Nitro engine leaks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. No, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks. That should save some headaches 😝
I use a paint marker or a dremel to make a mark on fly wheel.to know your at BDC. When done pull the plug use a wooden doel. Or a pencil and push the piston Down all the way. Nothing metal don't want to scratch the piston head..and you want the mark where you can see it while in the RC...you can see the black mark I got on my trx 2.5 and the piston down out of the top of sleeve..
Ok. Is there a way to check that without taking the head off?
Yup pull the plug
Do you have a pull start or rotary start?

Attachments

• 16354725836685110582775897952576.jpg
    16354725836685110582775897952576.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 16354727084907160013919203934328.jpg
    16354727084907160013919203934328.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 50
I would use a file or demel. To make mark. Or a paint oil based maker. A regular sharpie will wear off over time. And with the excess fuel with the nitros..or can try the Milwaukee makers. They Wright on and stay on everything... happy bashing bud. Need anyother help just come back we are always here...👍👍👍

quick update. Got the engine running a bit ago. Let it warm for 20mns (only got up to 115 though.) Fired up really easy and I didn't se any fuel coming out from where it had been leaking earlier. I did however see some smoke coming from the same area. Not a lot but a small wisp ever now and then. Should I leak test it?

quick update. Got the engine running a bit ago. Let it warm for 20mns (only got up to 115 though.) Fired up really easy and I didn't se any fuel coming out from where it had been leaking earlier. I did however see some smoke coming from the same area. Not a lot but a small wisp ever now and then. Should I leak test it?
Just a comment on the head warmer…. I have a Protek and the best it will do is about 110F or so. Same as yours. The heat gun is the better option if you have electricity available. Hope you get it completed sorted out. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Where exactly is this puff of smoke coming from. Can you take a picture of the engine and circle it or point it out. This is weird..🤔🤔
I'm wondering if theres a hair line crack in the casing. Or maybe the carb o-ring is dried out and has some splits in it

Is the head screws tight?
You can also pull the head an check the shims ,if they leak ,you can use 400 grit sand paper
an give them a rub down!..:thumbs-up::cool:

Is the head screws tight?
You can also pull the head an check the shims ,if they leak ,you can use 400 grit sand paper
an give them a rub down!..:thumbs-up::cool:
Yeah I was going to say give the gasket and shims a quick wet sand with a thou or higher sand paper.. the Baja is looking awesome bud..well done sir👍👍
This is where it seems to be coming from
View attachment 135745View attachment 135746
As cbaker65 said pull your gasket/shims. Give them a quick sanding. I would use high grit 1000 or higher. Give them a wet sand get any crap off of them..get a nice seat to them any tiny build up will not allow a good seal...👍👍

probably 5-10 minutes. yes it's in. It doesn't look damaged, maybe a little corroded/dirty. is that normal?
Should not be corroded.
Ok. Is there a way to check that without taking the head off?
After you are done running your after oil clean up, pull the glow plug and you can see the piston go to the bottom, stop there.

Ok! Thanks for all the help. I'll give the shims a sand and post an update when I get the chance to run it. If it would only stop raining 😒

Ok. quick update. I just got it up and running. It started up fine no problems, but I noticed when I'm running it I can hear A faint whistling noise. I'm running it without the body on right now so it might just be that I'm not used to hearing it without the body on. But I'm not 100% sure. But the main problem I'm noticing is that when I get up to a higher speed (about three quarters throttle) the engine will cut out for a second and seem like its going to die but it just barely keeps going. its fine at lower speeds though. Is my high speed needle to lean or rich? Or is it something completely else? I'm still a noob when it comes to nitro so I need all the help I can get 😜

Ok never mind. I richened the high speed needle up a bit and I could get to a bit higher throttle before it would cut out. So I just kept richening it a little bit at a time until I could get to full throttle. I'm still not sure what the whistling noise is though...

Last edited:
Ok. quick update. I just got it up and running. It started up fine no problems, but I noticed when I'm running it I can hear A faint whistling noise. I'm running it without the body on right now so it might just be that I'm not used to hearing it without the body on. But I'm not 100% sure. But the main problem I'm noticing is that when I get up to a higher speed (about three quarters throttle) the engine will cut out for a second and seem like its going to die but it just barely keeps going. its fine at lower speeds though. Is my high speed needle to lean or rich? Or is it something completely else? I'm still a noob when it comes to nitro so I need all the help I can get 😜

Ok never mind. I richened the high speed needle up a bit and I could get to a bit higher throttle before it would cut out. So I just kept richening it a little bit at a time until I could get to full throttle. I'm still not sure what the whistling noise is though...

I was going to say that it was too lean ,yea ,just keep richening it little by little until it smooths out ,an maybe another
1/16 of a turn after to be on the safe side!..👍

Back