Ofna 1/8th Identify help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Its an OFNA Ultra MBX. Engine barely looks used
yes, no marks inside, no wear either. I got the needle valve and banjo fitting cleaned up, it was blocked. Now just have to find the factory needle settings.
You wouldn't happen to know the factory settings for the Force 21 w/ high and low needles, slide carb would you? I had to take them out.
The carb is in the pics.
I assume the low speed should be flush with the barrel like most engines, correct? or is it strictly by turns out?

LOL The previous owner didn't know how to install the clutch shoe springs.
Flywheel and clutch were all jacked up.
I had to move the clutch bell away a tiny bit, when the spring tension nut (Whatever it's called) was bottomed out on the flywheel had about 1/2mm play and rotated around loosely from the crankshaft. It's like that spring retention thing (Sorry I don't know what it's called) bottomed out before tightening against the flywheel.
Anyways, I used a washer to make up the space, if you look close at the clutch bell you will see some of the shoes. I ordered a new clutch kit, but this will work for now. "I hope" LOL I'm used to straight flex cable and collets. Our nitro boats don't usually have clutches.
DSCN6422.JPG
DSCN6423.JPG
I guess that fiber sticking out of the high-speed needle will only help it idle smooth. LOL

I am not sure on those older carbs ,but that Mid range needle is way too far out ,where
it is at will flood the engine ,that one there should be flush with the inner lip where it
is beveled at on the inside edge ,may start the other needles at flush!

I just threw it together to make sure they are unclogged and take the pictures. The buggy isn't set up to run just yet I have a lot of work to get it running. Radio and a spring for the fuel tank lid.
The radio is an old Futaba CH82, so I'm just going to get a budget Spektrum radio.
Oh yeah, the inside edge of the beveled edge thanks. I forgot about that and thought it was flush but yes, your right thanks!

It only has two needles. Low and high speed. I had carbs that had 3 needles, low, mid-range, and high-speed needles but this one only has two.
It's a slider carb, pic shows the servo arm side. is there another adjustment I am not seeing perhaps?
I never used these slide carbs before. So, I don't know.

Tomorrow I'll set up the alignment.
RSCN6428.JPG

DSCN6430.JPG

I just threw it together to make sure they are unclogged and take the pictures. The buggy isn't set up to run just yet I have a lot of work to get it running. Radio and a spring for the fuel tank lid.
The radio is an old Futaba CH82, so I'm just going to get a budget Spektrum radio.
Oh yeah, the inside edge of the beveled edge thanks. I forgot about that and thought it was flush but yes, your right thanks!

It only has two needles. Low and high speed. I had carbs that had 3 needles, low, mid-range, and high-speed needles but this one only has two.
It's a slider carb, pic shows the servo arm side. is there another adjustment I am not seeing perhaps?
I never used these slide carbs before. So, I don't know.

Tomorrow I'll set up the alignment.
View attachment 154625
View attachment 154626
If you are looking for a radio and receiver, check out https://jennysrc.com/search?type=product&q=radio They have a bunch of cheap radio and receiver sets, some for under $30.

Disclaimer: I know literally nothing about nitro stuff, so i have no clue how many channels you need, or any of that.

If you are looking for a radio and receiver, check out https://jennysrc.com/search?type=product&q=radio They have a bunch of cheap radio and receiver sets, some for under $30.

Disclaimer: I know literally nothing about nitro stuff, so i have no clue how many channels you need, or any of that.
I'll look into it. I just realized that it came with a Futaba T3PRKA 3 channel 2.4ghz, FHSS radio, so I am going to make a RX pack and check it out.
It also came with the CH83 T2PM, heck if both radios work, I should be good.
The Ace hardware near me has those plastic 4 cell cages so I just have to go get one.

I was looking at spektrum 2ch radios, pretty cheap nowadays. I have seen jennysrc before but never been to the site. Thanks. I don't have much money, so I have to pinch pennies. But the radio is the most important item, so not to kill someone with it. I trust Futaba radios and Spektrums. I like that the 2.4ghz Futaba has end point adjustment. I wonder if it has fail safe though.

I'll look into it. I just realized that it came with a Futaba T3PRKA 3 channel 2.4ghz, FHSS radio, so I am going to make a RX pack and check it out.
It also came with the CH83 T2PM, heck if both radios work, I should be good.
The Ace hardware near me has those plastic 4 cell cages so I just have to go get one.

I was looking at spektrum 2ch radios, pretty cheap nowadays. I have seen jennysrc before but never been to the site. Thanks. I don't have much money, so I have to pinch pennies. But the radio is the most important item, so not to kill someone with it. I trust Futaba radios and Spektrums. I like that the 2.4ghz Futaba has end point adjustment. I wonder if it has fail safe though.

Jenny's is a great store ,they been in business for over 10 years that I know of an use to buy from them back
in the day!..:thumbs-up::cool:

You might check out the Flysky GT3B. It has a 10 model memory and is a great budget radio for like $45. The receivers are cheap for it too.

Jenny's is a great store ,they been in business for over 10 years that I know of an use to buy from them back
in the day!..:thumbs-up::cool:
That's Great! I'm at my wits end with eBay, everything is from China or overseas. It's like it's impossible to buy anything in USA anymore. Tower hobbies don't have the stuff they used to have. It's like every thing is kit specific. Tomorrow I'm going to a hobby shop down near Dayton, they have a bunch of random stuff to cobble together.
I was looking for 1/8 17mm wheels and on eBay it was all junk. It's most likely me being a boat guy that I simply don't know where to source 1/8th nitro stuff for cars...yet.
The dude I got it from gave me a sealed bottle of VP FUEL but it's only 20% nitro, I religiously use Red Max 40% but I understand VP Fuel is very good fuel.
Red Max is very sensitive to needle valve settings. Pain in the rear to be honest.

I didn't see a front sway bar so I have to find one.
You might check out the Flysky GT3B. It has a 10 model memory and is a great budget radio for like $45. The receivers are cheap for it too.
I put batteries in the 2.4ghz Futaba that came with it (3Ch, awesome fail safe) and it works flawlessly, this radio is still being sold today. Although really flimsy feeling.
I did put a Traxxas 2075 metal gear servo for steering, 5 cell recharge battery for the RX, and put the RX in a balloon. Eventually I'll get a Traxxas 2056 standard servo for the throttle.
The rig is coming along great, setting up the suspension now. It was really out of whack.

I was thinking about the Gool (Spektrum clone). But in the end the Futaba works great. Cheap flimsy TX but it works.

That's Great! I'm at my wits end with eBay, everything is from China or overseas. It's like it's impossible to buy anything in USA anymore. Tower hobbies don't have the stuff they used to have. It's like every thing is kit specific. Tomorrow I'm going to a hobby shop down near Dayton, they have a bunch of random stuff to cobble together.
I was looking for 1/8 17mm wheels and on eBay it was all junk. It's most likely me being a boat guy that I simply don't know where to source 1/8th nitro stuff for cars...yet.
The dude I got it from gave me a sealed bottle of VP FUEL but it's only 20% nitro, I religiously use Red Max 40% but I understand VP Fuel is very good fuel.
Red Max is very sensitive to needle valve settings. Pain in the rear to be honest.

I put batteries in the 2.4ghz Futaba that came with it (3Ch, awesome fail safe) and it works flawlessly, this radio is still being sold today. Although really flimsy feeling.
I did put a Traxxas 2075 metal gear servo for steering, 5 cell recharge battery for the RX, and put the RX in a balloon. Eventually I'll get a Traxxas 2056 standard servo for the throttle.
The rig is coming along great, setting up the suspension now. It was really out of whack.

I was thinking about the Gool (Spektrum clone). But in the end the Futaba works great. Cheap flimsy TX but it works.
I would steer clear of Traxxas servos. As far as servos go... they are hovering right at the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. And anything GoolRC... do not buy. It is the bottom of the barrel garbage.

But if you just have to have Traxxas servos... look at jennysrc.com. they sell them in bulk sometimes because they are so shite, nobody buys them, and Jenny's ends up with a huge overstock of them from tearing down kits.

I've had these for 3 years https://www.ebay.com/itm/3137524182...qwkwbqruXjbcldWejfd//TOy25|tkp:Bk9SR8ih1_iAYQ the foams are pretty much gone now but they have held up really well even on 6s.

I would steer clear of Traxxas servos. As far as servos go... they are hovering right at the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. And anything GoolRC... do not buy. It is the bottom of the barrel garbage.

But if you just have to have Traxxas servos... look at jennysrc.com. they sell them in bulk sometimes because they are so shite, nobody buys them, and Jenny's ends up with a huge overstock of them from tearing down kits.
I been in the hobby 40 years never once have I said anything was low quality (Everything has its purpose). I used Traxxas servos for a very long time. Before Traxxas I used Hitech 140 oz BB servos and the S3003 without an issue.
Sure, the 2075x is not a powerful servo but they are very high quality and precise, ball bearing metal gear servos.
And I do not like Traxxas but I do like their servos.
I also don't like high dollar radios that have all the bells and whistles, I like setting up my servos old school style. So, I use the el-cheapo Spektrum radios.

Like I mentioned, everything has a purpose. This car is being set up for long oval highspeed tracks, the slower transit time of the Traxxas servo vs higher power faster servos only make navigating wide turns very uneventful and graceful vs spinning out from a too fast servo.
Quality? I never broke one, I never stripped one for that matter. I never broke a servo in my life, and I hit a lot of stuff before.
Quality is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Example)
I just bought a Reedy 25KG servo for a crawler I have that uses a Spektrum SLT3 radio (I love that cheap radio). I replaced the Traxxas 2075x as I figured might as well have some extra power to navigate the rocks, and sure enough "Glitching".
The crawler never glitched with the Traxxas servo, but it does with the Reedy 25kg servo. I even reinstalled the 2075X to make sure.
In order to run the Reedy 25kg servo, I had to put resisters on the motor (Like it was 1987) to make the glitching stop.
LOL Not much quality in that Reedy servo, now is there. LOL But, I would never tell someone I think its junk because it's not, it just didn't fit my needs, to each his/her own.

I would say the Traxxas has better quality than the Reedy I just bought as the Traxxas wasn't fazed by the electric noise from the motor and was able to ignore the receivers glitching signals. (Yes, I know glitching is electric motor noise picked up by the RX and sent to the servos) Traxxas servos are able to ignore those bad signals, where a twice the cost servo couldn't. I don't know how Traxxas servos can do that, but they can.
I do hate Traxxas radios though, but would I say they are low quality, no. If that's what someone has, that's what they have, maybe they're using it for a reason

Gool RC yeah, I figured it wouldn't have much range to it and I am sure the RX isn't splash proof like the real Spektrum's are.
Ahhhh Man thanks, save in my ebay.
I did have a problem with the clutch on this buggy.
the collet (I guess nitro car guys call it the corn) and the flywheel slipping. The end of the crank that screws onto the crank against the flywheel wouldn't tighten up against the flywheel and there was some play like a half a mm of space between the corn and flywheel (The corn was worn out) I guess.
The other day, I put a washer between the end crank thing and the flywheel, that moved the clutch bell away some. I had about half a mm of clutch shoes exposed due to the fix.
I took it all apart again today and moved the washer behind the corn and put the flywheel back on as normal. Now the clutch bell fits perfectly.

I ordered a new clutch set but want to test the buggy out. Might not have to replace anything now, putting that washer behind the corn, allowed the corn to find tighter cone of the flywheel and may just work for a long time now.

Last edited:
I been in the hobby 40 years never once have I said anything was low quality (Everything has its purpose). I used Traxxas servos for a very long time. Before Traxxas I used Hitech 140 oz BB servos and the S3003 without an issue.
Sure, the 2075x is not a powerful servo but they are very high quality and precise, ball bearing metal gear servos.
I also don't like high dollar radios that have all the bells and whistles, I like setting up my servos old school style. So, I use the el-cheapo Spektrum radios.

Like I mentioned, everything has a purpose. This car is being set up for long oval highspeed tracks, the slower transit time of the Traxxas servo vs higher power faster servos only make navigating wide turns very uneventful and graceful vs spinning out from a too fast servo.
Quality? I never broke one, I never stripped one for that matter. I never broke a servo in my life, and I hit a lot of stuff before.

Example)
I just bought a Reedy 25KG servo for a crawler I have that uses a Spektrum SLT3 radio (I love that cheap radio). I replaced the Traxxas 2075x as I figured might as well have some extra power to navigate the rocks, and sure enough "Glitching".
The crawler never glitched with the Traxxas servo, but it does with the Reedy 25kg servo. I even reinstalled the 2075X to make sure.
In order to run the Reedy 25kg servo, I had to put resisters on the motor (Like it was 1987) to make the glitching stop.
LOL Not much quality in that Reedy servo, now is there. LOL But, I would never tell someone I think its junk because it's not, it just didn't fit my needs, to each his/her own.

I would say the Traxxas has better quality than the Reedy I just bought as the Traxxas wasn't fazed by the electric noise from the motor and was able to ignore the receivers glitching signals. (Yes, I know glitching is electric motor noise picked up by the RX and sent to the servos) Traxxas servos are able to ignore those bad signals, where a twice the cost servo couldn't. I don't know how Traxxas servos can do that, but they can.
I do hate Traxxas radios though, but would I say they are low quality, no. If that's what someone has, that's what they have, maybe they're using it for a reason

Gool RC yeah, I figured it wouldn't have much range to it and I am sure the RX isn't splash proof like the real Spektrum's are.

the collet (I guess nitro car guys call it the corn) and the flywheel slipping. The end of the crank that screws onto the crank against the flywheel wouldn't tighten up against the flywheel and there was some play like a half a mm of space between the corn and flywheel (The corn was worn out) I guess.
The other day, I put a washer between the end crank thing and the flywheel, that moved the clutch bell away some. I had about half a mm of clutch shoes exposed due to the fix.
I took it all apart again today and moved the washer behind the corn and put the flywheel back on as normal. Now the clutch bell fits perfectly.

I ordered a new clutch set but want to test the buggy out. Might not have to replace anything now, putting that washer behind the corn, allowed the corn to find tighter cone of the flywheel and may just work for a long time now.
The 2075X is by far one of the worst servos you can get lol. Especially considering how much it costs. Stick around awhile here and you will see.

Oh, and I have been in the hobby going on 40 years as well. Actually longer than that if you consider my dad was into it a few years before me, and I spent every minute by his side while he built and flew his airplanes.

Last edited:

Example)

Just my $.02 on servos, but, i typically use these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953298192...8ZPCcBPrbS2t8uk6R|tkp:Bk9SR-rq2YeBYQ&LH_BIN=1 They are cheap, waterproof, come in multiple sizes (20, 25, 30, 35KG for example), and seem to be extremely durable. I have no clue how they would hold up for racing though.

Just because you like to stick your head in the sand when it comes to quality or technology doesn't mean theres no such thing as good quality and shite quality electronics. Do people use shite quality components? Sure if its the only thing you can afford but if money is the issue then Why buy a 2075X for $60 when you can get a similarly spec'd waterproof metal geared Savox servo for $45? Not only is the Savox cheaper but its actually better quality too. No one is trying to shame you buy saying that they are crappy quality. Were trying to help you. Go through the forums and look for all the threads that talk about the 2075 giving up the ghost before its time. Trust us when we tell you theres a theme to it. Or dont trust us and just go look for yourself. I actually find it a bit amusing that you hate Traxxas but you like their servos. Popular opinion would have that the other way around. Not that you arent entitled to your own opinion I suppose.

I also don't like high dollar radios that have all the bells and whistles, I like setting up my servos old school style. So, I use the el-cheapo Spektrum radios. Like I mentioned, everything has a purpose. This car is being set up for long oval highspeed tracks, the slower transit time of the Traxxas servo vs higher power faster servos only make navigating wide turns very uneventful and graceful vs spinning out from a too fast servo.
I'm not sure what the old school way of setting up a steering servo is but setting end point adjustments on a radio is easy peasey and you dont need an expensive radio to get those features. A Flysky GT3b costs about half of what the Spektrum STL3 radio costs and the RXs are about $7-$10 ea. It not only has EPA but it also has Dual Rate controls which would allow you to spend $9 more than a 2075X and buy a Savox that has 345oz/in torque and .12 Speed and control it as if it was a slower servo. Then if you ever repurpose the servo then your not limited by the slower, weaker specs of the 2075x. In addition to EPA, D/R, digital trims etc, you also get 10 model memory so you can use on TX for up to 10 different kits. Or, if you're good with spending the $80 buy a RadioLink radio which is the same price as the spektrum and get even more model memory and features. I can understand foregoing some features to save money but when you can have higher quality and/or more feature for the same money or less it doesn't make sense to skip the extras. Now I get that old heads are resistant to change and learning new things. I'm getting more and more like that the older I get too but there comes a point when it doesn't make sense anymore.

Do you use this same logic when buying a 1:1 car or a firearm? There are definitely car makes and models that are more prone to having issues than others and Lord knows I wouldnt want to trust my life to some 3rd rate firearm manufacturer like Hi-Point when I could have a Glock-17 or a Swith & Wesson M&P9. Just trying to illustrate that its a bit outlandish to say quality is completely subjective. I could see some amount of subjectivity when comparing two items of roughly the same quality like comparing say a Glock-17 vs a S&W M&P9 but when you compare a hi-point 9mm against either the Glock or the S&W there is clearly a winner and a loser. Does the loser still serve a purpose? Sure, for people on a tight budget but if you could have a Glock-17 for the price of a hi-point 9mm then why buy a hi-point?

Example)

Any servo regardless of quality can glitch out. Servo glitching is generally caused by interference with the PWM (S+) signal. Not all PWM signals are the same. They vary a bit from circuit to circuit. Assuming you arent using any older analog equipment (Thats a different cause with a different fix) then you can usually fix this issue with a ferrite core. The FC will change the impedance of the wire and slightly alter the PWM signal enough that common mode rejection (CMRR) is increased thereby eliminating the glitching. You could also use a bypass capacitor also but the FC is the cheaper and easier solution. So no, your Traxxas servo isnt better because it can "ignore" the noise, it just simply uses a little bit different frequency of PWM waveform.

So what you're saying is that a GoolRC radio is lower quality than Spektrum... 🤔

I'm OG an only dealt with the old analog servo's an when I quit messing with RC's for a long period
an got back into it I discovered a lot has changed from that time ,so when I got back in ,I needed
to upgrade to a newer platform an all the other components as well!
If I am going to run a $ 700 racing kit ,you bet your ass that I am going to use quality servo's that
I can trust!..:thumbs-up::cool:
Although ,I still run the old servo's in my old MT's & cars!..:hehe:

Yes and no, Hong Nor and Hobao are 2 completely different companies that made cars for Ofna. Now as far as what cars were made by who I do not know.
+1

OFNA was a distributor, they also distributed for HPI, Schumacher, Nanda, Active Hobby, ABC and many other brands...

You can get HoBao parts here:
https://www.hobao-usa.com/

Hong Nor had retired a few years back, but was recently bought out and will be starting with a new USA distributor soon:
https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1108139-x3s-evo-e-kit-hong-nor.html

Parts are currently available here for both HongNor and HoBao (plus many other brands):
https://www.rc-willpower.com/

+1

OFNA was a distributor, they also distributed for HPI, Schumacher, Nanda, Active Hobby, ABC and many other brands...

Hong Nor had retired a few years back, but was recently bought out and will be starting with a new USA distributor soon:
https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1108139-x3s-evo-e-kit-hong-nor.html

Parts are currently available here for both HongNor and HoBao (plus many other brands):
I can never seem to get links to rctech to work for me. They are always broken.

But I really liked the look of the Hong Nor nitro and electric ready to run truggy they released a few years back well they called them monster trucks but they had wings and truggy bodies.

+1

If OFNA was just the distributor, do you have any clue who the manufacturer was for Team C and Racers Edge? OFNA, Racers Edge, and Team C were all clones of each other, and i was always under the impression they were built by OFNA, and cloned by Team C and Racers Edge.

If OFNA was just the distributor, do you have any clue who the manufacturer was for Team C and Racers Edge? OFNA, Racers Edge, and Team C were all clones of each other, and i was always under the impression they were built by OFNA, and cloned by Team C and Racers Edge.
From what I understand Team C manufacturers their own stuff. I believe they started out manufacturing other companies kits and eventually used that knowledge to start making their own. I'm almost positive they make stuff for Ansmann, I'm not sure who else.

No clue on racers edge.

From what I understand Team C manufacturers their own stuff. I believe they started out manufacturing other companies kits and eventually used that knowledge to start making their own. I'm almost positive they make stuff for Ansmann, I'm not sure who else.

No clue on racers edge.
+1

TeamC was the OEM and RacersEdge was a rebrand from TeamC just like OFNA had rebranded HongNor and HoBao kits to have OFNA labeling on the box which was VERY confusing... currently the IGT8 is a rebrand of HongNor as well so that concept hasn't gone away.