Newbie with motor and esc questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdecoudres

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm new to this electric rc world. My question is. If i bought a electric traxxas with no motor or esc. If i was to get a new castle creation motor or esc is there any limit on the size I could put in there. For example if i wanted to go buy the biggest fastest motor and hop up this truck would it work or why are there limits and how do u know what they are? Thanks

What truck do you have? Generally, you want a lower kv motor for off road use, heavier vehicles. Higher for on road use, lighter vehicles. Higher kv motors spin faster, but have less torque. If you run too hot(higher kv rating) of a motor with too tall of gearing, everything will get hot and you run the risk of ruining batteries.

In addidtion to what Matt said, i ran too high of KV with 3s on my slash, and a full pack on grass/dirt had my motor catch fire. What rig are you using? It is all about gearing matched with motor and battery to make a rig safe/fun to drive.

Absolutely. The fastest motor won't get you the fastest vehicle. It's all about proper setup to your conditions.

well i have a 4x4 slash but i know where i can get a 2wd slash and i wanted to convert it into a buggy. it doesn't have a motor or esc so i was thinking about converting it into the buggy and then buying a motor and esc set up that will move. Not really going to race just personal preference i wanted to do to it just thought i better find out some more info on all of it.