Problem with Nitro RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The age of the OWB doesn't have nearly as much bearing as the amount of fuel it has seen. The engine would have to be removed in order to remove it and properly clean it. Back in the day with the original .15 Tmaxx you used to be able to drill a hole in the EZ start case and just squirt some motor cleaner around to "clean" it. It would be nice if you could do that on the Evo3 but the setup is completely different.

i think the engine had to came off ,but i dont know how to do it.. any other idea ?
Yes, you'll have to pull the engine.

or i just go back for service?
Unless you have a ton of money and feel like giving it away, this is a hobby that's much cheaper when you do things yourself.

+1 on advise above. This is a hobby that you have to work on your car's. That's kinda part of it. If you can't or don't know how to fix or work on your car you may want to look into a different hobby. This hobby is expensive as it is and if you start throwing in the cost of your local hobby shop fixing your car all the time your going to rack up a huge expense. It's nice having your lhs there to help but fixing your car all the time will get expensive. The only time I've ever used my lhs mechanic was a technical issue I was having and I just couldn't figure it out. It took him a few days to fix it too but he did and didn't even charge me because it was a learning experience for him too and I spend a lot of money with him. You may want to look into electric also there a little less complicated than the nitro. I'm not trying to knock you down this is merely just friendly advise. Good luck and I really hope you get It all figured out.

yeah ... i dont have that much money ,but i think if i try removing the engine ,i may need a lot more money ,once i dont know how to do it.. i wanted to go electric but my brother bought this car when i was a child ,now its mine.. anyway ,i will try finding a video on how to remove it

yeah ... i dont have that much money ,but i think if i try removing the engine ,i may need a lot more money ,once i dont know how to do it.. i wanted to go electric but my brother bought this car when i was a child ,now its mine.. anyway ,i will try finding a video on how to remove it
You'll be fine, it's always a little scary your first time. Use your manual, and take pictures as you go (if needed).

i tried .. but 3 f***ing screws couldnt come off.. i used even wd40 and nothing .. the engine doesn't come off because of this :(

You can remove the engine either by the 4screws that screw into the mount or you can remove it by removing the whole mount with the engine still attached. It's better to remove it by the 4 screws from the top and don't remove the whole mount. If you have to remove it by the Mount you will have to realign the spur and clutch bell.

i should just remove these 4 screws right (for the engine)?

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    731.1 KB · Views: 146
That's if you want to remove mount and all. There should be 4 screws from the top side at the base of the motor. More than likely Allen head screws.

you mean these ?

i want to get this part of the engine out (so i can remove it and clean it)

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    565.2 KB · Views: 170
No that takes the cooling head off. At the very bottom of the engine.

It's only tough the first time you do it. Just like your first two wheeler.
Pay attention and keep your screws and parts in order on a paper towel. Taking pictures of each step creates your own assembly manual.

See the 2 holes in that flange at the bottom? Two on each side. That's what holds the engine to the mount.

395879d1229056752-traxxas-revo-platinum-revo-3-3-engine-picture-330.jpg

Last edited:
Yes my engine has these mounts but they are not connected anywhere.. The engine is directly connected to the chassis

Anyway I solved that problem (i took the engine off so I could replace the owb) thank you all guys !!

One more question .. Is it ok to refuel the tank when the engine is still running ?

I do it all the time as well. If you have a good tune going and your temps are not high run 2,3,4 tanks till you shut it down although I typically break something by the time I get to a 3rd or 4th tank. Glad you got it figured out. Did you do the work yourself?

Yes.. I bought a new part for there and I finally I unmounted it.. But I may want to take it for tuning because when I apply full throttle it turns off

There is a "sticky" at the top of the nitro thread that will help you get a better tune for the car. Congrats on breaking your cherry on doing your own work to install the part. If you truly get addicted soon enough you will be making your own cars!!

Okay, congrats on your first big 'fix'. There will be plenty more to come. Please, PLEASE don't go to a hobby shop for a tune up. That's the FIRST thing you should learn about nitro engines. We'll help you through it till you can start teaching others.
Read the info in the link and get familiar with the process. Print out the .pdf file and keep it with you till you can tune by ear.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

i will try doing it on my own ... my engine dies or loses power when full throttle is applied .. but how can i tell if this is because too rich or too lean ? and where should i point the temp gun to measure the temperature of my engine ? i'm following the RC Nitro Tuning Flowchart you sent me