opinions needed for brushless speed setup.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Well I am going to mod my savage XL into a dragster so to speak. From what I have seen the highest speed attained from a savage stock is about 75MPH. To beat that I will need to do a few things, and thanks to llcoolskillet I have a ton of resources at hand. I think on 6s 75 might be about the max on a flux(stock). So I have decided to use an esc capable of 8s.

I am going to use a mamba monster XL as my esc. I was originally thinking of using a TORO 1/5th scale esc, but on Tower hobbies the XL is only $30 more, so I think its worth the $30. Now where I am running into issues is deciding which motor to use. I have been looking at the Leopard 4082 1600kv. its 40x82mm and rated to 8s. There is also the 4092 leopard but its 8s rated motor is 1200kv. These are the only 2 motors I was able to find that fit my application. If anyone knows of any other please let me know.

A Castle 2200kv on 6S actually still puts out about 1000 more RPMs than a 1600kv on 8S. So unless you're going to use some sort of crazy gearing Id probably still look at the 2200kv on 6S as it will be a lot cheaper and the Castle motor will probably hold up better than a Leopard motor. Thats just my initial thoughts on it.

The fastest flux is 79mph and he used a flux 2200kv motor and esc from the HP on 6s paired with an XL 3spd. His phaltlines were tied with fishing line to minimize ballooning.

My flux XL with cd 12/46t does 60mph. I'm sure if I put forth the effort I could go faster.

Remember the bigger the motor the more problems with the drivetrain. I'd stay with the 2200kv for now.

The fastest flux is 79mph and he used a flux 2200kv motor and esc from the HP on 6s paired with an XL 3spd. His phaltlines were tied with fishing line to minimize ballooning.

My flux XL with cd 12/46t does 60mph. I'm sure if I put forth the effort I could go faster.

Remember the bigger the motor the more problems with the drivetrain. I'd stay with the 2200kv for now.

Can you allow an electric to shift through the gears like a nitro or does it have to be locked into a single gear? Everytime I see someone do a revo conversion they always lock the trans.

Yea I was off by a few... only parts I am missing are the motor plate, and a new body. besides those just esc and motor. Plus I am very easy on my rigs when I drive. The only reason I was trying to steer away from the 2200kv was the limits of that motor have already been reached in a savage flux. I really don't want to go 12s, as its just plain out too expensive for me. I am going to try to get a hold of the people at kershaw and ask about the leopard motors, and how they would perform with some crazy gearing on 8s. I will let you know what I find out.

If you lighten up your truck you will have no problem reaching 80 with stock electronics.

The two savage Fluxs I've watched with 3spds still shift but you can barely hear it

Are you converting your truck to the flux tvps, or are you going to drill the 8 holes per side for the battery boxes?

Hell build it for 12s and try to break the 100mph mark.

Haha that would be sick

Are you converting your truck to the flux tvps, or are you going to drill the 8 holes per side for the battery boxes?

I changed everything over to flux tvps. My tucks is heavier than stock. I cannot afford the 6s batteries. I can barely get 2 4s to get to 8s. I will keep on my research until I find what I need. but please no posts about getting a stock 2200kv and esc, that is just not going to happen. There has to be a combination I can use with 8s that will work.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

i checked it out the leaopard 1600kv is only about 1000 rpm slower than the 2200kv castle at 6s. I am sure i can make that up with gearing. I am going to try the leopard.

kershaw design

use kershaw design that allows you to fit two motors on it and get the motors from hobby king, they can handle upto 5s
so if the flux has 2200kv and 6s(2200*6*3.7=48840 rpm) where as the turnigy 2100 with 5s will give (2100*5*3.7=38850 rpm) and multiplied by 2 is 77700 rpm which is mind blowing and will still cost you less than a mamba monster esc/motor since a turnigy motor plus an esc is like 75$
that what i am ganna make:):)

use kershaw design that allows you to fit two motors on it and get the motors from hobby king, they can handle upto 5s
so if the flux has 2200kv and 6s(2200*6*3.7=48840 rpm) where as the turnigy 2100 with 5s will give (2100*5*3.7=38850 rpm) and multiplied by 2 is 77700 rpm which is mind blowing and will still cost you less than a mamba monster esc/motor since a turnigy motor plus an esc is like 75$
that what i am ganna make:):)
It doesn't work like that....when you add a second motor all you double is your torque not the kv/rpms.

Bro, if you can barely afford two 4S packs I highly advise you not to enter the realm of high speed RCs. Every wreck is big bucks. If you do however and your determined to run 8S 1600kv motor you'll need to find some way to get your gearing down as close to 1:1 as you can or even lower if possible in order to get speeds faster than a 2200kv. I had a special adapter CNC'd for my Rusty that allows me to mount spur gears as pinions so I can get lower than a 1:1 gear ratio on it. Now IDK what the current lowest gear ratio is for a savage flux with a 2200kv but you'll have to find out and then figure out a way to go lower.

Heres another idea for a wheel balancer. this one will accomodate any wheel from a 1/10scale on road car to a 40 series MT tire.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUaDjGt-oI8"]RC wheel balancer for all hex sizes - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
actually i sold the savage decided to go racing.. the big bucks dont bother me, It just takes more time to repair things than most. but I sold the savage, and mailed it out today.

I say I have a hard time buying stuff, because I try to always keep a decent back amount of money around.. truth be told I really dont have too many problems dropped a few hundred every few weeks. I just like to tell myself I can't afford stuff so i dont go nuts on a buying spree :)

My nitro savage is running 20/25t gearing mounting a pinion to the tranny shaft is as easy as putting one on the motor lol.

Sad to see you sold it man, what did you get or are investing in now?

I found a local track literally 5 minutes or so from my house, so I bought a associated B4.2 kit built it in about 3-4 hours. brought it to the hobby shop to be soldered, since I don't have steady hands. putting a lrp esc with reedy sonic 17.5. just got 4 sets of mounted barcodes 1 front and 3 back sets. It should be ready to go next week, then I just gotta get some good 2s shorty packs. Also I am muggifying my 2nd lst2, and eventually will be putting a xerun system in there, was thinking of trying 8s on the lst2, just not sure yet.. just playing with the idea atm.

I was considering dropping the XO-1 1717 motor in a Savage Flux. Not sure it will fit though.

I've talked to a guy who posts on Craigslist. He says with mild gearing his revo with the xo-1 motor does 75 with no problem and doesn't even get hot.

That being said my stock flux HP on stock gearing ran 55 MPH and I still had about 1/4 throttle left. The problem was I still couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground and the phaltlines still ballooned. I think the flux HP is capable of more than 79 if I was at 55 with throttle left on stock gearing.

From what I have seen the ESC from the XO1 is just a MMM with a factory installed Cap bank on it. I know CC sells an inline cap bank that looks pretty decent.... I am considering doing it. But the question is do I really need that much power for a basher?

I've talked to a guy who posts on Craigslist. He says with mild gearing his revo with the xo-1 motor does 75 with no problem and doesn't even get hot.

That being said my stock flux HP on stock gearing ran 55 MPH and I still had about 1/4 throttle left. The problem was I still couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground and the phaltlines still ballooned. I think the flux HP is capable of more than 79 if I was at 55 with throttle left on stock gearing.

Yeah I think the XO-1 has the mamba monster system in it. But it's still stupid fast.

Sent from my Pipboy-3000 in the Capital Wasteland.