Picco 26 maxx re dot running issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any internal OWB gets soaked in oil, they even come greased from factory. The issue is the roto starter as it will hammer it until it cracks and then starts slipping, put a new owb and pull start on it and the problem probably won't happen again. As for the fuel... see if he will mix you some 5% castor and 5% synthetic MAX, they will probably argue with you but that's what I would run as 18% is just overkill and is best left to the planes. You may be able to get it to run but it will not perform to it's potential with that much oil.

Could this high oil content be the reason the engine is getting bogged down and cutting out?

Could this high oil content be the reason the engine is getting bogged down and cutting out?

Mine was doing the same with the Byrons RTR, the oil content in that was 16% and I had a Traxxas glow plug in. On recommendation from Ofna I swapped to a Hot Glow Plug (as Robin has told you). My bogging/cutting out stopped and I was able to get in run in.

Yes there is a good chance of it.

Lads, i can't thank you enough! I'm getting a great education here.

I was using this when I first started to break in the Picco.
a7b7e573.jpg

I think it was this that the engine worked on. But I don't remember the truck suddenly developing this problem as soon as I went to the other fuel. Or maybe it did...:\

As for the fuel... see if he will mix you some 5% castor and 5% synthetic MAX, they will probably argue with you but that's what I would run

If I get them to mix that should it be with 25% Nitro then? Or 30%? Or what?

Sorry to be so green...

I would go with 40% myself lol, but I recommend 30% for you for sure.

I'm planning on running 0.2mm head shims on the jlr, factory is 0.1. ill be running 30%

Would you recommend 30% for a .26 Max too Robin? Std head shim?
That's the engine I've got (albeit a Red Dot) so if he's recommending for that..

try http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ I don't if there ship over there but.
might be worth a go trying them
Na, just checked. Mainland UK only. It has to be couriered so would not be cost effective anyway.

I would go with 40% myself lol, but I recommend 30% for you for sure.
So, if I go with your recommendation and try and get him to mix 5% castor, 5% synthetic and 30% Nitro then what plug would you recommend to go with that? I've to order a one way bearing from Wheelspin models UK and would like to get a couple of plugs to combine it all for the same shipping. It's so expensive too!

Also, from everything that I've learnt in the last 48hrs isn't 5% castor a little dangerous low for a novice like me?? It seems all the named brand are between 10-15% (or maybe I'm wrong) but I'd go with what you say, you seem to know what you're talking about! Just curious that's all!

5% Castor + 5% Synthetic gives you 10%.

You'll be fine.

As Revo has said, I too was under the impression 30% nitro would require another shim under the head.

I run mine on 30% with stock shims.

Thanks for that.

Does it alter running temps in anyway?

I need a fuel that will be good for my Maxx with .26 Max engine a Maxx with stock 3.3 and an HPI Pulse 4.6 Buggy. Don't want to have to be getting differing fuels if possible.

Right, I've found a supplier! In Ireland!!!

It's a place called radiocontrolshop.ie. Spoke to a nice guy David there. Told him my problem of trying to find fuel suppliers in Dublin. He said,'you didn't look very far!' Anyway, after telling him what I was looking for he said he only has 2 fuels in stock. Cool Power and Rapicon.

He says the Cool Power is the best around and what I need. Anyone heard of it and I was looking at the 30% Nitro stuff they have. The spec is all here Can anyone second that this is what I need?

I'm a little excited that I've found a place!!

Adam

Adam

That fuel is for helicopters. There's too much oil in it. Planes and helicopters need more oil than what cars need.

For me, your search continues.

I would get a Mc coy MC #59 to finish the break-in and then some MC #8's for performance tuning. You will be fine with stock shims with 30% nitro as long as they use good quality products to make it. I have yet to come across a situation where running 30% had a negative effect and I believe the only reason the manufacturer recommends to add a shim is to cover there butt. I looked at that site and chose what looks like the best fuel for your application, it's 30/9 so it should work well.

http://radiocontrolledshop.ie/rapic...uel-30-nitro-petrol-best-nitro-glow-fuel.html

Wey hey! I've finally got my fuel made up!

a952b96f.jpg

b92eb6c9.jpg

It's 30% nitro, 5% castor, 5% synthetic. I'm also waiting on the delivery of a new OWB and a McCoy 59 glow plug.

Hope they come before the weekend so I can finally start learning to break this engine in properly.

I'm gonna try all this with my Traxxas resonator pipe on it first. Then depending on how that goes, I might get a Dynamite 053 pipe as that's what everyone says is the best for this engine.

Can't wait to start this bad boy up now!!!

Ok, gave it a shot today.

Charged all my batteries. Fitted a new glo plug. Filled the tank half way with my new fuel (above).

I've set both HSN and LSN to OFNA's default settings as a base start. OFNA page

Got it fired up and idling and it drove a little up and down the garden barely engaging the clutch. Took it out on the road. I was very gentle on the throttle and it cut out (sorry, no vid). so brought it back in and restarted. It now is a little difficult to start but it does and idles. when I touch the throttle though, it immedietly cuts out.

[ame="http://youtu.be/wocSqXdPBek"]http://youtu.be/wocSqXdPBek[/ame]

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

How many turns have you set your LSN at?

The link you have posted says 7.5.

I think your LSN is too rich, set it to 6.

In your clip you looked to be richening your HSN??? Don't, leave it nearer flush or just proud for now. You also seemed to be turning the needle quite a bit with your screwdriver. You don't need to adjust in such large amounts.

Little at a time.

Thanks for that.

I turned the LSN down to 6 turns out and that seemed to help a treat. Had a little run up the road and back revealed that it won't get out of 1st gear, a little boggy, etc. So I brought it back for a close up tune. But now it's really struggling again. here's the vid:

[ame="http://youtu.be/58qKYRSnIjQ"]http://youtu.be/58qKYRSnIjQ[/ame]

How much have you run the engine in altogether?

If your still running it in you don't really want to be hitting second gear just yet. Second gear is hit due to higher RPMs. You want to be rich to run it in. Leaning the HSN will achieve higher RPMs hence it will then hit second. Unless something else is wrong.

---------- Post added at 5:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:05 PM ----------

Also, you need to be in a more open place and get it running, not just backwards and forwards like that (I think though that was just for the video???) it will just load up at the low RPMs. It does need to be "cleared out" a little.