Poor customer service at Horizon Hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
For some reason or another Horizon Hobby refuses to reply to my emails or submitted support ticket via http://www.horizonhobby.com/Service.

On October 25th I purchased their new Blade Scout CX helicopter figured it would be a great toy to play around with in the office or at the house. On October 26th the heli had a crash, fell from about 6-7 feet and broke off the back tail boom of the heli. I called my LHS and they did have some parts available for the heli but didn't show anything for the main frame or anything related and suggested I contact Horizon.

On October 26th I did just that, I sent a ticket into Horizon via their support portal on their site and was then immediately sent a auto-reply back stating from their support system. That was the first and only email I've since received. The ticket I submitted explained just as I mentioned above and then asked if they have available any replacement frames.

On November 1st I sent an email to [email protected] asking for a status update on the ticket with the support ticket number included. As of writing this I've not received any replies back from Horizon Hobby.

This morning I've contacted my LHS whom I have a Losi 5ive on order with asking him to cancel this order due to the lack of communication from Horizon. The LHS is great and while surprised by the lack of customer support did also say this, "The heli I had out here is broken as well." (also the Scout CX).

Now realistically after looking more closely at the heli there probably isn't a thing they can do nor is a part they can sell given the way the heli is designed and built. The tail boom is all one piece with the frame (where is broke off). A dab of super glue may in fact just make this like new, however instead of trying to fix this myself I wanted to contact support just in case. Considering the heli was only a day old and figured it couldn't hurt to ask that and this wasn't supposed to be a cheap Wal-Mart $10 R/C helicopter, instead it was a $50 "hobby grade" RC helicopter from a reputable company.

Has anyone else been experiencing poor customer service from Horizon Hobby as well?

I once pre-ordered a HD gear set for my Losi crawler from Horizon. I believe the price was $90 when I pre-ordered. When they finally shipped the item 3 months later, the price had changed to $45. Of course I was charged the higher $90 for which I promptly contacted Horizon CS. They got back to me within a day apologizing and credited my CC the difference. In short, they took care of me. I was still bitter that they didn't make the price adjustment prior to charging my CC though.

Woodie, pick up the phone and call them up. I've never once had bad customer service from Horizon. Quite the opposite actually, they've been outstanding to say the least, but I always call and talk to someone personally.

I've always had good luck talking with them on the phone and getting my issues resolved.

Same here, I've never emailed them, always called and I love there call back feature saves me time from sitting there on my phone. Although the one time they had no idea that Losi put red loc tite on the servo saver our even why they did it. They did send me a new servo, servo saver and hardware so I guess I can't complain.

Kind of defeats the purpose of directing people to your online support portal in both your user manual and website doesn't it then?

For me email is much easier and more convenient, but I'll have to try the phone number this weekend then and see if anything better comes out of it.

I've contacted them twice lately, both times I was very pleased.

The first was for the blade grip recall for the mCPX. Emailed them the form I filled out, had the part 3 days later.

The second was for a defective ESC on a plane I bought. Called them up, explained the situation, and they shipped me the part w/ one day shipping. Told me to do whatever with the old one, they didn't want it back. (FREE connectors!!)

I see where you're coming from though. No response of any type after that long is kind of ridiculous, and certainly against the norm for them. (Let's hope it doesn't become the norm).

Well had my LHS cancel my pre-order for the Losi 5ive and they told me his sales man from Horizon had nothing to say about no replies to my emails (still none to this day) but of course voiced his displeasure about my LHS canceling the order... found that a bit funny.

The ironic part of it all, all I was asking for is if they had replacement parts and if they offered replacement chassis's, because at the time nothing was listed on Horizon's site. Well they DO offer replacement parts and the part I needed - my LHS was able to track it down. Moral of the story... support your LHS :D

Same here. Got some great and knowledgeable people at mine as well.