Puffed up Lipo.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbaker65

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
My Lipo battery is puffed up out of the case ,what should I do with it? ,it still works though!

Should I dispose them ,an get another ,an how do I dispose of them safely?

I am new to the Lipo era!

Generally an excessively puffed LiPo presents a serious hazard. If it vents then you’ll likely destroy your car. Or garage. Or basement. Best not to use it.

To dispose of it most of the guys I fly with will hook a turn signal or brake light bulb to it and let it drain down for a few days. Then when it’s pretty much dead you can twist the positive and negative leads together and just toss it. Once it’s drained it’s basically harmless.

Generally an excessively puffed LiPo presents a serious hazard. If it vents then you’ll likely destroy your car. Or garage. Or basement. Best not to use it.

To dispose of it most of the guys I fly with will hook a turn signal or brake light bulb to it and let it drain down for a few days. Then when it’s pretty much dead you can twist the positive and negative leads together and just toss it. Once it’s drained it’s basically harmless.

Thnx big time ,because its pregnant like a freakin elephant!.....:eek:

For pitts sake man don't charge it, look up lipo meltdown on YouTube.. even if you charge on appropriate bag.. these things melt down like they where made for destruction.

My Lipo battery is puffed up out of the case ,what should I do with it? ,it still works though!

Should I dispose them ,an get another ,an how do I dispose of them safely?

I am new to the Lipo era!
If it puffed up enough to split a hard case, that should be enough of a reminder to take it out of commision.

Care to elaborate on stats?
  • RC platform?
  • Battery cell count?
  • Age of battery (approx.)?
  • Battery "C" rating?
I'd like to know the "C" rating used, because I had a few packs (included in RTR packages) that just were not up to the task of providing enough power...they quickly went bye bye.

If it puffed up enough to split a hard case, that should be enough of a reminder to take it out of commision.

Care to elaborate on stats?
  • RC platform?
  • Battery cell count?
  • Age of battery (approx.)?
  • Battery "C" rating?
I'd like to know the "C" rating used, because I had a few packs (included in RTR packages) that just were not up to the task of providing enough power...they quickly went bye bye.

Its a hard case car & truck battery that I bought about 4 years ago to run my custom built E-Ld3 with ,I
know its old ,an yes ,it did puff an split the case!

It is a Thunder power 5400 25c 3's

Yeah I typically run my lipos till they look like footballs. My main truck is extra heavy so it takes a toll on them. I’d buy a different grand lipo but this brand has such a great warranty I can’t complain. Lipos are only dangerous if you don’t respect them. If it’s a football, toss it. In my experiences I’ve never had a lipo blow up from puffing alone ever, but a puffed lipo is more prone to punctures due to internal pressure, which will create a fiery explosion.

Yeah I typically run my lipos till they look like footballs. My main truck is extra heavy so it takes a toll on them. I’d buy a different grand lipo but this brand has such a great warranty I can’t complain. Lipos are only dangerous if you don’t respect them. If it’s a football, toss it. In my experiences I’ve never had a lipo blow up from puffing alone ever, but a puffed lipo is more prone to punctures due to internal pressure, which will create a fiery explosion.

I have one more ,2's that are slightly puffed ,but the 3's puffed up out of the case an was peeking at me!...

I have one more ,2's that are slightly puffed ,but the 3's puffed up out of the case an was peeking at me!...
Hah, like I said, it’s all about what you’re comfortable with.

Hah, like I said, it’s all about what you’re comfortable with.

It is sitting way out in the back yard ,I aint about to put it back in the Slash!
I got to figure out what I am going to do with it ,may take it into town when I go get me
some nitro!

Bring it to a full charge, set up your video camera in the living room, place the battery on the coffee table under the gallon of nitro and blast it with a 12 gauge.
Please post the video on YouTube under the title of "Things only a moron would do."
Include the link in your next post.
Suggestions above are much safer but who wants to watch a YouTube video of you safely recycling it?

Bring it to a full charge, set up your video camera in the living room, place the battery on the coffee table under the gallon of nitro and blast it with a 12 gauge.
Please post the video on YouTube under the title of "Things only a moron would do."
Include the link in your next post.
Suggestions above are much safer but who wants to watch a YouTube video of you safely recycling it?

No ,I don't want to P.... my wife off ,that would be like setting 100 of those off!.....:hehe: