Old hpi nitro mt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rreed78

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I have an hpi nitro mt the engine is seized up on it. Any ideas on what engines I can use to replace the old engine on it

Is it the original mt or mt2 or 18ss ?

Youll need a small block with rotary type carb i wouldn't advise any traxxas trx as it is very involved and not a direct swap in. Does yours have purple cooling head or gray square one if still the FE .15 it came with new?

Youll need a small block with rotary type carb i wouldn't advise any traxxas trx as it is very involved and not a direct swap in. Does yours have purple cooling head or gray square one if still the FE .15 it came with new?
It's they Gray square one the FE.15 it came with

It's they Gray square one the FE.15 it came with
Keep that engine youll need to swap the clutch setup and flywheel to your new engine if it is compatible. Cheap but decent engine that should be drop in and accept clutch setup and flywheel of old engine also. Vx-18

Even cheaper but not much power vx-16

Depends on what your willing to spend to have more options suggestions

Keep that engine youll need to swap the clutch setup and flywheel to your new engine if it is compatible. Cheap but decent engine that should be drop in and accept clutch setup and flywheel of old engine also. Vx-18

Even cheaper but not much power vx-16

Depends on what your willing to spend to have more options suggestions
Ok thanks what engine would you go with I don't want one that has no power

Ok thanks what engine would you go with I don't want one that has no power
Me? Well i am not sure not a big 10th scale small block guy...

Hot bodies .26 w hpi purple head from a savage but that takes alot to make work in that space project for sure.

Id get a new t3.0 on ebay pulled from a new car

I have converted one of my car from a rotary carb to a barrel carb. Please see picture attached. Your milage varied.

Attachments

• IMG_20220227_161157_934.jpg
    IMG_20220227_161157_934.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 34
Just didn't want to over complicate it if not informed

The NMT either requires a specific type of engine that HPI uses that has 3 screw mounts on the bottom of the crank case, or you have to find engine mounts for it. Might be tough to find them these days. I had that truck many years ago and I put an OS 18-CVR in it. Was a decent upgrade over the purple head FE it came with.

These are what I used:
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/a863

This says it's compatible with that and shows as a replacement part to the pull-start "heat sink" mount A915:
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86045

Not sure if you can find any one of those 3 these days though.