Differential oil on a rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justME1179

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I've got a brushless Traxxas rustler, and the diff slips so bad drives me crazy. I would like it to work more like an X-Max or if it gets up on two wheels it'll still drive. What weight oils do y'all recommend?

Is this a 4x4 or 2wd? If it's a 2wd, lock washer mod may be the best as the diff leaks. I think hot racing has one.

2WD correct?

Did you upgrade to a sealed diff? I believe the stock diff is not sealed.

If you have a sealed diff then anywhere between 2K to 5K is your "tuning window" with the following behavior within that range, only look at the rear option in the chart below where I would start with 3K.

If 4WD then I would start with 7K Front, 7K Center and 3K rear with the following ranges:

Front between 5K - 20K
Center between 5K -100K
Rear between 2K to 5K

*** If you go outside this recommended tuning window then chances are you need to make other changes to your setup instead where tires are the very first thing to tune before anything else :)

FWIW, you'll never get a 1/10 platform to handle like a 1/6, just not gonna happen with completely different geometry, weight, etc :(
That's like asking for a Ford to handle like a Ferrari... take the bait?

1678150642923.png

Last edited:
Is this a 4x4 or 2wd? If it's a 2wd, lock washer mod may be the best as the diff leaks. I think hot racing has one.
It's the 4x4. The hobby shop in town said put 30 in and it did nothing to the rear...

2WD correct?

Did you upgrade to a sealed diff? I believe the stock diff is not sealed.

If you have a sealed diff then anywhere between 2K to 5K is your "tuning window" with the following behavior within that range, only look at the rear option in the chart below where I would start with 3K.

If 4WD then I would start with 7K Front, 7K Center and 3K rear with the following ranges:

Front between 5K - 20K
Center between 5K -100K
Rear between 2K to 5K

*** If you go outside this recommended tuning window then chances are you need to make other changes to your setup instead where tires are the very first thing to tune before anything else :)

FWIW, you'll never get a 1/10 platform to handle like a 1/6, just not gonna happen with completely different geometry, weight, etc :(
That's like asking for a Ford to handle like a Ferrari... take the bait?

View attachment 161382
But Ford beat Ferrari! I saw the movie! :hehe:

It's the 4x4. The hobby shop in town said put 30 in and it did nothing to the rear...
I believe that rustler 4x4 doesn't have center diff. It has slipper clutch that has to be properly adjusted

But Ford beat Ferrari! I saw the movie! :hehe:

Sadly, Ken Miles would die in his Ford due to a mechanical failure which questions the handling capability if their design :(

Ford beat Ferrari because they were able to design a faster motor on the straights, but Ferrari had better handling in the corners, neither car handles "the same" which was the direction I was headed with my thought.

Back