Newbie radio questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadds

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I'm still pretty new to the hobby, owning just a T-Maxx now. A kit will be next purchase, so I'm looking for a radio.

My 1st question, why are most available radios 3-channel. Isn't the 3rd channel only used if you have reverse, or some other "extra" function? Any other reason I need a 3-channel?

Also...most of the decent radios I have looked at are all FM. Will an FM radio control an AM reciever is they are on the same Mhz? I'm asking this so I know if I could used my T-maxx with the stock AM receiever, with an aftermarket FM radio.

Thanks a lot!

Chad

no its gotta be fm or am on both sides, and try to stick to the same brand on the tx and rx.

Well Chad needing a three channel radio is completely up to you and what you will be getting for your kit purchase. Yes the third channel is for just that an extra function other than throttle/brake or steering. Depending on what you are getting and if it will need reverse or what have you it's kind of up to you if you will need it or not. The AM FM debate is one that is kind of different too. I hear that FM is the way to go if you to any club racing or bashing with buddies.

At last,something I know a little about...:>).....AM and FM are two,totally different forms of 'MODULATION'.......one is NOT compatable with the other...you need to buy an FM transmitter and receiver....RCR

Back