Nitro engine acceleration issues.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadCharlieG

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I have an Exceed Rally Monster with a .18 VX engine. Really good engine! But I have noticed that on some days when I accelerate the engine sounds like it's about to die when it's accelerating. I tried adjusting the low-speed needle, as well as the high speed needle. Usually after doing that, it goes away, but I don't know exactly what I tuned to make it accelerate better! Just kinda goes away and when I try to recreate the problem to figure out what I did, I can't figure it out...

Anyone know what's going on?

the lsn controls take off and the hsn controls max speed. Best to be on the rich side on both so it doesn't die out.

Last edited:
If it is too rich it will bog and be sluggish, spit excess fuel out of the exhaust and cause extra stress on the engine. Usually if it's too lean it will flame out and die while not getting enough fuel. Neither condition is good for a nitro engine, propper tuning is very important, and will have to be done every time you run.

Chadcharlie, follow the flow chart olds posted. It should help you get it tuned properly. Also, dont adjust both needles at the same time, start with the lsn, get it to take off properly then adjust the hsn. If you dont have a temp gun buy one, it's a must have tool imo for tuning a nitro engine.

If it is too rich it will bog and be sluggish, spit excess fuel out of the exhaust and cause extra stress on the engine. Usually if it's too lean it will flame out and die while not getting enough fuel. Neither condition is good for a nitro engine, propper tuning is very important, and will have to be done every time you run.

Chadcharlie, follow the flow chart olds posted. It should help you get it tuned properly. Also, dont adjust both needles at the same time, start with the lsn, get it to take off properly then adjust the hsn. If you dont have a temp gun buy one, it's a must have tool imo for tuning a nitro engine.
Okay, thanks

Once tuned you don't have to retune it every time you run I don't and you don't need a temp gun. It's a nice option but not necessary.

We have the same weather almost every day here
That would be nice... here it can change pretty drastically in the same day this time of year, from 40F in the morning to 70F by lunch. Usually why my nitro's stay on the shelf until later in the Spring or Summer. Well... really, brushless is just quieter. lol!

That would be nice... here it can change pretty drastically in the same day this time of year, from 40F in the morning to 70F by lunch. Usually why my nitro's stay on the shelf until later in the Spring or Summer. Well... really, brushless is just quieter. lol!
Well it is like that, I just mean the middle of the day. It was 27F this morning and now it's about 67F. Usually has the same highs.

Only run in warm weather above 60F

Only run in warm weather above 60F
Sorry dude, when I lived in nc I ran mine in all weather, all temps, including in the snow. Also, in Florida you pretty much need to tweak the tune every time you run. Not a complete retune, just a usually a hsn tweak. So your blanket statements are not the same or even accurate in all locations.

Sorry dude, when I lived in nc I ran mine in all weather, all temps, including in the snow. Also, in Florida you pretty much need to tweak the tune every time you run. Not a complete retune, just a usually a hsn tweak. So your blanket statements are not the same or even accurate in all locations.
If you are constantly retuning every time then you are anal retentive. Break it in and then leave it alone. I nave never had to retune any of my engines. I live in the north and have lived in the south. I only run in spring summer and fall until the temp drops below 60F

If you are constantly retuning every time then you are anal retentive. Break it in and then leave it alone. I nave never had to retune any of my engines. I live in the north and have lived in the south. I only run in spring summer and fall until the temp drops below 60F
No, I just want optimal engine performance and engine life, tuning it once and leaving it may work for you, but I like my stuff to run perfect, at the perfect temps. To tell someone not to use a temp gun is bad advice. I have been running nitro for over 25 years, I have had nitro engines last over 10 years and continue to perform well. I have lived all up and down the east coast and have run in all temps, so again telling someone to not run under 60 is also bad advice. The only downside I ever noticed was plastic can get brittle in very cold temps. But I'll keep running all year, tuning it properly when I run, and you do you.

No, I just want optimal engine performance and engine life, tuning it once and leaving it may work for you, but I like my stuff to run perfect, at the perfect temps. To tell someone not to use a temp gun is bad advice. I have been running nitro for over 25 years, I have had nitro engines last over 10 years and continue to perform well. I have lived all up and down the east coast and have run in all temps, so again telling someone to not run under 60 is also bad advice. The only downside I ever noticed was plastic can get brittle in very cold temps. But I'll keep running all year, tuning it properly when I run, and you do you.
I see from your perspective but I still don't have a temperature gun. Heck.

I see from your perspective but I still don't have a temperature gun. Heck.
You can get them fairly cheap. I got one from radio shack many years ago for about 25, and just recently picked up a real nice raytek at a pawn shop for 15. Using one can help you figure out if you are running too lean, very high temps, or too rich, too low of a temp. Also imo you can not properly break in a nitro engine without one, especially using the heat cycle method. All my friends use to have me break in their enines for them.well worth the cost imo.

You can get them fairly cheap. I got one from radio shack many years ago for about 25, and just recently picked up a real nice raytek at a pawn shop for 15. Using one can help you figure out if you are running too lean, very high temps, or too rich, too low of a temp. Also imo you can not properly break in a nitro engine without one, especially using the heat cycle method. All my friends use to have me break in their enines for them.well worth the cost imo.
Oof. Guess I broke my engine in improperly..?

I got one from radio shack many years ago for about 25

I've had that one for 20 years, or likely one similar:
IR_thermo.jpg

Pretty sure it was $50+ though back then.

I use this one now, fits in my hip pocket better:
https://www.rcjuice.com/tools-accessories/accessories/hobbystar-ht-101-infrared-thermometer.html

I got it when it was on sale for $14.99. Reads about the same temp as the radioshack one which I keep near my chargers so I can keep an eye on pack/PSU temps while charging.