Newbie With £300 Budget For Drift Kit.. Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_Shaun

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been looking at getting in to the hobby for a while now but I’m a little stuck so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I would like a decent beginner set up for outdoor on road drifting. So far I have decided on the following…

• Tamiya tt02D chassis
  • Dumbo x6 controller (includes a gyro and has channels for lights)

I have looked at the Kyosho Fazer MK2 but I’m little concerned regarding replacement parts availability. I don’t want to be waiting like 2-3 weeks for parts to arrive if I break something. I also like the idea of the Tamiya as there’s almost an infinite catalogue of upgrades.

I really want to build my own kit as well ideally so I don’t want an rtr or used.

Thats as far as I’ve gotten as I’ve no idea regarding Gyro’s, ESC, Batteries, charger. I have a top budget of £300 so if anyone could compile a little shopping list with what they’d spend the budget on that would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Shaun.

Now I'm not a drifter but I know a few local guys that are. So with that Id say if you're going to be running against other people Id suggest an MRX or Yokomo drift kit. Id also find out what the other folks are running in your area, RWD or AWD drift kits, before buying a kit of any kind.

If it were me, Id get a high end fast servo, Id start with a 17.5T motor, and Id use a high quality radio because drifting is a high precision sport.

If you dont already have batteries, charger, radio etc then I dont believe your 300lb budget is feasible imo. A good kit alone with out electronics will run you that much or more. Just my .02

dint think gyros worked well in drifting.
There seem to be a fair amount of people that use them but just like traction control/ABS etc in a real car I feel like if you only learn to drive/drift with computer help it prevents you from ever really learning how to drive it properly yourself.

If you use traction aid in a real car, it is meant to prevent drifting. And based on my limited use of them, they try to counter any drifting, so I can't see why you would use one at all in a drift car.

If you use traction aid in a real car, it is meant to prevent drifting. And based on my limited use of them, they try to counter any drifting, so I can't see why you would use one at all in a drift car.
People use them on RWD drift cars cuz theyre harder to learn how to control vs an AWD drift car. At least thats my theory why they use them anyway