Nitro engine acceleration issues.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I just want optimal engine performance and engine life, tuning it once and leaving it may work for you, but I like my stuff to run perfect, at the perfect temps. To tell someone not to use a temp gun is bad advice. I have been running nitro for over 25 years, I have had nitro engines last over 10 years and continue to perform well. I have lived all up and down the east coast and have run in all temps, so again telling someone to not run under 60 is also bad advice. The only downside I ever noticed was plastic can get brittle in very cold temps. But I'll keep running all year, tuning it properly when I run, and you do you.
I have been running nitro for 30 yrs and don't run it the winter. It's bad and harder on the engines. I can tell by running my engines by the sound and don't need a temp gun. I have engines over 30 yrs. and still run like new. My oldest engine is a .21vfb up to a .21rxb. So I guess my engines last 55% longer than yours's because I don't run in the winter. So I don't need to retune anything. Leave it slightly rich and the engine will last longer. I bet your one of the that buy car fuel by the QUART???? LOL I don't rely on a temp gun. Its's just another crutch.

Never knew heat guns existed that long ago!...🤣😂
An I still dont need one!..😎
Oddly enough, I use it even more now that I run brushless. When I run nitro, I'd check the temp if the things were acting/sounding weird. I run nitro so infrequently now that my main issue when I do run them is carb o-rings drying out and the needles adjust themselves as the engine runs. Temps go all over the place. These days I tune more by sound/smoke than anything and check the temp once in a while to see how it's acting with the new tires/gearing or whatever I have changed since the last time.

I have been running nitro for 30 yrs and don't run it the winter. It's bad and harder on the engines. I can tell by running my engines by the sound and don't need a temp gun. I have engines over 30 yrs. and still run like new. My oldest engine is a .21vfb up to a .21rxb. So I guess my engines last 55% longer than yours's because I don't run in the winter. So I don't need to retune anything. Leave it slightly rich and the engine will last longer. I bet your one of the that buy car fuel by the QUART???? LOL I don't rely on a temp gun. Its's just another crutch.
I bought nitro by the quart a few times T .T

Oddly enough, I use it even more now that I run brushless. When I run nitro, I'd check the temp if the things were acting/sounding weird. I run nitro so infrequently now that my main issue when I do run them is carb o-rings drying out and the needles adjust themselves as the engine runs. Temps go all over the place. These days I tune more by sound/smoke than anything and check the temp once in a while to see how it's acting with the new tires/gearing or whatever I have changed since the last time.

I still may buy one for future reference to actually check engine temps ,just because I never had one does not
mean that I dont check the temps of the engines I run ,I know when they are too hot an know the heat is good
at where my tune is by feel ,by ear an even the smell of the exhaust ,the smoke will even have a good clean
distinctive smell to it!..:thumbs-up:.. :cool:

Dude, if you seriously want to get in to a pissing match we can go there. First off I buy several GALLONS at a time, not that it's any of your damn business. Second, how is it a crutch? It's a tool, and anything that aids in proper tuning is a positive. So I guess your "ear" is more accurate than a temp gun. So go pat yourself on the back, your 35 year old nitro engine and your ear are far superior to everyone else to ever run a nitro truck. Btw, run my trucks all year, not just at the temp it's tuned to, so your math is way off, the rest of they time you play keyboard warrior. If you continue to give out bad advice I will continue to call you out on it. Maybe if you learned to tune properly and not run everything rich you could actually run more often. Not just at certain temperatures.

Dude, if you seriously want to get in to a pissing match we can go there. First off I buy several GALLONS at a time, not that it's any of your damn business. Second, how is it a crutch? It's a tool, and anything that aids in proper tuning is a positive. So I guess your "ear" is more accurate than a temp gun. So go pat yourself on the back, your 35 year old nitro engine and your ear are far superior to everyone else to ever run a nitro truck. Btw, run my trucks all year, not just at the temp it's tuned to, so your math is way off, the rest of they time you play keyboard warrior. If you continue to give out bad advice I will continue to call you out on it. Maybe if you learned to tune properly and not run everything rich you could actually run more often. Not just at certain temperatures.
Who' pissing who????/ I buy my fuel by the case's YEA cases 8 cases per year. Relying on a tool to tell you weather your engine is in tune or not doesn't learn a damn thing. I stopped using it and go by sound and knowing where my needle setting are. There are too many variables when tuning an engine. and different brands of fuel which will affect temp range and optimum performance. Winter tuning will greatly shorten the life of the engine as it will never get to operating temp to optimize burning of fuel which make the engine work harder. I'm not going to run a engine at 0F in the winter. I tune my engine's to run properly for summer and that it. I 'm not going to play the re tune game like you all year long and not have any fun. I have other things I can do. keyboard warrior. I give good advice and will continue to do so!

So you only run in summer, never change your tune, refuse to use a proven tool that helps keep an engine running it's optimal temperature range because your "ear" works better, and buy 8 cases of fuel at a year, yeah riiiiight. You speak in absolutes "do not run under 60 degrees" , try and insult me saying " I bet your the kind of guy that buys fuel in quarts" insinuating people who do are somehow less than you, and you think this makes you an expert. I'm sure more of us than not tune frequently, use a temp gun, and run under 60. We have seen your kind here before, the guys that think they know better than everyone else here, and refuse to acknowledge others. Guess what, they don't last. I have been here 20 years and seen guys like you come and go.

So you only run in summer, never change your tune, refuse to use a proven tool that helps keep an engine running it's optimal temperature range because your "ear" works better, and buy 8 cases of fuel at a year, yeah riiiiight. You speak in absolutes "do not run under 60 degrees" , try and insult me saying " I bet your the kind of guy that buys fuel in quarts" insinuating people who do are somehow less than you, and you think this makes you an expert. I'm sure more of us than not tune frequently, use a temp gun, and run under 60. We have seen your kind here before, the guys that think they know better than everyone else here, and refuse to acknowledge others. Guess what, they don't last. I have been here 20 years and seen guys like you come and go.
Don't worry about monstertruckier15, his ears are already damaged, he couldn't tell the difference between an engine runs with 2 tune pipes and one with a single tune pipe. He gave advices on a Kyosho engine pull start that uses 3D system that he never owned or know. Everyone here knows he is a fake. Any time people have a different opinions and he is right and you are wrong. I have run nitro in the winter and have no issue in Canada, just avoid getting frost bite. This guy has some basic knowledge but no expert.

When I lived in North Carolina I use to run in the snow. Waterproofed the electronics. I still have the pics on my old pc, it was a blast. I am certainly not going to limit when I run just so I don't have to retune.

I bet he never seen one of this ArtAttack
in action. We should never drive our car/truck when outside temperature is lower than 60 :stop:, ouch.

Well said.

Okay, I'm sorry I made this thread. While you ALL provided information that will help in the long haul, now some people are upset at each other, and I'm sorry. You run your nitro what you see as best! Buying by the quart should not be looked down on. It's what I did before I really got into nitro. I'm going to ask the guy at the local hobby shop, because I'm getting mixed messages. Thank you for the help!

Chad, you have nothing to be sorry for. And your 100% right, no one should be looked down upon for buying quarts. There will always be conflicting viewpoints, it only gets ugly when someone can't accept the other viewpoints, and resort to insults. Your fine, and don't hesitate to ask questions when you need to.

I bought nitro by the quart a few times T .T
there is absolutely no problem buying fuel by the quart if that amount is what best suits your needs. if I'm at a stretch that I'm not going to be able to run much, ill buy quarts, if i know I'm going to be able to run alot ill get a gallon if possible. i also dont like ot have fuel sit for long periods.
for shipping purposes sometimes its cheaper to buy a gallon in quarts depending on if the seller is absorbing or if they add it extra for shipping.
places like Bones brew selling any mix of fuel including custom sells their "gallons" in quart jugs, works out to about 33$ a gallon for 30% because free shipping on 3 gallons (12 quarts) orders.