Newbie full stop!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerville_24

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Ey up all.
Always wanted a rc car but never had one.
Been looking last few days and have come to conclusion nitro will be better than electric for me.
Could be wrong yet but with run time and charge time (The need of a good charger £££.

Anyways I've seen the Torro and think that's what I'm gonna get.

Just wanna know..
If I get a kit on most sites it seem to add the extra stuff to get going fuel batteries ect.
Just wondered if these things batteries and glow starter ect are probably bog standard are they gonna go wrong sharpish, or are the sundries not to important.

Should I be thinking Hump packs and better glow starter or will these be ample for the time being, will the batteries last a few runs??

Probably over thinking but if possible get the knowledge buy once be happy.

Cheers all.

Welcome to RCTalk! I'm an electric guy so can't help ya on the nitro stuff but plenty of others here I'm sure will be glad to help you out👍🏼
What keeps you electric?
An I overlooking electric?

For a noob what would you need to run a car a decent length of time?

I have a bunch of electric and only two nitros. I haven't ran nitros in about 5 years, and really wasn't big into them at any point in my 35+ years in the hobby. But I am just getting back into nitro myself since I just grabbed a Mad Crusher from a friend here. I can't run it til I buy the fuel, igniter, etc though. My other car has a propietary starting system.

For me, electric is much simpler. Yeah, you need a charger and you have to educate yourself about LiPo safety and how to charge and store them. But it is far easier to toss a pack in and go have fun than it is to tune a nitro every time the weather changes. But like I said, I don't have much experience with nitro.

The other thing is electric cars have way more torque. There is no lag when you hit the throttle. They just launch. But I love the way nitro cars sound. They just have that cool factor. Nitro cars don't seem to destroy their own drivetrain as much either.

As you get into this hobby, you may find you prefer nitro. You may find you prefer electric. Everyone is different 😉

Last edited:
I started with nitro it was a tether car with a airplane prop on rear went around in circle..had a few nitro's after that to me they are ok. I'm 99% electric now.. there is a cost in Electric or nitro ..e does take a tad more to jump into to start. and charging time is not that much,, E has its limits .can't do a ton of water but some can take a little..
Electric you will need a charger and battery charge bag..
Nitro you will need fuel costly for a gallon a glow plug igniter a charger to charge the battery and the ability to tune a nitro engine the correct way not to lene and not rich 1 way can damage a motor the other just wastes fuel(can do damage also) .
many of todays batteries of today can take a 5c charge if not more check batteries info (it does not take that long. .
if you can Id go to a place that has both that run and se what both go thru in the pit areas
and whats a decent length of time? if you need to run a longer time you can get more batteries...

Last edited:
Nitro has a higher learning curve in the beginning but electric has a higher start up cost so pick your poison. Theyre both very fun in their own ways. As to your question about them trying to bundle glow igniters etc and whether you should get those or buy better ones Id say it depends on exactly what they are trying to bundle. What they are trying to bundle may be fine or it could be cheap crap. We would need specifics on what they are trying to bundle in order to answer that question.

What is the Torro? I've not heard of that one.

What keeps you electric?

I started with electric due to the user friendliness and ease of use. Never ran a nitro as from what I've been told they are hard to keep running smooth always have to tune and adjust them. Also fuel burns up and lipos don't, well usually🤣, they just need charged and good to go again. Also I don't have a hobby shop anywhere close for fuel and other parts needed for nitro rigs. Yes typically run time is only about 20 minutes a battery then you need to let the electronics cool down and can run another battery. I also got big into speed running which to my knowledge a nitro rig won't do 140+mph like my electric cars do. The instant torque from electric is insane and also allows for crazy flips and big jumps etc which again I've not seen from nitro. I got hooked so that's why I stayed electric and again just the fact I don't have to order fuel I just charge my packs and go👍🏼 here's some videos of my rigs and why I stay electric😉

What keeps you electric?

I'm a newb also. I run electric. It's super easy start up. Lipos arent that scary. Just read up about charging and safety. I get 45min on 1 charge. Takes bout same to charge it. No breaking in motors or fuel richness. I love it.

I'm a newb also. I run electric. It's super easy start up. Lipos arent that scary. Just read up about charging and safety. I get 45min on 1 charge. Takes bout same to charge it. No breaking in motors or fuel richness. I love it.
Damn what size packs you running for 45min run time? Are you running a brushed setup as I get a good 20 mins maybe 25 with my 5000mAh packs in my rigs. I do also run hard as you see in my videos especially with all the room to play so I know that does play a part but still 45mins is a lot! Now with my crawler or my daughters brushed rig a 2000mAh pack will last well over an hour but that's way different also.

Damn what size packs you running for 45min run time? Are you running a brushed setup as I get a good 20 mins maybe 25 with my 5000mAh packs in my rigs. I do also run hard as you see in my videos especially with all the room to play so I know that does play a part but still 45mins is a lot! Now with my crawler or my daughters brushed rig a 2000mAh pack will last well over an hour but that's way different also.
My bad prob a bit high.

Yea its totally run style. Lol. I've never jumped. Or drive well enough to have too much full throttle. So when I first started with the 5000mah 50c 3s Spektrum. I would time it and get 35-40 usual. But then all my problems started happening. But even on a full 30min break at work I would be mad it wasn't slowing at 30min mark. A few of the runs were even decent but still all on ground but with good bit full throttle.

Although after reading this back. Maybe I was stretching it and now I'm dealing with that? 🤷

My bad prob a bit high.

Yea its totally run style. Lol. I've never jumped. Or drive well enough to have too much full throttle. So when I first started with the 5000mah 50c 3s Spektrum. I would time it and get 35-40 usual. But then all my problems started happening. But even on a full 30min break at work I would be mad it wasn't slowing at 30min mark. A few of the runs were even decent but still all on ground but with good bit full throttle.

Although after reading this back. Maybe I was stretching it and now I'm dealing with that? 🤷
OK that's makes sense👍🏼 ya I'm pretty much balls out most of my run and even on jumps for flips it requires holding full throttle in the air so that definitely sucks the pack down. As long as your not hitting LVC and still running your fine. Running after LVC kicks in will just possibly damage the lipo as it will drain it too much.

OK that's makes sense👍🏼 ya I'm pretty much balls out most of my run and even on jumps for flips it requires holding full throttle in the air so that definitely sucks the pack down. As long as your not hitting LVC and still running your fine. Running after LVC kicks in will just possibly damage the lipo as it will drain it too much.
I too only get maybe 15-20 min tops on a 5AH pack

Ey up all.
Always wanted a rc car but never had one.
Been looking last few days and have come to conclusion nitro will be better than electric for me.
Could be wrong yet but with run time and charge time (The need of a good charger £££.

Anyways I've seen the Torro and think that's what I'm gonna get.

Just wanna know..
If I get a kit on most sites it seem to add the extra stuff to get going fuel batteries ect.
Just wondered if these things batteries and glow starter ect are probably bog standard are they gonna go wrong sharpish, or are the sundries not to important.

Should I be thinking Hump packs and better glow starter or will these be ample for the time being, will the batteries last a few runs??

Probably over thinking but if possible get the knowledge buy once be happy.

Cheers all.
Welcome to RCT bud. Well nitro will have a larger learning curve. With the tuneing and glow plugs fuel components. But at a lower cost the Electric. The starter kits they sell depends on where your buying from? They will be OK. The battery 4AA pack will last a few runs. Maybe more. The igniter will be OK to get you started. The starter kit is OK overall. I would say start there. Get used to the RC of choice. Go over all the screws oil all wheel bearings. Basically go over the whole RC when you buy a RTR ready to run kit. They don't always come from factory 100%. Make sure there's good gear mesh between the bell clutch and spur gear on tranns. And it all depends where your getting it from a Hobby shop/site. Or from a non hobby dealer. But you will need patience with the nitro. But it will be fun that's for sure. Got any questions come back post up we will help you bud..👍👍

Nitro has a higher learning curve in the beginning but electric has a higher start up cost so pick your poison. Theyre both very fun in their own ways. As to your question about them trying to bundle glow igniters etc and whether you should get those or buy better ones Id say it depends on exactly what they are trying to bundle. What they are trying to bundle may be fine or it could be cheap crap. We would need specifics on what they are trying to bundle in order to answer that question.

What is the Torro? I've not heard of that one.
Ftx torro, looks like a short course truck, I think

Hmmm I dont know that brand, and you're right it is a short course truck. If I could make a suggestion, I would look at buying something from a more main stream brand thats going to have better quality and after market support.

In my personal experience of flying airplanes I always flew nitro. For thirty years. But it costs $35 dollars a gallon and goes bad if you don’t use it. So I switched to gasoline engines and never ran nitro again.

As for vehicle the oil and the mess around an internal combustion engine makes the 1/8 scale cars I have driven nasty to work on.

Electric is what I like the most. A short corse truck with a 2 s pack can run full throttle for ten plus minutes. I regularly run trail trucks on 3S for over an hour.

Definitely do what you want, but I would start with electric get in the hobby and find someone with a gas car. Buy there whole gas package. I bet you would pay very little for what you get.

Your correct. So question where do you live? The Ftx is a company in yhe UK. I don't know anything about that kit as above. Are you looking for that style of nitro RC?

Your correct. So question where do you live? The Ftx is a company in yhe UK. I don't know anything about that kit as above. Are you looking for that style of nitro RC?
I'm in the UK,
Just looking for summat to get started really.
And because I don't really know anything just trying to sound out what would be the best option for myself.

I'm in the UK,
And because I don't really know anything just trying to sound out what would be the best option for myself.
Look at some of the known name brands like Traxxas, Losi, or Associated,

I'm in the UK,
Ok cool. So your just getting into the hobby that's awesome. I love it. So your looking to get a nitro. There is a bit of a learning curve with nitro. But by all means go for it. Nitros a blast..nothing like it for sure..when looking at RCs you also want to look at part availability and aftermarket parts availability. Not just at the RC it self. Like it's said above I would say look at the know name brands. As they are more likely to have a better part and upgrade support.. have you looked to see what type of support that brand has? It says they have been around in the UK for a while. But that doesn't mean anything really. They can be around for a while and still make not so good RCs... I would look around in your price range see heat else is out there. Before you jump into it and get stuck with a POS. That you can't working or regularly get parts for....

Back