8e Motor mount in it which allows you to use a 40 size motor, most guys will use an Arrma 6s motor and ESC when they upgrade the motor mount.

I have been unable to find ANY upgrade parts for the Shredder other then the motor mount.

Any idea what the axle stub inner diameter is? I was wanting to get a set of the splined stubs from JustBashIt to run XMAXX wheels and tires but I do not know if the stubs are the same size as the Arrma 6s ones. From what I have read the axles on the Shredder are 10mm
The SC8 is a 120a 4s capable ESC. Some manufacturers will tell you that it's only capable of a certain amount of cells, likely to prevent you from pushing the limits of the ESC. It's the simplest way of limiting the power and keeping the ESC safe I guess.