Please help with ESC and motor combo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sy78

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi, guys I'm abit new to this so please excuse my rustiness, I have a HSP truck with the brushless motor and esc, I purchased it second hand and as soon as I used it, it blew up so I purchased another brushless esc and motor and am running it on 11.1 batteries as they came with the truck, all was well for about 5 mins and then it blew again, before it blew the truck was so quick and I mean seriously quick, so now I have to buy another motor and esc combo but I'm worried this one will blow aswell, can someone please recommend a combo that won't blow up and can handle my batteries please but also keep the truck very fast, I have about £80 to spend, many thanks Simon

Welcome in @Sy78 , sounds like to me you are over geared and I would lower the pinion gear to a smaller one.

Welcome in @Sy78 , sounds like to me you are over geared and I would lower the pinion gear to a smaller one.
Hi, thank you very much, sorry to pick your brains again but could you also recommend a ESC and motor combo as my brain is frazzled, the last time I had a RC car they still had mechanical speed controllers and none of this brushed or brushless items, I have about £80 to spend, once again thank you for your help

Hi, guys I'm abit new to this so please excuse my rustiness, I have a HSP truck with the brushless motor and esc, I purchased it second hand and as soon as I used it, it blew up so I purchased another brushless esc and motor and am running it on 11.1 batteries as they came with the truck, all was well for about 5 mins and then it blew again, before it blew the truck was so quick and I mean seriously quick, so now I have to buy another motor and esc combo but I'm worried this one will blow aswell, can someone please recommend a combo that won't blow up and can handle my batteries please but also keep the truck very fast, I have about £80 to spend, many thanks Simon
Need more information mate.
1) What truck is it?
2) What ESC/Motor combo did you blow up?
3) What is the tooth count on your pinion and spur gears? (These numbers are usually stamped on the sides of the gears)

Sy. Id take the reply above tad further.. You have a 3 cell lipo not sure what scale truck you have .. so and advised esc motor is a challenge... I think with a 3 cell you will need to gear down but also monitor and have a run time limit. with this hobby you can just go out and run almost any battery from start till lvc kicks in when geared correctly..
list rc plz
gearing plz
what are you doing parking lot bashing off roading ?
mah that you have in a battery

I have a Losi sct v1 that I have moded 3500kv on 3 cells. with 22/45 gearing..a quark 160 amp esc non sensored..solid rubber tires that have been balanced to 150mph..I love to run this truck but I know I can only do 5 times down and back on a 200 foot run top speed just over 125 mph..I never try to take a 6th run I know that will lead to failure(just not doing it)
I have other rc that I can take out and run 8 battery packs thru with no harm back to back very little rest maybe to grab a water to drink.. I love the speed of some of my rc but I know like most things there are limits..

Need more information mate.
1) What truck is it?
2) What ESC/Motor combo did you blow up?
3) What is the tooth count on your pinion and spur gears? (These numbers are usually stamped on the sides of the gears)
Hi, it's a HSP truck RTR that's all it says and this was the set up that blew, and as far as the pinion I assume I'm just using the standard one

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-13-15-05-06-116_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-07-13-15-05-06-116_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_2021-07-13-15-05-06-116_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-07-13-15-05-06-116_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 57
Hi, it's a HSP truck RTR that's all it says and this was the set up that blew, and as far as the pinion I assume I'm just using the standard one
Can you post a few pics of the truck? One with the body, one from over head looking down without the body, and a couple other shots without the body from different angles?

you're going to need to know the exact kit to be able to buy replacement parts

The first picture is my exact model apparently it's the HSP RTR pro. Obviously the next ESC and motor combo I buy I don't want a standard one I would like an uprated one to make it about quicker if possible
Sy. Id take the reply above tad further.. You have a 3 cell lipo not sure what scale truck you have .. so and advised esc motor is a challenge... I think with a 3 cell you will need to gear down but also monitor and have a run time limit. with this hobby you can just go out and run almost any battery from start till lvc kicks in when geared correctly..
list rc plz
gearing plz
what are you doing parking lot bashing off roading ?
mah that you have in a battery

I have a Losi sct v1 that I have moded 3500kv on 3 cells. with 22/45 gearing..a quark 160 amp esc non sensored..solid rubber tires that have been balanced to 150mph..I love to run this truck but I know I can only do 5 times down and back on a 200 foot run top speed just over 125 mph..I never try to take a 6th run I know that will lead to failure(just not doing it)
I have other rc that I can take out and run 8 battery packs thru with no harm back to back very little rest maybe to grab a water to drink.. I love the speed of some of my rc but I know like most things there are limits..
My gearing is standard and it's a 1/10 scale truck, I'm so new to all this that my brain is frazzled, when it works it will mostly be used in car parks with possibly a quick blip on some grass and no jumping it, all I would like is a truck that does about 50-60 mph lasts about 10 mins if possible and won't blow up, I've had this truck for months and I've had a maximum of 2 minutes use out of it so any help will be massively appreciated, thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_151846.jpg
    IMG_20210713_151846.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20210713_151744.jpg
    IMG_20210713_151744.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20210713_151739.jpg
    IMG_20210713_151739.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210713_151727.jpg
    IMG_20210713_151727.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20210713_151715.jpg
    IMG_20210713_151715.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210713_151635.jpg
    IMG_20210713_151635.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20210713_151620.jpg
    IMG_20210713_151620.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Ok, now were getting somewhere. IDK what the first combo was that you blew up but the one you posted is more meant for 1/10 to 1/16 scale on raod drift cars.

What Id personally recommend for running on 3S is THIS. You can also look at THIS if you want something cheaper but I would only run a 7.2/7.4V battery. Either way you're going to want to keep an eye on your motor and ESC temps and make sure they arent getting too hot. That means you're going to need a cheap temp gun of some kind. and if it starts getting to hot you're going to need to adjust your gearing to compensate. That means you'll probably need to buy a handful of pinion gears at some point.

Also just for future thought. Since that truck has a brushless system in it you're going to want to use LiPo batteries instead of NiMH batteries. (You'll have to switch the ESC from NiMH mode to LiPo mode) That would mean buying a special charger for the LiPo batteries as well as the batteries themselves but LiPo lasts waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than NiMH packs. Almost no one runs brushless without running LiPo. Just some food for thought there.

Last edited:
Ok, now were getting somewhere. IDK what the first combo was that you blew up but the one you posted is more meant for 1/10 to 1/16 scale on raod drift cars.

What Id personally recommend for running on 3S is THIS. You can also look at THIS if you want something cheaper but I would only run a 7.2/7.4V battery. Either way you're going to want to keep an eye on your motor and ESC temps and make sure they arent getting too hot. That means you're going to need a cheap temp gun of some kind. and if it starts getting to hot you're going to need to adjust your gearing to compensate. That means you'll probably need to buy a handful of pinion gears at some point.

Also just for future thought. Since that truck has a brushless system in it you're going to want to use LiPo batteries instead of NiMH batteries. That would mean buying a special charger for the LiPo batteries as well as the batteries themselves but LiPo lasts waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than NiMH packs. Almost no one runs brushless without running LiPo. Just some food for thought there.
That is great thank you so much for all your help it is truly appreciated,have a great day and stay safe and once again thank you so much for your help

looking at you pics id say with the stock pinion you are going to have a over heating problem within 3 minutes of running. I read all posts and I seen some 1 talking about a nimh bat.. and stock is a liion battery correct?.
Id count the teeth on pinion.. pull it of count them. I found a tooth pick with a sharpie works good along with a magnifying glass.looks to me close to 24... id go way down like 18 not sure those 3800kv are going to hold up to a 3 cell ..
you can do alot with this hobby .but there are some well known things..cell count= voltage x kv is rpm.. then theres the load...amp need and heat will go up ..try not to get to frizzled lol..

looking at you pics id say with the stock pinion you are going to have a over heating problem within 3 minutes of running. I read all posts and I seen some 1 talking about a nimh bat.. and stock is a liion battery correct?.
Id count the teeth on pinion.. pull it of count them. I found a tooth pick with a sharpie works good along with a magnifying glass.looks to me close to 24... id go way down like 18 not sure those 3800kv are going to hold up to a 3 cell ..
you can do alot with this hobby .but there are some well known things..cell count= voltage x kv is rpm.. then theres the load...amp need and heat will go up ..try not to get to frizzled lol..
Hi, sorry to bother you again, thank you for the help, please find attached pictures of the batteries I have available for my truck as you can see they are quite varied from 5000 mah down to 2200 mah and from what I understand they are lipo 3s ( is that correct as I don't have a clue 😭 ) so can you please recommend a ESC and motor combination that will work with these batteries as I'm desperate to use this truck because the 2 minutes use I've had has been rather entertaining due to its speed, my budget is about £80 but may be able to go a tiny bit higher, there are so many combos about but I don't have a clue which one to buy so if you could recommend one I will be eternally grateful to you, many thanks a frazzled sy

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_173431.jpg
    IMG_20210713_173431.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210713_173427.jpg
    IMG_20210713_173427.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210713_173422.jpg
    IMG_20210713_173422.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 52
The 2200mah batteries dont have enough capacity. The Turnigy 5.0 has no volatge marked on it so I dont know what the cell count is on it. The two Zippy 2S 5000mAh lipos are what I would run with the Castle SW4/3800kv motor combo I posted earlier.

The 2200mah batteries dont have enough capacity. The Turnigy 5.0 has no volatge marked on it so I dont know what the cell count is on it. The two Zippy 2S 5000mAh lipos are what I would run with the Castle SW4/3800kv motor combo I posted earlier.
Great thank you for all your help, I'll have to save up as I can't really afford those combos you showed me earlier, once again great advice thank you

Make sure that the ESC is set to run LiPos. The kit from the facotory comes with a NiMH pack so Id make sure the ESC is set right or you could ruin your lipos

Make sure that the ESC is set to run LiPos. The kit from the facotory comes with a NiMH pack so Id make sure the ESC is set right or you could ruin your lipos
Great thank you I'll make sure I do that, once again thank you for your time and help, have a good evening
Hi, sorry to be a pain but is this set up ok the reason I have looked at it is because it can handle up to lipo 4s, I know I'm only running 3s but I was hoping it would keep the heat abit lower

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-13-18-58-17-971_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-07-13-18-58-17-971_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hi, sorry to be a pain but is this set up ok the reason I have looked at it is because it can handle up to lipo 4s, I know I'm only running 3s but I was hoping it would keep the heat abit lower
I am not familiar with that brand so its a little hard to say. It would probably work but for a few bucks more (at least on the US Amazon site you can get their 120A ESC and that combo should be good on 3S assuming its a decent quality product.
https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Origi...+combo&qid=1626204738&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-1

That Turnigy 5.0 pack you have does the balance plug have 4 wires connected to the plug? If so that is a 3S lipo thats suitable for use. The other 3S packs you have are not suitable.

Thank you for getting back to me, is Amazon a good place to buy from or do you recommend any shops in the UK
I am not familiar with that brand so its a little hard to say. It would probably work but for a few bucks more (at least on the US Amazon site you can get their 120A ESC and that combo should be good on 3S assuming its a decent quality product.
https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Origi...+combo&qid=1626204738&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-1

That Turnigy 5.0 pack you have does the balance plug have 4 wires connected to the plug? If so that is a 3S lipo thats suitable for use. The other 3S packs you have are not suitable.
This may sound stupid so I do apologise but I thought the higher the kv on the motor the car would go, is this not true

dont always have to put things in lipo mode . thats why we have all the extras in this hobby like a battery buzzer plugs right into the balance wire after its charged .. i use 1 in almost all my rcs some can be programed for a lower battery alarm.many are set.. 3$ tool that can save 1's battery,,the 30c batts just wont cut it .put in storage mode save 4 another use

Thank you, and thank you for all the advice and help