oil in differentials

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NooP

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I stripped out the gears in my read differential this last weekend. So instead of just buying new gears, I tried filling my diff up with JB weld hoping I would get some posi in the read end. It worked for a little while but I ended up at the hobby store anyways. and instead of spending 15 dollars on just the gears, I spend 40 for everything else I ruined fill that thing up with jb weld.

Neways, when I bought all the stuff I needed, I also got some oil for my diff. The dude at my lhs asked me what weight I wanted. So I asked him, whats the difference. So he said, the thicker the oil the less the gears would move around. So I said, I like to whip the back end around alot so give me the thickest one you got. So he gave me som 120,000 weight oil. Sure enough, its just like having a posi back there. Whips around like crazy.

Now heres my question.

What weight should I run in the middle and in the front? I want to make sure I got some fresh oil in there to keep the gears healthy. I was thinking I should run the 120 in the middle and get some lighter oil for the front.

are there any other pros and cons to lighter or thicker oils?

Also, I was looking at some upgraded diffs and they are going for about 120+ on tower hobbies for some torsen diffs. Do those diffs really help out a lot? I dont think its really worth it for me, cuz I just bash around, but you never know. I might win the lottery tomorrow and order a set.

What advantages do you get from those high dollar diffs?

--NooP

I personally prefer heavier in trhe front because it will pull you through a corner faster than the rear pushing you through the corner. I like about 70K in the front, 100K in the center and 30K in the rear.

do you find it harder to turn at all with that weight in the front?

--NooP

WOW.. i dont know.. here is what i run in my car.. 3k in the front.. 7K in the center.. and 1k in the rear.. seems to be the same setup as alot of the pro drivers.. i dont see how having your diffs locked will do anything for you.. when i turn a corner.. i brake.. turn.. and the rear follows..

Back