Picco 26 maxx re dot running issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this has been mentioned but the air filter setup you are using is not enough for that motor. She needs more air than that filter can provide....At the minimum I would upgrade it to the newer Tmaxx filter setup.

Last edited:
Yeah. Good point.

Get the TMaxx 4907 filter

In my opinion the engine is still being broken in. I'll explain;
I bought T-maxx second hand with knackered 3.3 in it. After researching, I bought the new picco. I put it in and started to break it in following the Traxxas procedure (I'm a complete novice so was doing my best) I'm very limited on Hobby Stores here and the only one around then sold me a couple of plugs. I got hpi power fuel (25% nitro) from them and started the break in procedure on that. All went pretty well, got a couple of tanks of fuel through it. Just general bashing and trying to learn. Got a temp gauge on it, etc.

Then a year passed...

Got the truck back out to play with again. Hobby shop closed but found another. Got the wrong fuel from them (my fault I think) and couldn't get it to run properly at all, hence stated this thread.

Now I have (at least I think) the right fuel I'm trying again.

yes, that short run is just for the video. I've been taking it out back on the road. But the road is quite a steep hill. Would that hamper anything?

I would also try and find some OS LC3 or McCoy MC59 glow plugs for your beast...

Last edited:
I would also try and find some OS LC3 or McCoy MC59 glow plugs for your beast...

Can you explain why? I'm so limited on my supplies (as in walking into a shop) so if I know why I might be able to find an alternative if I can't find this particular plug...

I would use a MC #59 plug for break-in. Lean the LSN so it will idle without loading up. As long as it has a tight pinch there is nothing you can do to make it run great, that will come after the pinch is mainly worn away so there is only a little resistance going over TDC. At that point I would use a MC #8 and my tuning guide to put a performance tune on it.

I've been told about the MC59 before (in this thread) and ordered it from the uk about 2 weeks ago, along with a new OWB. It got lost in the post! Have to wait another week before i can complain! . Anyway, I went t o the place where I got the fuel, the guy there looked up the MC59 spec and gave me what we thought was closest to it. I got this:

261471c9.jpg

Can you explain why? I'm so limited on my supplies (as in walking into a shop) so if I know why I might be able to find an alternative if I can't find this particular plug...

The Picco requires long reach glow plugs. It makes a big difference. I order mine off the net...Either of the two plugs I listed run excellent in the Picco .26 JL...I have a couple nice LHS's close to me but I still have to order particular items(Like these plugs)

Last edited:
I would use a MC #59 plug for break-in. Lean the LSN so it will idle without loading up.

When you say 'loading up' do you mean the clutch engaging?

I have your tuning guide (brill by the way!) but I really don't think this engine is there yet...

When you say 'loading up' do you mean the clutch engaging?

I have your tuning guide (brill by the way!) but I really don't think this engine is there yet...

He means that you are loading up on fuel(to rich)

The Picco requires long reach glow plugs. It makes a big difference. I order mine off the net...Either of the two plugs I listed run excellent in the Picco .26 JL...I have a couple nice LHS's close to me but I still have to order particular items(Like these plugs)

How do you know a 'long reach' plug? Is it how far the bottom of the plug reaches into the chamber? to the top of the piston? Can I measure mine to see if it is a long reach??

That should be ok. 95% of the plugs sold for land based nitro are standard reach, OS is the only one that I know of that has a short plug, the #8 I believe.

Ok. I've gone and tried leaning the LSN and took a vid. Give us sec, just youtubing it!

I should have watched your last vid, there is nothing wrong with that tune other then it may be slightly lean on the LSN. I would get a motor saver air filter for it, any traxxas filter will be too small as they only make small block engines and parts, the picco has a big block displacement regardless if it fits in a tmaxx.

Robin

There seems to be no smoke present on the video clip.

Is this why your saying it's still too lean?

No, they don't make much smoke when they are idling. If you listen close you can hear the rpm drop after the slight throttle inputs, then it starts to creep back up, that's a sign of a lean LSN. It doesn't creep very high but imo it is enough to warrant richening the lsn a touch, 1 maybe 2 hours worth.

Ah, I see.

Even the slight throttling its been given makes mine smoke. Agreed though, it doesn't whilst idling.

Finally! Right sorry about that. Was waiting ages for the vid to upload.

Anyway this was after leaning the LSN probably about 4hrs. Please compare it to the previous vid. This was about an hour ago. I've not run it since. Seems to me it's running better but still not right.

[ame="http://youtu.be/PkiAY1NLY4k"]http://youtu.be/PkiAY1NLY4k[/ame]

Oh, and I guess you're all right about the filter. So I've ordered a motor saver's latest incarnation (4th gen I think) for the T-maxx. here.

So, how am I getting on lads?

Oh and the close up at 1:44 was to show lots of fuel spitting out the exhaust.

Last edited:
I think your too lean on the LSN.

I await for Robin to either agree or disagree, after all. I'm still learning too lol

Put it back to where it was before, it's too lean now. The idle is much too high due to being too lean.