An Update on My Body Building and Fear of LiPo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbristv

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
For anyone bored out of their minds waiting for tomorrow to show up or your batteries to finish charging here's something that may help pass the time. 😉

Don't be afraid of lipo batteries, just respect them. Educate yourself on the subject and they will seem far less scary.

I don't recommend using cheap lipos. Zeee lipos seem to perform poorly in comparison to other reputable brands. I would consider SMC, CNHL, Liperior, just to name a few. Lots of threads on here about quality lipos that you should read.

That being said, no lipo is inherently dangerous or safe. It's the user that makes a difference. Proper maintenance means everything. I encourage you to read the many threads on here about that specific subject. I'd also strongly recommend a good quality charger. Cheap chargers will only damage your batteries.

Nice looking fleet of cars you got there. Enjoy and be safe.

Nothing to be afraid of with lipo batteries. You need to know what are safe practices and inspect for damages routinely. I use Zeee batteries, many others too. All mine are mutts from Amazon.. cheaper the better. Chargers is where I think you need to be more careful..cheap chargers will indeed ruin any battery. Possibly even cause a fire. Don't get sucked into TRX or Spektrum overpriced crap though. Their batteries are "okay" (and overpriced by 3x) but their chargers suck..

Don't be afraid of lipo batteries, just respect them. Educate yourself on the subject and they will seem far less scary.

I don't recommend using cheap lipos. Zeee lipos seem to perform poorly in comparison to other reputable brands. I would consider SMC, CNHL, Liperior, just to name a few. Lots of threads on here about quality lipos that you should read.

That being said, no lipo is inherently dangerous or safe. It's the user that makes a difference. Proper maintenance means everything. I encourage you to read the many threads on here about that specific subject. I'd also strongly recommend a good quality charger. Cheap chargers will only damage your batteries.

Nice looking fleet of cars you got there. Enjoy and be safe.
Thanks for this. I have been reading up on lipo batteries leading up to the purchase and while I know if you go cheap at first it could turn you off to some things, I ordered the Zeee batteries for a trial run. I've heard differing opinions on them.

One thing I've learned (in many areas) is that sometimes if you wait a bit, many issues are worked out. Sometimes.

Like why you should never buy the first year model of any car 😉

Anyway, I did a test run with the truggy and the difference in speed was immediately apparent.

When my GPS comes in today I'll do a run using different mah nimh batts and then the lipo and report back.

Same with the Senton and new gearing I ordered 😁
Nothing to be afraid of with lipo batteries. You need to know what are safe practices and inspect for damages routinely. I use Zeee batteries, many others too. All mine are mutts from Amazon.. cheaper the better. Chargers is where I think you need to be more careful..cheap chargers will indeed ruin any battery. Possibly even cause a fire. Don't get sucked into TRX or Spektrum overpriced crap though. Their batteries are "okay" (and overpriced by 3x) but their chargers suck..
Thx bro. I'll look into a better charger if I decide to continue with lipo. Also, I ordered some lo v alarms for the extra, "just in case".
:thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Great vid Bris. Thanks. 'AC'
I really appreciate your taking the time to come here to say this. Thank you!

Don't get me wrong, Zeee's aren't horrible, just lack in output in comparison with some other better brands. I have several pair of Zeee's that have been reliable, balance out well, and have low internal resistance. I have a few pair I've been using for 2 years now and no issues. I also have a few that developed charging issues after a year or so. I think their quality is hit or miss.

Don't get me wrong, Zeee's aren't horrible, just lack in output in comparison with some other better brands. I have several pair of Zeee's that have been reliable, balance out well, and have low internal resistance. I have a few pair I've been using for 2 years now and no issues. I also have a few that developed charging issues after a year or so. I think their quality is hit or miss.
I should have said, I run mostly stock electronics. No power hungry big block setups in my fleet. SMC, Gens and others will surely provide more power if needed. I like keeping things simple and cheap, well as possible anyways,LOL. 😉🍻

Just picked up a LiPo for my TX and hopefully will get the soldering right. Been a while.
I only Cut or strip one wire at a time when soldering connectors to batteries. Less chance of a short. Clean workspace and appropriate tools lined up and ready before hand helps. Good luck. You can do it!😉🤣
BTW, you should see my Flysky GT3b with a 5200mah 3s strapped to the base of it.. what a sight!!🤣🤣🍻

I only Cut or strip one wire at a time when soldering connectors to batteries. Less chance of a short. Clean workspace and appropriate tools lined up and ready before hand helps. Good luck. You can do it!😉🤣
BTW, you should see my Flysky GT3b with a 5200mah 3s strapped to the base of it.. what a sight!!🤣🤣🍻
This definitely helps. I saw a vid of a dude doing it and was just waiting for the explosion! Gladly that didn't happen but I don't need to solder the battery, just the connector from the TX.

Now I'm just curious about the low voltage alarm and don't really want to have to do the relay thing.

The batt I ordered is this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B086YPYQ92?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image so hopefully it'll be straightforward.

This definitely helps. I saw a vid of a dude doing it and was just waiting for the explosion! Gladly that didn't happen but I don't need to solder the battery, just the connector from the TX.

Now I'm just curious about the low voltage alarm and don't really want to have to do the relay thing.

The batt I ordered is this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B086YPYQ92?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image so hopefully it'll be straightforward.
Oh, I interpreted that backwards, LOL. Good thing I wasn't soldering it for ya!😉😂😂
I used to dread soldering.. now I volunteer to solder stuff. It's actually kinda fun! Plus I really dig the fumes!!🤪😛🍻

Oh, I interpreted that backwards, LOL. Good thing I wasn't soldering it for ya!😉😂😂
I used to dread soldering.. now I volunteer to solder stuff. It's actually kinda fun! Plus I really dig the fumes!!🤪😛🍻
Sounds like when I'm ready to party after painting a body. 😁

So I got the battery and soldered the connector (it came with one so I didn't have to go all cannibal on my Bronco light kit) but it's a snug fit into the battery tray.

I removed the tray for the AA batts but the LiPo is a snug fit. It's soft sided and should I be smushing it in there? Help! Pls. Fear returning...

Back