Want to get into nitro, I think I want a Revo 3.3!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornet49

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I’ve recently got back into Rcs. I’ve got 3 electrics now, a Maxx, Hoss and a used Slash 4x4 VXL that I turned into a Stampede. They’re great fun for me and the boys. Most of our running is on grass in open fields or pavement. With some jumping and bashing.

Just looking for something new. I’m good with engines, gas or diesel, 2 stroke/4 stroke. Whatever it may be. I be been repairing VWs as a side gig for many years, So I just think moving into nitro is a logical step.

I’d like to stay with Traxxas. I’m happy with their products and the aftermarket support. I’ve been looking for a used Revo 3.3 in decent condition, preferably stock, as I like to do my own mods. Missed a nice one on eBay last week that had a bunch of extra wear parts for the price of a brand new one. Most of what I’m seeing are the older versions with the older TQ radio. Ideally, I’d like to find one setup with the TQi radio with telemetry built in.

Is there anything I should be looking for when buying used? Engine issues, gearbox issues, stuff like that. Not exactly sure how to check compression on one of these engines. I guess if I could see it run, that would be best.

Replace the 3.3 carb with an o.s. carb 11. They have 2 versions, one for tmaxx and one for revo. has been said to wake the beast so to speak.

As for compression, gently pull the pull start if you can't reach the flywheel. If it locks right before and after TDC I'd a good start. The Hardee it is the better.

With nitro they heat and expand, differently then ice. Being the tiny picky motor, if it's worn or scored it will run like a bat out of hell then the performace drops when warm as it loses compression.

If it has optidrive...... unplug it and shift at a stop to reverse. They are more problems units then decent working ones it seems.

Thanks. I had planned on getting the OS carb for it as a first upgrade. Is there any downside to the TQ radio? I like the Bluetooth setup of the TQi and I’m pretty sure that doesn’t work on the TQ.

If it's the original long antenna I'd replace it. I've had 2 or 2.4 and a bunch of am traxxas radios. I like the old school throttle trim. Some current trx remotes don't have that, something nice for nitro. Traxxas radios are ok. Personally I got a Flysky gt5 and like it.

The old antenna, I squeezed the trigger to hard and high to pry it out of the case as my nitro sport was wot.

If it's all you got they are OK, but there is better options. I haven't messed with any telemetry yet.

Have you considered a new 1 ? For the cost you really get a lot of nice new features. I picked up a pretty clean used model for $200. But I feel like I could have gotten a lot more value with a new one. Things like built in temp sensor, 17mm hex wheels. The handy tools and most importantly unmolested. At more than twice the cost I still feel it would be more bang for the buck and you will know how it was broken in and everything will be tight and right with a reasonable support and warranty. Not saying used is a bad way to go. Just really worth considering.

I wouldn’t be looking used and expect new like performance or run-ability. I’ve bought 6 RC nitros over the last 6 months. One was as stated. The rest were mislabeled and while some did run, I’ve put a “new”motor in everyone except one. I’ve replaced about 100 screws that were missing. Steering servos on everyone but 3. New battery boxes, fuel tanks, wire harnesses for ex start, etc….

My point is the ones in better condition brought higher prices. Few people sell a workable nitro for cheap. They don’t have to.

There are a few deals out there though. You just gotta find them. If you can’t find an acceptable compromise, buy new.

A good bit of nitro troubles come with people not knowing how to tune properly. It’s a very easy process if the carb is decent. So, if you buy used and have a problem getting it running right, return the carb to or very close to factory settings. Adjust idle gap and start tuning from there.

Personally, unless I came across an obvious deal on a used one, I’d buy new being this is your first nitro. You won’t spend lost time chasing your tail that way. You’ll learn much quicker.

Thanks for the input guys. From what I’ve found, new looks like my best option. It seems like every used one I come across is more than a new one and most of them are not the latest version with TQi radio. Only 2 so far I’ve seen that I would have considered actually buying. One of them has all Integy or something metal parts on it and has never been run. But I don’t want to pay extra $200 for a bunch of aluminum parts that I don’t necessarily want. Definitely don’t want aluminum control arms.

Thanks for the input guys. From what I’ve found, new looks like my best option. It seems like every used one I come across is more than a new one and most of them are not the latest version with TQi radio. Only 2 so far I’ve seen that I would have considered actually buying. One of them has all Integy or something metal parts on it and has never been run. But I don’t want to pay extra $200 for a bunch of aluminum parts that I don’t necessarily want. Definitely don’t want aluminum control arms.
Definitely dont, integy quality is crap and you don’t want much aluminum on an off road basher. I’d also ditch the Traxxas radio kit and servos

Especially if this is your first nitro.....Don't buy used. They can be finnicky as it is and takes a bit to get good at tuning them.

I know what @easy rider is talking about. They'll say things like, "I don't have time to drive it". Or "Just needs X". It's usually broken. I've owned over a dozen nitros. Still have two. Know how to weed through the BS. But, if the price is right and you know how to fix it....

Well, I got to the hobby store on Friday and ordered a Revo 3.3, as they didn’t have any in stock. Should be in this week, not that I’ll be able to run it for awhile. Just got a foot of snow!

Well, I got to the hobby store on Friday and ordered a Revo 3.3, as they didn’t have any in stock. Should be in this week, not that I’ll be able to run it for awhile. Just got a foot of snow!
Awesome man. If you gotta clean the driveway, might as well break it in while in the snow. Buy a motor heater or use aluminum foil to wrap the motor. Get it upto 180 and don’t exceed 220 during the first 5 tanks. Then tune that baby and let it rip!!!

Nitros can be touchy and you have no clue what someone else has done to the engine. I would start with a new one.