Question about 18650 battery charging.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lion1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking to get into the fpv drone hobby. I am going to buy a radio that uses an 18650 battery tray for its power. I'm new to 18650 batteries. The battery tray connects to the transmitter using a 2s lipo balance plug. I already have a nice lipo charger for rc cars and was wondering if I can plug the battery tray with the 18650 batteries in it into my charger using the lipo balance plug and charge them on the Li-ion setting at a low amp rate. Do I nee the banana plug charge leads connected to the tray for this to work or can I charge them straight from the balance lead using a low amp rate? I don't really want to buy an 18650 battery charger if I can charge them this way. Are there any special setting I need to use on my charger for this to work?
Thanks!

you could just plug it into the charger... since you have a nice lipo charger.. list what exact cell you have ? along with that nice charger more than likely you will need to make a cell holder with main power leads along with a balance plug very few chargers will charge directly thru balance plug.. if you do have 1 that does then 7 amps is about max.. id stick to a under 1 C charge rate set charger to li-ion either 4.1 or 4.2 not sure since you dint list cells

it is a 2 cell transmitter battery tray that takes 2 18650 batteries. I'm not sure if the tray is wired in series or parallel. I would be using the tray in the transmitter and if I put charge leads on it will not fit in the battery bay. I would if I could but looking not to purchase anything else. If the balance lead already pumps voltage into the battery to level out the cells, why could it not just charge the 2 18650 batteries albeit at a low amp rate?

you can make a adapter with a servo extension plug to hookup charger thru mains .bottom plug with deans is what I used to charge a single cell on a lipo pack with a low cell you can make up similar plug to charge thru balance wire

Attachments

• single cell plug.jpg
    single cell plug.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 57
I have made my own charger trays for mine back when I used to vape but now that I dont vape anymore I only use them in my flashlights so I dont need to charge them very often. I ended up just buying a stand alone 18650 charger similar to what WVNed posted. That being said you could solder a main power connector on to the existing battery try and then just use the existing battery tray to charge them on your normal lipo charger.

Back