Ofna 1/8th Identify help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnskevin58

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
hello all, I am getting ready to trade a for this Ofna but don't know what model it is.
Can anyone identify it. It has the FC engine 3.5cc

I know Ofna is no longer but I usually don't damage suspensions and what not so I should be good, not to mention it's in awesome shape. I would like to know the model "Ofna Ultra ????" I have found some Ultra MBX's but not with this Fc engine.
Wanting to know the exact model so I can find another one in roller form for spare parts just in case.

I assume bottom of the barrel but for me it's all I need to kick around with.

Thanks in advance
277687857_8045269682165679_2684790345825815421_n.jpg

277113749_4957239130991542_4483567412331396058_n.jpg

Last edited:
hello all, I am getting ready to trade a for this Ofna but don't know what model it is.
Can anyone identify it. It has the FC engine 3.5cc

I know Ofna is no longer but I usually don't damage suspensions and what not so I should be good, not to mention it's in awesome shape. I would like to know the model "Ofna Ultra ????" I have found some Ultra MBX's but not with this Fc engine.
Wanting to know the exact model so I can find another one in roller form for spare parts just in case.

I assume bottom of the barrel but for me it's all I need to kick around with.

Thanks in advance
View attachment 154594
View attachment 154595

Maybe an LX model ,I dont really know the difference in each model ,but that one has the pillow ball
steering an the Force 21 engine!
Hobao may interchange on some parts if needed ,not sure ,if needed ,an I have some new in a pkg
set of front A-arms but not sure if they are for C-hubs or pillow ball type steering ,nice find!.. :thumbs-up:

Maybe an LX model ,I dont really know the difference in each model ,but that one has the pillow ball
steering an the Force 21 engine!
Hobao may interchange on some parts if needed ,not sure ,if needed ,an I have some new in a pkg
set of front A-arms but not sure if they are for C-hubs or pillow ball type steering ,nice find!.. :thumbs-up:
Thanks, I kind of thought the FC stood for Force, but I wasn't sure, thanks for backing that up for me on the engine. I take it the Force 21 engine is a good engine. I see the explanation point.
I love .21 3 port engines. Would you know if it is a simple 3 port engine? I'm not getting till tomorrow, so I don't know how many ports, just assume it's a 3 port as I haven't opened the engine up yet. I also love 3 port engines, easiest to do sleeve work on.

Last edited:
Thanks, I kind of thought the FC stood for Force, thanks for backing that up for me on the engine. I take it the Force 21 engine is a good engine. I see the explanation point.
I love .21 3 port engines. Would you know if it is a simple 3 port engine?

Yes it is a 3 port ,but the Hyper 21's was the better ones!.. :cool:

Hobao ,Hong Nor & ofna's were basicly the same an you can still find some odd & ends
of Ofna parts on E-bay!..:thumbs-up:

I come from nitro boat racing, so I'm used to K&B, Old Sig Rossi, Rossi, Picco, CMB engines.
I have been researching Ofna and I guess Ofna was a distributer and either Hobao or Hong Nor manufactured the kits and rtr's.
I had no clue until a few hours ago Ofna was no longer lol.

This engine I'll just match the case to the sleeve for a smooth flow in and out and back in, and maybe some squish band adjustments. Other than that, I most likely won't mess with intake, exhaust or boost timing "Just yet" :)
He said he only ran one time for a few minutes and never used it again. I just hope he didn't shut it off and leave the fuel in the engine and I hope the piston and case is not pitted to bad. But it's just an engine, easy enough to replace if it's too bad inside.

Thanks for the help and info.

I come from nitro boat racing, so I'm used to K&B, Old Sig Rossi, Rossi, Picco, CMB engines.
I have been researching Ofna and I guess Ofna was a distributer and either Hobao or Hong Nor manufactured the kits and rtr's.
I had no clue until a few hours ago Ofna was no longer lol.

This engine I'll just match the case to the sleeve for a smooth flow in and out and back in, and maybe some squish band adjustments. Other than that, I most likely won't mess with intake, exhaust or boost timing "Just yet" :)
He said he only ran one time for a few minutes and never used it again. I just hope he didn't shut it off and leave the fuel in the engine and I hope the piston and case is not pitted to bad. But it's just an engine, easy enough to replace if it's too bad inside.

Thanks for the help and info.

Also ,be watchful an check the little pin & spring for the starter shaft that is in the crank shaft ,
mine spit it out an destroyed the pist/sleeve!.. :thumbs-up:

Yes it is a 3 port ,but the Hyper 21's was the better ones!.. :cool:

Hobao ,Hong Nor & ofna's were basicly the same an you can still find some odd & ends
of Ofna parts on E-bay!..:thumbs-up:
Yes and no, Hong Nor and Hobao are 2 completely different companies that made cars for Ofna. Now as far as what cars were made by who I do not know.

Also ,be watchful an check the little pin & spring for the starter shaft that is in the crank shaft ,
mine spit it out an destroyed the pist/sleeve!.. :thumbs-up:
Ohhhh now that's some really good pointer right there!! Will do.
I never would have thought of that as I never had something like that happen with the pull start engines I had in the past. Usually, I rip the cord out but never nothing happens in the engine. I will make sure to check that out.
That's awesome info Thanks!!

Ohhhh now that's some really good pointer right there!! Will do.
I never would have thought of that as I never had something like that happen with the pull start engines I had in the past. Usually, I rip the cord out but never nothing happens in the engine. I will make sure to check that out.
That's awesome info Thanks!!

My Force 21 engine was the only one that did that ,but it could had been the little spring gunked up ,the
engine an buggy I bought used ,so the previous owner may have let it sit for a long time ,not sure ,but
the time I ran it ,the engine ran good!.. :thumbs-up:

This one certainly sat for a long time.
I'm thinking a good 9 plus years maybe without knowing production years.
I'm not going to ask the guy any questions. I figured get it home and figure it all out later. I'm just going to check out the diffs and make sure nothing diff wise is stripped.

This one certainly sat for a long time.
I'm thinking a good 9 plus years maybe without knowing production years.
I'm not going to ask the guy any questions. I figured get it home and figure it all out later. I'm just going to check out the diffs and make sure nothing diff wise is stripped.

You might want to check out how brittle the A-arms are too ,I heard in time they get brittle ,
I also heard by soaking them in WD40 helps soften them up ,not sure if that is true or not ,but
worth checking into if you dont already know!.. :thumbs-up: :cool:

In the BMX world we have Skyway mags that are made from Dupont plastic "I can't spell it Zynolite" I've heard of WD-40 for the same reason. I think it does more damage than good but people swear by it. I have redyed them black and that usually saved them from being brittle.
But that's just me. Boil then dip in dye.
I think the plastic should be ok on it. Let's hope lol

In the BMX world we have Skyway mags that are made from Dupont plastic "I can't spell it Zynolite" I've heard of WD-40 for the same reason. I think it does more damage than good but people swear by it. I have redyed them black and that usually saved them from being brittle.

I used WD40 one time to dust the dash board on a work truck one time ,it discolored
the plastics ,it pissed me off!.. :hehe:

ATF fluid on dull enamel paint on a Chevy Impala doesn't work to good either. Looked good for a week then the paint started to crack.
We all do things that sounded like it was a good idea.

I havent ridden a BMX in probably 10 years, but i thought Skyway went under. Anyway, on RC plastic, WD-40 can help, but, if not done right, can hurt the plastic. What i do is spray it on, let it sit for no more than 24 hours, then wipe off the excess. I havent done it in awhile, but thats how i always did it. As for Skyway mags, WD-40 can cause them to crack over time. A guy i raced with swore by it, and every year he would end up replacing at least one set from the cracking. I never did it, and was able to get one and a half seasons out of a set before they broke. We were harsh on bikes though, which didnt help.

I havent ridden a BMX in probably 10 years, but i thought Skyway went under. Anyway, on RC plastic, WD-40 can help, but, if not done right, can hurt the plastic. What i do is spray it on, let it sit for no more than 24 hours, then wipe off the excess. I havent done it in awhile, but thats how i always did it. As for Skyway mags, WD-40 can cause them to crack over time. A guy i raced with swore by it, and every year he would end up replacing at least one set from the cracking. I never did it, and was able to get one and a half seasons out of a set before they broke. We were harsh on bikes though, which didnt help.
Skyway sold to Colored Tuffs. Colored Tuffs is the guy who was silent partner to Skyway and dyed the Tuff Wheels and also is a BMX store. Long ago, Skyway stopped producing Red, yellow, Blue, mags and only made Black and White, Colored Tuffs would get the mags sent to him and then he would dye them. I think it was because Cali and restrictions and the eco system BS.

Before Colored Tuffs bought out Skyway all together, Colored Tuffs found a trailer full of 1984 unused Skyway TA frame tubing and hired one of the old school welders to weld it all back up (To this day no one knows who the welder was) but the welding looks simular to the Race inc, RM frame welds. Colored Tuffs had them powder coated white, no chrome was done just white, and sold the frames as 1985-2010 or something like that to make it hard for people to scam with the age of the frame. 1983 was the last of the TA's, the tubing was for the 1984 model that never went into production, so Colored Tuffs used a year of 1985 being there was never a 1985 TA. While welding the framesets, Colored Tuffs had ran out of fork dropouts and had to have them made, so he left out the cutout half arrow too. I had one of these 1985 2010 framesets (I had serial number 002, I got from the BMX Guru "CW Cycles" Anyways Skyway never really folded, more or less Skyway sold the business to a silent business partner and moved the machinery. During this time mags were not available and when the machinery was moved, it took a while for the new employees to learn how to produce perfectly molded mags. (The mags looked cartoonish) No sharp edges and wavy edges. Now they are beautiful.
Considering Colored Tuffs very long relationship with Skyway we in the sport don't look at it as not being Skyway, to us it is still the same Skyway just moved to another less restrictive State.

I never used wd40 on my mags, I re-dyed them. In BMX people mistake a faded mag for a brittle mag. By brittle I mean like the interior of a 1979 Camaro. This is why I re-dyed mine. Of course, I am talking about the mags that were produced in the 80's and 20 plus years later showed signs of fading (Red looking pink) (Black looking dark grey). I have never seen a brittle mag (Except for one set that sat out in the weather for 2 decades) but mags that were used normally I have only seen them just faded. I also never got out of BMX. But that's the jist of Skyway.

Last edited:
It would help if there was a chassis pic from directly overhead but I'm 98% sure its an OFNA Ultra MBX specifically. One of many variants of the LX models
Thanks, I just got it home, the flywheel collet is bad, so I pulled the engine to fix it.
But I hope this pic helps.
The engine looks amazingly good inside considering the previous owner left fuel in the tank.
The past owner left fuel in the tank, so I had to clean out the tank (It was bad) The carb is also clogged at the inlet, so I'll be cleaning that up too. Now fixing the collet.
I'm going to convert it into an on-road car, I had the Serpent on-road 1/8th and loved it.

DSCN6415.JPG

Lucked out the engine is in very good shape. After the fuel tank was left with fuel in it, I figured the piston top would be full of pits.
Sleeve looks great to0; the chrome is not scored at all. And the bearings are super smooth, I think it will run fine.

DSCN6418.JPG

Back