Nitro racing...buggies or truggies?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclop3000

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey all. I've always wanted to race nitro R/C for fun, and most tracks around here only race buggies and truggies. Since I am thinking of buying a new rig, i'm torn.

Can anybody tell me what the main differences are between racing truggies vs. buggies? Which do you prefer and why? I know it's a broad question, but I guess i'm just looking for advice/opinions. I do like buggies better, I think, but never driven anything else nitro than my Savage.

Thanks!

Hey all. I've always wanted to race nitro R/C for fun, and most tracks around here only race buggies and truggies. Since I am thinking of buying a new rig, i'm torn.

Can anybody tell me what the main differences are between racing truggies vs. buggies? Which do you prefer and why? I know it's a broad question, but I guess i'm just looking for advice/opinions. I do like buggies better, I think, but never driven anything else nitro than my Savage.

Thanks!

You're really not going to get an answer to this. It's like asking "What's better offroad? A Jeep or a Yota?".

Most truggies are in fact buggies with truck bodies and tires/wheels. It all really comes down to which class you want to run in.

A buggy is like a F1 car whereas a truggy is like a stock car. Buggies maneuver much better than truggies do. Truggies can take a bit more of a beating on the track and not get too out of shape. What I mean to say is that truggies are more forgiving, but they drive sloppier. They don't react as quickly as a buggy does and they are bulkier which makes them somewhat slower which is why the standard size engine for a truggy engine is a .28 whereas buggy's race with .21's. I've never been much of a truggy fan myself. It seems like a niche class that doesn't really need to be there. It's basically a high performance monster truck.

kinda jacken the thread here, sorry but this may help ya.

Whats the disadvangiges of racing with All wheel drive? I mean other then less steering and power lose.

I mean other then less steering and power lose.

Actually, that is not necessarily the case. Buggies and truggies both have 3 differentials and along with all of the other tuning devices they can have all the steering you'll ever need and not necessarily be loose off either. It's got a lot to do with the setup. AWD is just more stable. I've never raced 1/10 truck before (although I plan to this summer) I've always heard that 1/10 truck (2WD) is actually the hardest class to master.

kinda jacken the thread here, sorry but this may help ya.

Whats the disadvangiges of racing with All wheel drive? I mean other then less steering and power lose.

Disadvantages? You mean advantages? 4WD is great.

Thanks Lessen and RCAddict, that is what I wanted to know :)

A buggy is like a F1 car whereas a truggy is like a stock car. Buggies maneuver much better than truggies do. Truggies can take a bit more of a beating on the track and not get too out of shape. What I mean to say is that truggies are more forgiving, but they drive sloppier. They don't react as quickly as a buggy does and they are bulkier which makes them somewhat slower which is why the standard size engine for a truggy engine is a .28 whereas buggy's race with .21's. I've never been much of a truggy fan myself. It seems like a niche class that doesn't really need to be there. It's basically a high performance monster truck.

To add to what Lessen said, in regards to bashing vs racing, the truggies will be more satisfactory for bashing (like in grass) since they are more MT-like and can handle somewhat rougher terrain without too much strain.

Yes, their larger wheels yield more ground clearance so they are very well suited for just bashing around the yard but still very good performers on track. Just not my idea of a "race car" even though that's how they are marketed because that's what most people tend to do with them.

i personally like the trugy better...i'm not really sure why lol...to me i like the look and stance of the truggy better and i actually like the why they drive...i know they don't handle as good as a buggy but i like that lol....it's manly up to personal preference and driving style

A lot of people like both. Probably because it gives you another class to race in (if you're a racer). From a race standpoint I don't see the need. I'd rather run MT class, 1:8 buggy and 1:10 truck. 3 very different disicplines.

From a basher perspective I think they are great but overcomplicated for that purpose.

Back