Painting a buggy body and I’m not sure how to do the wing.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I’m painting a buggy body and I’m not sure how to treat the wing… It’s clear polycarbonate the bottom side is covered with the mask. Should I just leave it clear? I wanted to paint it Tamiya metallic blue but that will need a backer cause it’s pretty translucent when it’s laid down. The primary colors on the main body are metallic blue, bright silver and neon yellow.

Maybe lay down the blue then back it with the silver?

Or blue then silver then white then neon yellow? Will the paint on the top side hold up?

Or just a few coats of the blue and leave it translucent?

So many questions… Hopefully someone can help me pick a direction.

Here’s where I’m at so far. The white stripe is mask and will be neon yellow as well as a yellow border around the windows.
IMG_2190.jpeg

I prefer to keep the wings clear, painted wings tend to chip and flake fairly quick :(

Side note, paint job looks great!

I would consider using a dremel to round out any edges trimmed with scissors to prevent cracking of the body, no 90° cuts to prevent cracking ;)

I prefer to keep the wings clear, painted wings tend to chip and flake fairly quick :(

Side note, paint job looks great!

I would consider using a dremel to round out any edges trimmed with scissors to prevent cracking of the body, no 90° cuts to prevent cracking ;)
Yea I was leaning towards that route. Thanks.

I keep my wings clear.
The only wing I have painted is my mini b one that came pre painted from the factory. The paint is flaking off anyways.

Body looks good!
My B74 body is ok. Theres lots of cracks in it already. Kit included body is very light weight. Looking on getting a JConcepts F2 body, and also to hope to cut it out better.

I keep my wings clear.
The only wing I have painted is my mini b one that came pre painted from the factory. The paint is flaking off anyways.

Body looks good!
My B74 body is ok. Theres lots of cracks in it already. Kit included body is very light weight. Looking on getting a JConcepts F2 body, and also to hope to cut it out better.
The final product turned out pretty good. Like always I had a few spots bleed under the mask, but it is what it is. Car is a DR10 I picked up and quickly realized drag racing isn’t my thing. So I pivoted and got the cheapest set of buggy wheels and tires I could find ($14 for the whole set on Amazon) the RC8 body and an RB10 wing. It all fits quite well. Gonna bring it with me to Pitstop Hobbies on Saturday and run it too. More track time!

IMG_2191.jpeg

I think seeing the wing is nice but paint is indeed problematic so I scotchbrite mine to an even, tranclucent light gray finish. It’s the style Kinwald popularized in the ’90s. I do the bottom and outsides of the sides only.

After rounding all sharp corners of the body, you can run a soldering iron with a discarded tip at mild heat along the edges to further prevent cracks but this is only if you have time to spare for unnecessary tinkering.

After rounding all sharp corners of the body, you can run a soldering iron with a discarded tip at mild heat along the edges to further prevent cracks but this is only if you have time to spare for unnecessary tinkering.

Thanks for this tip, I haven't heard of that trick before!

I have had really good luck with RC Body Armor though where we use CA glue to apply rubber tubing to the leading/trailing edges of the body which are prone to cracking:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/416250593082394

1688741854675.png