Problem with Nitro RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forpanos

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi guys, I'm new to nitro rc cars and i have a problem with my rs4 rtr3 evo..
First of all when i try starting it ,smoke comes out of the fuel tank
It is hard to start the engine and every time it is about to turn off(stall)
My glow plug igniter is new so it is not the problem
after a lot of minutes it looks like it runs properly so it may not be a tuning problem
As i told you i am new to this hobby so if someone could help me what shoud i do it would be greatly appreciated
Sorry for my bad english i am from Greece
i have also uploaded a video if you want to see what it is doing

I saw smoke coming out of the fuel tank but didnt see any coming out of the exhaust pipe. First thing Id do is check and see if something is partially blocking the exhaust pipe. Other than that your tune may need a little bit of work but it started and was running so i dont think its anything to serious. The only thing that I saw that looked really problematic to me was the exhaust issue.

I have the same car but with the .12ss engine and haven't had that type of issue. I do know that the exhaust is a 2 piece that bolts together about 1/2 way down. The only thing I can think is that it is loose and all of your exhaust pressure is going out the leak rather than the exhaust exit. This may also explain why the tune didn't sound the greatest either.

I saw absolutely no smoke out of the exhaust, even when you got on it a little bit. Also, from the sound of it, it almost sounds as though you are running too lean, you may also want to check where the header bolts to the block, make sure it is good and tight. By any chance to you have a temp gun? Don't worry about your english, it is better than some people from America that post here lol.

A hole in the coupler? That would be the piece of silicon/rubber that connects the exhaust header to the muffler. For HPI the stock one is purple in color.

sorry I seem to be trying to derail everyones threads here lately for some unknown reason. :(

Could you give us a video of the smoke by the tank? That was very unusual just after starting. We need to see exactly where that's coming from.

Also check the exhaust stinger for blockage as that could also cause the smoke coming out of the tank.

It sounded like the one way bearing was slipping, that could be the main reason it's hard to start.

Ahhhh yes Schrode, you're right! I noticed that too but then I got hung up on the smoke coming out of the tank or close to it and forgot to mention that! :)

Thank you for your answers and sorry for not replying so long.. I sawa lot of smoke coming out from the fuel tank instead of the exhaust .. My brother removed the tank and saw it had a crack so fuel couldn't reach the engine... A lot of fuel was stuck in the piston ,I changed also the spark plug by the chance.. Anyway I got it for service and tuning.. I now have a new problem.. When I use the rotostart the flywheel is not turning so the engine is not starting.. What do you thing guys ?

The guy in service told me there was no problem with the exhaust so I'm good :D

I forgot to mention that now the smoke problem is solved once I replaced the fuel tank

Schrode.. What is the one way bearing ? And how can I sovle this because I think that I have this problem with the flywheel now because of this ..

Last edited:
Schrode.. What is the one way bearing ? And how can I sovle this because I think that I have this problem with the flywheel now because of this ..
The one way bearing is what spins the engine to get it started, it locks on the starter shaft while starting and then free spins while the engine is running. I'd take the backplate off and check the owb's condition and clean it with some WD40, some times they get a little gummed up with excess oil from the fuel.

Oh I see.. I will try removing it and cleaning it .. I'll keep you informed.. Should I take the backplate off completely or just unscrew it a little bit and pull it a little bit off ?

Should I take the backplate off completely or just unscrew it a little bit and pull it a little bit off ?
Completely, that way you can wipe it down if needed.

Make sure to put it back on the same way it came off.
Remove it and slosh it around in some denatured alcohol or even rubbing alcohol and blow it off. Do that a few times and also wipe the shaft with an alcohol soaked rag or tissue to remove any oil residue.

so ... i tried removing it but i couldnt .. there was a screw that i couldnt access .. i think the engine had to came off ,but i dont know how to do it.. any other idea ? or i just go back for service?

A guy in the comments of my video told me that the one way bearing is slipping because of my shaft angle .. What do you think ?

Last edited:
The OWB slips cause it needs cleaned or replaced.
The angle of your roto-start shaft makes no difference here.

You really need to put a new air filter on the engine, the one in the video looks horrible.

I bought a new filter .. OWB may need a replace because it is there since 2009