Please help with ESC and motor combo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm the reason you blew the original and the second brushless motor/ESC combo is due to running them on 3S. They were both meant for 2S only. You can run your HSP truck on 3S if you install a 3S compatible brushless motor/ESC combo but you may wear out the parts faster. In general, it would be better to run it on 2S since that's what it's made for.

I can confirm the reason you blew the original and the second brushless motor/ESC combo is due to running them on 3S. They were both meant for 2S only. You can run your HSP truck on 3S if you install a 3S compatible brushless motor/ESC combo but you may wear out the parts faster. In general, it would be better to run it on 2S since that's what it's made for.
Hi, there thank you for your advice and help it's much appreciated, could you recommend a ESC and motor please, I have about £90 to spend many thanks

Thank you for getting back to me, is Amazon a good place to buy from or do you recommend any shops in the UK

This may sound stupid so I do apologise but I thought the higher the kv on the motor the car would go, is this not true
Amazon is fine for budget lipos. Zeee, Hoovo, Goldbat, Povway, and Ovonic are all decent budget brand lipos that can be bought off of Amazon. At least in the US.

Higher KV means higher RPM/Volt and also usually means you have to drop pinion size to compensate or you can overheat and damage your motor.

Amazon is fine for budget lipos. Zeee, Hoovo, Goldbat, Povway, and Ovonic are all decent budget brand lipos that can be bought off of Amazon. At least in the US.

Higher KV means higher RPM/Volt and also usually means you have to drop pinion size to compensate or you can overheat and damage your motor.
Brilliant, thank you for your help and advice it really is appreciated thank you

Agreed. I recommended he use the two 2S 5000mah lipos he has available for that truck.

The motor/ESC combo that you previously purchased would be good along with a 2S 7.4V 5000 mAh LiPo battery. If you try the same motor/ESC combo again be sure to only use a 2S LiPo battery.

Last edited:
The motor/ESC combo that you previously purchased would be good along with a 2S 7.4V 5000 mAh LiPo battery. If you try the same motor/ESC combo again be sure to only use a 2S LiPo battery.
Thank you that's great, I think I understand now, I've found a combo with a 120 amp ESC, a lower kv motor and I'm going to use the lipo 3 and I'm looking at changing the pinion gear so hopefully it won't overheat, and my ESC states it can handle up to lipo 4s so fingers crossed it shouldn't melt. Thanks guys for all your help

Hi, guys I'm abit new to this so please excuse my rustiness, I have a HSP truck with the brushless motor and esc, I purchased it second hand and as soon as I used it, it blew up so I purchased another brushless esc and motor and am running it on 11.1 batteries as they came with the truck, all was well for about 5 mins and then it blew again, before it blew the truck was so quick and I mean seriously quick, so now I have to buy another motor and esc combo but I'm worried this one will blow aswell, can someone please recommend a combo that won't blow up and can handle my batteries please but also keep the truck very fast, I have about £80 to spend, many thanks Simon
Maybe you to go max8 combo that's what I used 1/10 Irina rebuild from intro to electric
made super fast will take 211.1v batterys in ser. Which is 22.2v total max 10 is good for 11.1v about 119.00. and yes make sure you are geared
Right

Last edited: