Nosweat's VS4-10 Phoenix Portal Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the motor/tranny, had a little modding to do. The front right top link mount had to be sanded a little to except the 37mm can. I also installed my RS800 V2 steering servo.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 180301.png

It's tough to beat Vanquish stuff, awesome build.
Thanks. Today I'm going to unsolder my Fusion Pro XT60 plug and replace it with a IC5 plug, I use Spektrum smart batteries and don't want to use a adaptor. I'm also going to wire in a RCY JST plug to it, so I can plug in my direct power servo. I have finished and installed my motor/tranny and servo. Sorry about double photo, forgot about page two.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 180301.png

Screenshot 2023-03-13 190547.png

Finished the small wiring job. Now I'm undecided weather to use this servo, it maybe to powerful for plastic axles. I have a set of Currie VS4-10 D44 black aluminum axles but was going to use them on a custom flatbed build. I might just get a different servo for this build and use the JST connection for the lights. I'll show you the custom flatbed, it has a rock pirates interceptor frame and servo mounts. I have cut the rear shock towers off because it will be a flatbed and will use a cantilever system of some kind.

Screenshot 2023-03-14 183258.png

Screenshot 2023-02-20 095408.png

Been busy so not a lot done. Half the drive shafts finished and installed on motor/tranny. Also modified A TRX-4 rear bumper to fit my Phoenix.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 094350.png

Screenshot 2023-03-17 175556.png

Screenshot 2023-03-17 175723.png

I'm using the stock body. All I had to do was use my 1x30 belt sander and round the square mounting posts, it fits nice and tight. I am in the process of modifying the stock bumper to fit in between the bumper and chassis. So that I have the tabs (holes) for the rear body posts. If that doesn't work and it will, I would manufacture angled L brackets from Kydex and attach to the rear rx (fuel cell) box. All that is left for me to do is sand the bumper down a little and maybe open the holes for the mount a little more. It already fits nicely but I want to have the bumper as tight as I can to the chassis. To make the holes in the bumper, I used a hacksaw to cut the two mounting post off flush with the inside bumper opening. Then I marked and made a starting hole with my x-acto knife (broke my tip) :cry: Then I used my drill press starting with a small dia. bit and drilled through the mounting post. I used bigger bits till I got to 1/4" and then I used a round file to finish it up.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 111954.png

Those are going to look great on there!

Can't wait to see the rear suspension setup. I am a sucker for cantilevers 😉
Thanks, but it may be a while before I get back to my custom flatbed. I want to finish up both of my VP Phoenix's first. My Phoenix portal will be finished up today as a matter of fact. Hubs and center caps for it came today, haven't opened the package yet just woke up and am having my first cup of coffee. When I get my wheels for my straight axle, I may have a problem. I think the stock 12mm hexes will not fit the wheels. The 12mm hexes are stepped down and I don't think the wheels are stepped down on the inside. That is easily remedied by getting Gmade clamp type aluminum 12mm wheel hexes like these. I'll have to get the wheels first so I can decide what size to get, they come in 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10mm. I don't want to run into the same issue that you do with portal axles needing longer SLW hubs to mount the wheels. This being a straight axle I shouldn't have that issue but you never know.

1679512783448.png

Yeah, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the wheels to fit. I am a sucker for widened stances on trucks, but I tend to try to keep the scrub steer to a minimum. Nothing a badass servo can't handle, but keeping the wheels in the wheel openings to me is kinda important. Look forward to seeing more of this build, so keepus posted!

Put the radiator and battery tray in so before I start the body, I need a place for my Rx. I've decided to put it up front next to the steering servo. I put the Rx in my black portal on the skid so no creek splashing for it. I want my straight axle to be able to tackle shallow water. I'm building my own Rx box for up front. First I made a base plate out of HOLSTEX™ Carbon Fiber/Tactical thermoplastic for the servo tray. I also setup my small jig table for tomorrow, when I start on the Rx box.

Screenshot 2023-03-26 023644.png

Screenshot 2023-03-26 023757.png

Screenshot 2023-03-26 024010.png

The forming of the Rx box didn't work as good as I thought it would. The material cools down too fast, especially when the material makes contact with 123 blocks. However I was able to get the bottom and two sides formed after a few tries, but no square 90 degree bend. I used epoxy and glued the sides on. Not finished yet, should be finished tomorrow. I did find some rubber for my wheels.

Screenshot 2023-03-28 233357.png

Rx box finished. I'll put shrink wrap on the grommet and wires when I install the Rx, I only have 30mm and 40mm shrink wrap right now.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 185547.png

Cleaned up the wiring, don't have the Rx installed yet. Need to setup the steering servo. No dig or od for this rig I may set it up later, its locked in low od for now. No tape on the ESC but its secure. This way I can plug into it easier I noticed when pulling out the plug protector and reinstalling it, it was a pain.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 053400.png