Traxxas maxx 4s center diff

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phuker

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 4s traxxas max that I have just blown the center differential on. I'm wandering, has anyone tried to "lock" the diff with somthing like JB weld? 😂 if so what was the outcome? Is it a good way to say good bye to the rest of the vehicle? I've found another stock center diff for around 20 GBP which is all good, but don't fancy spending almost 80 GBP on a locked steel center diff "tight ass here" haha 😂

TIA all comments welcome as I'm just after some stories or advice

Welcome phuker! 🤣🤣😆

Theoretically, if it spins the easier side, once locked it will wheelie more and may have a higher chance of breakage since it can't unload to the opposite of the strained side so to speak. If you do, make sure the output is straight so your driveline is smooth and the gears mate correctly.

For handling and racing most don't do locked.

This is based on the cars I own, the maxx is not one.

Welcome phuker! 🤣🤣😆

Theoretically, if it spins the easier side, once locked it will wheelie more and may have a higher chance of breakage since it can't unload to the opposite of the strained side so to speak. If you do, make sure the output is straight so your driveline is smooth and the gears mate correctly.

For handling and racing most don't do locked.

This is based on the cars I own, the maxx is not one.
Hi thanks for the comment, I'll only be running it on RWD as the central diff has very slightly bent the spline connector for the drive shaft to the front differential. So until I get new parts to put in that's how it will be haha, so throwing all the power Into the rear wheels I guess is going to put alot more strain on the shafts that sends the power from the rear diff to the wheels. I'm guessing I will still have limited slip on the rear diff as I'm not locking that up, just the central diff that sends power to ether the front or rear diff. I don't race my car I just take it down to the field and have a bash while my kids play on the park that's there, entertain a few dogs that like to chase it around aswell haha, the dog owners are more than happy with it as it gives their pups some good exercise and very little risk to them getting hurt as the car goes faster than most of the dogs that are there so I can keep a safe distance between them.

Thanks for your input! 👍

Silicone ear plugs won’t lock it totally. But, will lock it up in all but needed slip situations.

Uh have I seriously just found out that my maxx has a center diff after ~3 years of ownership😂

Silicone ear plugs won’t lock it totally. But, will lock it up in all but needed slip situations.
I didnt know that, thanks! But my situation isn't going to allow somthing as simple as that I don't think, as 2 of the 4 screws that hold the diff together wont hold tight cos the Inside and outside of my center diff has been chewed up and melted. I had to force the center diff out as it had melted itself to the inside of the center diff casing and stuck itself there 😂 I was giving the car a good ole' bash across the field, flipped it 3 or 4 times before it stopped upside down and wouldnt turn the wheels anymore 🤪
I've cleaned it all up so there is clearance again now and I'll order new parts to replace anything that was damaged.

Thanks for your input!
Uh have I seriously just found out that my maxx has a center diff after ~3 years of ownership😂
I've heard that the center diff is a common problem with the maxx range, you must be one of the lucky ones 😁

In rwd your rear ring and pinion and driveshafts may wear quicker. By all means have fun. All my 4wd trucks are driven as rwd stleast once. My axial 10.2 is all rear wheel for me. 😁😆

In rwd your rear ring and pinion and driveshafts may wear quicker. By all means have fun. All my 4wd trucks are driven as rwd stleast once. My axial 10.2 is all rear wheel for me. 😁😆
From what I've seen while pulling it all apart last night my gears etc are all metal, I still don't doubt they will slip at some point with the power this thing delivers but hopefully it will hold out until new parts arrive 😂

20230903_155852.jpg
so I locked the center diff, this was the result after 5 mins of bashing round my garden 😂 think I may need to change to metal shafts haha

Hi, I have a 4s traxxas max that I have just blown the center differential on. I'm wandering, has anyone tried to "lock" the diff with somthing like JB weld? 😂 if so what was the outcome? Is it a good way to say good bye to the rest of the vehicle? I've found another stock center diff for around 20 GBP which is all good, but don't fancy spending almost 80 GBP on a locked steel center diff "tight ass here" haha 😂

TIA all comments welcome as I'm just after some stories or advice
What exactly did you "blow" in your center diff? You do know they have replacement parts so you can rebuild it, don't you?

Back