Delta plastics Shelby Cobra Daytona

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I found this 1/8 +/- scale cobra from Delta plastics.

https://deltaplastikusa.com/product...le-gt-rc-car-body?_pos=1&_sid=8628ec753&_ss=r

And I want to paint it with the chrome paint with a silver stripe. The sorta plan / excuse for this is the big outdoor racetrack runs Saturday night. It’s a big asphalt oval and I want to put this big chrome body on there for visibility and I like the Daytona body.

First problem is mounting the body to a Teckno SCT410.3 chassis.

Second it the big 109mm short corse wheels.

Third is redesigning the suspension to go from outdoor dirt to asphalt oval.

Problem 1
The body.
I am using the giant tires as a guide to line up the wheels. The body is 5mm short and I have to figure out that spacing.

Next is the front body mount. The shock tower puts the shocks way through the hood.
Choice one was cut the hood and put the shocks through and make some new body mounts.
Choice two was to make a lower shock tower and change shocks.
Choice three is a different chassis.
A 2WD chassis would be easier for tire choice.

So I will try the second option first. And lower the shock tower .

I cut out a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum and using the old tower made a template and cut it out and drilled it and filed it to shape.

I pulled a set of Tekno EB410.2 rear shocks and they fit perfectly. I turned the chassis limiters down to lower the whole thing and drilled the body.

It fits
But the tires are all up in the wheels.

So on to problem 2

12mm hex and 85mm wheels from proline or Arrma might fit. But I got to do some more research on what off set and what is available.

I tried a DR10 chassis and having two wheel drive would allow me to change the front tires to a smaller wheel. But with the 4wd I can’t get a different front ratio. So I need to keep the wheel size the same

IMG_5030.jpeg

IMG_5027.jpeg

Last edited:
Always wanted that body but have no chassis for it. Thought hard about printing a 427 cobra.

That’s going to be sick!!!!!

The wheels and tires I have now are 109 mm with 20mm offset. And are to big. If I change to the 17mm hex the wheels are 100 mm and that’s to big.

Wheels for a drift car are 62mm and that’s to small. The 1/10 Arrma Vendetta has 85 mm wheels. But they use a 14 mm hex.
I think I found a solution for the wheels.
I have 12 mm hex with 5 mm axles. The only wheels I can find from Arrma that look like the will fit are 85mm with a 14mm hex. Traxxas sells some adapters to go from 12 to 14 mm.

I gotta take the car to the hobby shop and see if I can find something that will fit.

IMG_5041.jpeg

IMG_5040.jpeg

That’s an awesome body. I just checked out the website. I like the Diablo body. Thought I throw u a few choices that may work for u. Sounds like u might have the mounting figured out. I’ve used Prolines mounting kit a couple times and likes it. Draw back is what I call battle cap body clips. Chrome rims are HPi with HPi tires. 75mm wide. On 12mm nuts. The black rims are a GRP Tyres. On a 17mm. 95mm wide. The clear body and blue body are on a 1/8 buggy. Clear body is the Traxxas Slash Scaple body So I’m guessing a short course truck is about the same. Here’s some pics

IMG_8531.jpeg

IMG_8530.jpeg

IMG_8532.jpeg

IMG_8533.jpeg

IMG_8535.jpeg

IMG_8534.jpeg

There are 12mm to 17mm adapters but they add 6mm width to each side. I have a 2.2 rim with a street tire and Anacondas if you want the widths on them. Let me know if I can help

Last edited:
This took a minute to figure out.
The 85mm wheels from Arrma looked to small. S it was the 100 mm wheels from GRP. I got the GTX04-XM4 slicks.
The they use a 17 hex. But the hex adapters from Hot Racing are for 4mm hubs not 5mm so I had to rethread the bolts. But I think it’s all going to work.
Still need to stiffen up the suspension but I got the wheels under the body and a very powerful motor setup.

Now the paint.

IMG_5076.jpeg

IMG_5077.jpeg

IMG_5075.jpeg

That looks awesome. Can’t wait to see painted. An old school way of limiting shock travel is to put fuel tubing on the shaft inside the the shock body.

I want to race in a very big asphalt oval. I’m going to probably make new shock towers and use a shorter shock which stif springs. Not exactly sure what. I have rear shock from a 1/10 scal EB410.2 . They are the correct length but the springs are bottomed out just sitting still.

Paint is gonna be wild. Might do a weathered race car thing. Still working on it.

Fooling around with the techno body pins I moved the body back just a little and got the body centered on the wheels

I wanted to do a polished aluminum paint scheme with silver stripes. But the chrome will look really bad. All the different thickness and curves show up like paint blotches. So I am going to try the light blue and white stripe. But paint it on the outside and try to weather it to look like an old race car.

IMG_5090.jpeg

IMG_5089.jpeg

IMG_5086.png

Fooling around with the techno body pins I moved the body back just a little and got the body centered on the wheels

I wanted to do a polished aluminum paint scheme with silver stripes. But the chrome will look really bad. All the different thickness and curves show up like paint blotches. So I am going to try the light blue and white stripe. But paint it on the outside and try to weather it to look like an old race car.

View attachment 180512

View attachment 180513

View attachment 180515
Paint it silver on the inside so any chips in the paint look like bare metal. Love the color choice.

That’s is the plan
Chrome the inside. See how it looks.
Out side gets silver and that coat dries. Then in paint it white and add fine salt.
Not corse salt like you would use to simulate rust. But fine salt to simulate road chipped/sandblasted aluminum on the forward panels.
And then after striping I’ll coat the whole thing. With a semi gloss clear . And tint the glass and fine brush other details.

Made a rear shock tower that uses the stock body mount and uses the front shocks at the rear. I really the n this will work.

Tomorrow I’m going to the hobby shop for front springs or shocks.

IMG_5122.jpeg

Found some springs for the front. The back is still not there but it’s good enough to get started.

I found some traxxas springs from a Revo and they come is all sizes.

I drove the rig around on a dead 2s battery. On a hot 3D battery it should be much faster.

Now on to some painting .

IMG_5132.jpeg

I got the inside base chrome coat and as expected it looks kinda cool. But the finish is really bad when you look at it.
I am going to paint it blue and paint the stripes and weather it . But I wanted to see it in chrome and make the silver a base for when the paint gets scraped off in a race.

IMG_5135.jpeg

IMG_5136.jpeg

Could have painted it blue, scuffed it then your chrome. I paint my truck beds black then use various objects from thin to thick tips and scrape it to repaint like a bed would be worn. That just me.

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Back