outboard motor help!!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergoff

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a 40hp johnson that won't hold fuel pressure. I have replaced the primer bulb and fuel line to the engine. It was just in the shop to have the choke solenoid replaced it was spraying gas all over. The boat will run and idle but when you engage it in gear it will only run to 1/4 throttle and won't rev anymore. I pull the fuel filter and its dry. So somewhere I'm loosing fuel pressure and I'm stumped. And also I'm on damn vacation and have the minimum for tools but alot of cold beer. :D

Does it have a fuel pump? I know my jet ski has a vacuum ran diaphragm type fuel pump.

If it has a fuel pump that would be my guess too. If no fuel pump and considering that the filter is dry it would seem like it has to be the tank, the connection on the tank or the new fuel line is bad.

There a filter in the tank? Check that. some of the pickups have a screen on them. Could be your problem.

I checked the filter in the tank. Replaced the line to the engine and bypassed the filter and went straight to the fuel pump. With the same results. I called a fishing guide that's a family friend and he told me to call a marina that sponsors him and mention his name they got the boat in and will have it ready by Wednesday. It just sucks not having all of my tools and I should have brought the mervs with me.

Fuel pump would be my first suspect, whether it's vacuum or mechanical a small tear in the diaphragm would have a lot of loss when pumping hard. If I'm correct, the diaphragm also acts as the gasket where the two halves come together. Possible leak there.
I'm pretty sure it's not an electric pump on a 40 horse Johnson.

I looks like its a vacuum fuel pump. I have faith that they can get it fixed so my whole vacation doesn't suck.

Well it cost me $300 to get the carbs cleaned and the synched them also. I learned my lesson that I need to get the boat out on the water a lot earlier next year. Plus the forgot a paddle and some mac wirecutters and pliers in the boat. I would return them but they are 30 minutes away.

At the end of the season, add some Stabil to the fuel and run it for a minute to get it in the carbs. You also need to spray some fogging oil into the intakes while it's running before you store it.

Yeah I do that every season. But the last 2 years I have only had the boat out twice on the water. With work and the Mississippi water levels being all over the place it has sucked. The shop that worked on it was awesome it has never ran this good and it helps when the water test it before you pick it up.

thats typical price to have carbs cleaned. I had my '65 johnson cleaned cause it hasn't been ran in the past 10 years and it cost me $300 too. Its amazing what a little work will do, she idles and runs like it was 1965 again.

If your ever in the Minocqua WI area and need boat work done Arbor Vita marine is amazing. The boat was great for the 1.5 days that I had left on vacation. I want to move up north really bad. The house next to our cabin was for sale. They wanted 3,350,000 for it and they didn't even mow the grass. Wtf if I was to pay that it better be perfect.