Orion Wasp .28, help needed please?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasUK

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi all, i am new to the forum and would first like to say hello!

I need help with my Orion Wasp .28, i have run 6 tanks of fuel through it so far and at top end it's faultless! however i cannot get it to idle and off throttle it tends to load up and die, i have look around for an instruction or manual and have had no joy finding one to reset to factory settings.

all the sites i've looked at so far fail to mention the fourth screw under the high end needle? the engine is not a Picco and is a Orion wasp .28, it has a blue housing and a silver circular symbol on side of it. there are four screws to adjust the carb setting, 1)an idle screw 2)low end screw 3)top end screw 4)fourth screw under the top end screw/tower facing outwards from the carb.

the engine has good compression and works while on throttle perfectly, in a big open area it's fine, but i really want it to be running well across the board.

i bought the engine on ebay, so i have no manual or guide to help me, can anyone either direct me to a manual or offer me helpful advice please?

thank you for taking the time to read my problem. :D

You need to adjust the idle screw on the side of the carb to keep it running than slowly lean out the low end to get it to stop loading up at idle. The LSN is the one on the slide of the carb. As you lean the LSN you will need to turn down the idle.

Lean the lsn an hour at a time until you get a good idle and take off. The carb barrel should have a 1mm gap at idle. The 4th screw you mention is a mid speed adjustment. Don't mess with it.

so leave the 4th screw alone then! oops! lol.:D

to be sure, the idle screw is the one that adjusts how open the carb is when on idle? in which case i have tried adjusting it but had no joy as yet, am gonna try again though on your advice. i did have a 1mm gap on it, but that didn't work so i set the controller to open it wider which then made the car run on until i pulled back on the throttle then it cut out. then it tended not to start too well after each cut out too, which made tweeking it hard work and battery consuming! (for the rota start)

to be sure, the LSN is the screw on the "ball end" attached to the server via the rod? (please note: i'm new to forums so i don't know all the correct terms)

i'm gonna have a pop at it tonight for a few hours and see if i can get her to idle, thank you.

any other suggestions will be taken on board too, from what i've found out just searching on the net the Orion Wasp .28 can be very temperamental, although there are very mixed opinions/reviews about it??

You're correct on the needles. Doesn't sound like you're far off on the settings. Preheating the engine with a hairdryer would help with starting as well.

Thank you both, it worked a charm, she's idling perfectly after only a few tweeks too. Shocking how easy it was too! Sad part is had a bad landing and snapped the steering servo, lol :D